O Woes

dcm3w

Daddy
A few things I've gathered or atleast noticed about our offensive struggles.

1. Penalties
-we've had too many momentum killers which it seems like we are always clawing out of a hole. 42 for 314 yards. Those are not all from the offense but still not great.

2. OL
-we know they are the Achilles heel but something I noticed against Auburn and Alabama is that they both have dominating DLs yet we keep running it and often winding up in negative yards. Again, trying to fight our way out of a hole. I'd like to see more passing to establish the run.

3. Playcalling
-it hasn't been horrible but it's been questionable at times. I'm not calling for Helton's head. But we need to realize our weaknesses against superior opponents. They know our OL sucks and all they have to do is bring pressure. I would like to see more HB screens and other plays to keep the defense true.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
A few things I've gathered or atleast noticed about our offensive struggles.

1. Penalties
-we've had too many momentum killers which it seems like we are always clawing out of a hole. 42 for 314 yards. Those are not all from the offense but still not great.

2. OL
-we know they are the Achilles heel but something I noticed against Auburn and Alabama is that they both have dominating DLs yet we keep running it and often winding up in negative yards. Again, trying to fight our way out of a hole. I'd like to see more passing to establish the run.

3. Playcalling
-it hasn't been horrible but it's been questionable at times. I'm not calling for Helton's head. But we need to realize our weaknesses against superior opponents. They know our OL sucks and all they have to do is bring pressure. I would like to see more HB screens and other plays to keep the defense true.
Helton is "Mr. Predictable" on first down.... that has got to change

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think people want to know why our players are only allowed 1-2 plays at a time and then they are out. I don't think Bama took out there best receivers during the early parts of the game yet watching our game you don't know who is going to be on the field play to play. Same thing with running back. Chandler is our best back and there is no reason to play 3-4 running backs every game. Watched Bama hand it off to the same running back 3-5 times straight. Tn back makes a good run and he is out the next play. Same most of the time for receivers. Makes no sense.

Besides the penalties we have a lot of negative plays on 1st down which causes the series to fall apart usually

Chandler will play substantially more in winnable games going forward.

We can’t expect a football coach to stop everything he wants to do because he doesn’t have football players that can execute. They have to put their system in place and then recruit.
The current roster will have some kids get better and some that get recruited over. You cant band aid fix a decade of poor SEC play.

Chandler will play substantially more in winnable games going forward.

We can’t expect a football coach to stop everything he wants to do because he doesn’t have football players that can execute. They have to put their system in place and then recruit.
The current roster will have some kids get better and some that get recruited over. You cant band aid fix a decade of poor SEC play.

I agree with what you're saying because a system does not usually yield great results year one but there are a lot of things we could tweak to help us. I know we want to pound the rock but when it's a consistent 3-4 yard loss then maybe we need to look for other means of production.

OP, you can call for Helton's head if you want, but it won't do you any good...:D

PS. without proper execution playcalling will fall short every time...also, you just can't stop trying to run the ball...;)

GO VOLS...BEAT GAMECOCKS!

I think people want to know why our players are only allowed 1-2 plays at a time and then they are out. I don't think Bama took out there best receivers during the early parts of the game yet watching our game you don't know who is going to be on the field play to play. Same thing with running back. Chandler is our best back and there is no reason to play 3-4 running backs every game. Watched Bama hand it off to the same running back 3-5 times straight. Tn back makes a good run and he is out the next play. Same most of the time for receivers. Makes no sense.
I agree. It was the same under Jones with the receiver rotation..... used to drive me nuts

Where was this thread last week? Oh, yeah. We won.... We passed and ran about 50/50 on 1st this game. We were out talented, out classed, and outcoached from a player development standpoint. We could’ve had Josh McDaniels and Lane Kiffin calling the offensive plays and still wouldn’t have put up much if any more than what we did....

Actually with Lane you probably would have had better production from the offense. If anything he has proven to be a very good OC. Much better than we have now. The offense you saw at Bama was the one Lane brought in. We still would not have stopped them on defense.

The simple answer OP to your query is, the program is run by Jeremy Pruitt and he is trying to establish a game plan that he is comfortable with. He has to make his team understand that this program will have to give 100% on every play whether they approve or disapprove of the call that comes from the sideline. It may not meet the approval of some of the fans what is done on the field, but really, that is your problem, not his.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A bit of a different perspective...

Last year under ole you-know-who we:
* Put up 108 yards of total offense on Alabama, who would eventually be national champions
* Ran a total of 46 plays to their 86
* Got outgained by about 500 yards (they gained 604)
* Put up 0 points offensively - the sole score was on an INT returned by Bituli
* Better than half of our offense was John Kelly, who ran a respectable 12 carries for 63 yards for a 5.3 yards per carry average.

This year under Pruitt we:
* Put up 258 yards of total offense on Alabama, who are the presumptive favorite to win another national title
* Ran a total of 55 plays to their 74
* Got outgained by about 300 yards (they gained 545)
* Put up 14 points offensively - in addition to an INT return for a TD by Phillips
* Jauan Jennings had 102 receiving yards, the first receiver to have a 100 yard day vs Alabama all year.

There are maybe three teams in the country that can be on the same field as Alabama right now. We're not one of them and even those three are probably going to lose anyway. What we showed was flashes and a modest amount of progress. I'm glad to see us committing to running plays that we simply have to be able to execute. If we want to return to prominence, we have to be able to line up and run it on first down or any down, and out-execute everyone even if they know it's coming. I think the play-calling reflects some honest self-appraisal and that we're playing as much for next year as we are week to week.

Reactions: LibertyVol

VN Store

Back