NOMFW

I think this team features RJ plenty. Texas A&M gets credit for doing a better job of what Florida tried to do.

Jackson and Spear went 9 for 25 (combined) = 36% which is also what the team shot.

If you look RJ's misses, several were at the rim where she missed (maybe she was getting fouled and did not get the call) and she also missed some open mid range shots which are usually her bread and butter.

On the pluss side, Spear was 3 for 5 from the 3 pt. line but could not do much in the paint because of TA&M size.

I think the mistake Kellie made was trying to play "LV basketball" against a team that is built to defend that style quite well.

For the LVs to play head to head in the paint with Texas AM, they would need RJ to be lights out and a LOT more from Jillian and Key but that strategy still puts the LVS in the eye of the proverbial storm.

What I wanted to see mid 3rd quarter, when it became very clear that the LVs were not making headway getting back in the game, was to starting letting our perimiter players like Spear, Puckett, Powell, Darby all let em rip from 3 and hope that RJ and Hollingshead could snare some of the long rebounds.

On several occassions, Puckett passed up an open three to drive into the paint for a forced shot or a TO. She was 2-4 from beyond the arc so the % trajectories for she and Spear seemed promising and spreading the floor would have created more space for RJ.

I get the sense that Kellie just does not prepare the team for a plan B outside shooting option. Her go-to adjustments seem to be tweaking defenses and just trying to get more effort from players.

And that approach worked in the first 3 games but coming in, Kellie was clearly worried about Texas A&M size and athleticism. TA&M had a physical advantage for most of the "in the paint" match-ups.

And last but not least, Texas A&M really capitalized on Powell and Wynn's tendencies to over dribble. Our best offensive sets were the few occassions that the team moved the ball quickly and decisively.

There is a lot to be learned from the game. The question is whether those potential lessons will be translated into growth.

This game is a crossroad game because there are several teams in the SEC that are built like Texas A&M. If Kellie can't crack this code, the season could go sideways.

The "Rickea will save us with a 30-15-5 game" whenever needed strategy is not sustainable.
I appreciate you opinion, but I have not seen very much on the court to convince me this team will make it to the NCAAs. The team stands around to much and plays like they have a ton of bricks in the shorts. They have way too many turnovers from simple passes and losing the ball off the dribble. They do not block out on rebounds and if they are not hitting threes, their offense stall. On the rare occasion when they play aggressive defense and offense, they can be very competitive, but that does not occur very often. Quick fast teams give them a lot of problems at both ends of the court. I really hope I am wrong, but have not seen much to convince me they can pull it off.

There's an obvious lack of hustle. Getting back on defense. Stopping the ball on the break. Their not motivated to win.

Reactions: gule
I appreciate you opinion, but I have not seen very much on the court to convince me this team will make it to the NCAAs. The team stands around to much and plays like they have a ton of bricks in the shorts. They have way too many turnovers from simple passes and losing the ball off the dribble. They do not block out on rebounds and if they are not hitting threes, their offense stall. On the rare occasion when they play aggressive defense and offense, they can be very competitive, but that does not occur very often. Quick fast teams give them a lot of problems at both ends of the court. I really hope I am wrong, but have not seen much to convince me they can pull it off.
The game was on at the restaurant I was eating at. I haven't watched a ton of Lady Vol basketball. I see the grumblings on here and on Twitter. I was somewhat amazed at how unathletic the team looks. You would think that this place could bring in a higher caliber of athlete than what we have. We looked slow.

I disagree whole-heartedly
We have championship caliber players in
Jewel SPear
Rickea Jackson
Jasmine Powell
Tamari Key
Jillian Hollingshead
(Talaysia Cooper)

And role players in
Tess Darby
Karoline Striplin
Sara Puckett
Destinee Wells

What we don't have is a coach with SEC vision
Kellie is still coaching this team as if it was in the MVCconference

Featuring "individual talents" and incorporating a "team" around them wins in the SEC

Kellie is doing it backwards in trying to incorporate an individual talent into a "team"

We don't run plays for our elite players
We give them the ball as a last option not as a designed play
That even goes for our role-players...
example: Tess can knock down a 3 if it is not contested,,,when was the last time you saw a designed play to open up her for a shot?

Hate to say it but Kellie, unless she contracts someone on her staff with the cochungas to talk to her without fear...Will go the way of Holly.
Holly surrounded herself with "yes men" and anyone with a vision or opinion that didn't coincide with hers was dismissed.
Watch what happens after this season.
If Kellie is retained, there will be a change in her assistant staff.
The voice of reason. And experience.

Jewel SPear
Rickea Jackson
Jasmine Powell
Tamari Key
Jillian Hollingshead
(Talaysia Cooper)

And role players in
Tess Darby
Karoline Striplin
Sara Puckett
Destinee Wells

Featuring "individual talents" and incorporating a "team" around them wins in the SEC

Kellie is doing it backwards in trying to incorporate an individual talent into a "team"

example: Tess can knock down a 3 if it is not contested,,,when was the last time you saw a designed play to open up her for a shot?

Hate to say it but Kellie, unless she contracts someone on her staff with the cochungas to talk to her without fear...Will go the way of Holly.
Holly surrounded herself with "yes men" and anyone with a vision or opinion that didn't coincide with hers was dismissed.
If we have all that talent, why is the team not playing up to that level? They still don'r run th floor, play defense, stand around on defense and offense, play good man or zone defense, Etc. It seems that they play with more effort when they get behind by 10-15 points, but they not even do that Sunday. They just do not seem to be interested in playing hard enough to win game in which they are supposed to have equal or better talent.

If we have all that talent, why is the team not playing up to that level? They still don'r run th floor, play defense, stand around on defense and offense, play good man or zone defense, Etc. It seems that they play with more effort when they get behind by 10-15 points, but they not even do that Sunday. They just do not seem to be interested in playing hard enough to win game in which they are supposed to have equal or better talent.
My theory
And it is a theory ONLY
the reason it takes 10-15 points to wake them up is once the embarrassment begins it becomes personal to the players.

The reason it gets to that point in the first place (again,,,my theory only)...Kellie is losing ground;

She coaches by emotion, not strategy.
She has spoken several things in pressers that hurt her from an emotional response,, not a tactical response and has thrown players under the bus.
"In-game" moves are subbing more personnel, not tactical move or counter moves.
She starts her favorites, not the best players for each game's matchups.
She has yes-men coaches in her staff,,, not individuals who will tell her what she doesn't want to hear.

And as I say, this is just my opinion for what its worth, or not worth

Last edited:
The team has ZERO sense or urgency ,until they fall behind by double digits..

This scenario cause fan heart attacks and Kellie her job eventually..

Reactions: Volfan2012
It's like their going through the motions. It's a game, they play, but it's like their heart isn't in it. Turnovers, mental lapses, lack of hustle, not getting back on defense on a fast break. These are fundamental things that will make a team end up in the loss column more than not.

Jewel SPear
Rickea Jackson
Jasmine Powell
Tamari Key
Jillian Hollingshead
(Talaysia Cooper)

And role players in
Tess Darby
Karoline Striplin
Sara Puckett
Destinee Wells

Preach.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back