No Man's Sky (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Anything that slows down this game anymore is a terrible idea. I don't like the idea of having to refine stuff
Yes, I agree regarding the refining process. I guess I meant to say that the multiplayer addition (and optional third person view) improve the game's status for me, but the more complex mining is too complicated.

I love the refining process addition to the game. Just feels like another level of crafting to me.

gave the update a try. Its still the exact same, boring, buggy, pointless game. will be re-uninstalling it.

New free update dropped today. The new update brings VR support, new multiplayer features, revised missions and tutorials, new added story content, and much more.

Beyond Update - No Man's Sky

Wow I've been following this game way before it came out. I bought the game at launch and like pretty much everyone else was super disappointed...but with that said this doesn't even look like the same game anymore. Looks like they really improved it!

Wow I've been following this game way before it came out. I bought the game at launch and like pretty much everyone else was super disappointed...but with that said this doesn't even look like the same game anymore. Looks like they really improved it!

Yeah I'm curious to try it out. I haven't played it in forever. I'm actually thinking about deleting my current save and just starting over. Last time I just jumped in, not really knowing what I was doing. This time I'm going to use a strategy guide and follow the advice of those who have a lot of experience with it. From what I've read there's certain critical things you need to do early on that will make the long term experience much better.

Bought this gave a long time ago and never played more than an hour. Might be time to give it another shot.

Bought this gave a long time ago and never played more than an hour. Might be time to give it another shot.

It has definitely gotten better. I played more when they updated about the end of last year. That was a huge update and made the game way more playable. This update seems more fun and keeps sending the game in a positive direction. I may jump back in, but only if I have buds to play with.

Probably in the same boat as me with "hey I have already spent the money on it, may as well check out the update"

Probably in the same boat as me with "hey I have already spent the money on it, may as well check out the update"
Exactly. It always seemed like a cool game in some ways. Just not sure if it’s one I could get into or not.

It's a very "zen" like game. No, it's not run and gun action-packed like Destiny, though the space battles can get a little intense. But it's definitely a more chill experience than your typical modern video game. I'd love to try this out in VR.

Applaud Hello Games for continuing to support and building upon this game. Many companies would have taken the money and ran.........EA......cough cough.....Anthem.....cough cough
EA has been doing worse than Anthem for a LONG time. like early 00s.

Anthem at least you could play and have fun. for all of like 5 minutes. but that was 5 more minutes than some games EA has done and dropped.

Bump...
I have no idea what is considered a ton of money now. I have 1.25 bil credits. Need a better carrier from the S-Class but also need to build a ton of power sources now.

No magnetic hotspot there?

I call that a lot of money. You could run through it upgrading a ship of course. You can grind inventory slots for Star ships and freighters now though.

On the freighter(long)...

You can grind an S class by getting the freighter battle encounter. Play for 3 hours, doing whatever or afk. Then start warp jumping between wealthy tier star systems(you'll need an economy scanner), saving after each jump. You should get the random event of warping into a battle within 5 jumps. Once you do, kill the pirates and save the freighter. The captain will invite you aboard after. Check to see if it's S class. If not reload and repeat. After that you will get the encounter every time you reload and jump, even if you jump to a different system, as long as your jumping from the save just before you first got the encounter. Whatever freighter you get in a system will be the one you always get(but the class will varry), so find one you like in jump range. Then just keep jumping and reloading until you get that one in S class. It takes a while but you can do it in one sitting. Chances are best in wealthy systems, but you can get one in a medium system. S class won't appear in a poor system so don't bother with them. The freighters you get from that are "capital class" and better than the ones that just appear in systems. If there is a way to get a better one I'm not aware of it. Here are the designations for the 3 system tiers.

Low wealth types (common)
  • Declining
  • Destitute
  • Failing
  • Fledgling
  • Low supply
  • Struggling
  • Unsuccessful
  • Unpromising
Medium wealth types (uncommon)
  • Adequate
  • Balanced
  • Comfortable
  • Developing
  • Medium Supply
  • Promising
  • Satisfactory
  • Sustainable
High wealth types (rare)
  • Advanced
  • Affluent
  • Booming
  • Flourishing
  • High Supply
  • Opulent
  • Prosperous
  • Wealthy

Last edited:
Bump...

No magnetic hotspot there?

I call that a lot of money. You could run through it upgrading a ship of course. You can grind inventory slots for Star ships and freighters now though.

On the freighter(long)...

You can grind an S class by getting the freighter battle encounter. Play for 3 hours, doing whatever or afk. Then start warp jumping between wealthy tier star systems(you'll need an economy scanner), saving after each jump. You should get the random event of warping into a battle within 5 jumps. Once you do, kill the pirates and save the freighter. The captain will invite you aboard after. Check to see if it's S class. If not reload and repeat. After that you will get the encounter every time you reload and jump, even if you jump to a different system, as long as your jumping from the save just before you first got the encounter. Whatever freighter you get in a system will be the one you always get(but the class will varry), so find one you like in jump range. Then just keep jumping and reloading until you get that one in S class. It takes a while but you can do it in one sitting. Chances are best in wealthy systems, but you can get one in a medium system. S class won't appear in a poor system so don't bother with them. The freighters you get from that are "capital class" and better than the ones that just appear in systems. If there is a way to get a better one I'm not aware of it. Here are the designations for the 3 system tiers.

Low wealth types (common)
  • Declining
  • Destitute
  • Failing
  • Fledgling
  • Low supply
  • Struggling
  • Unsuccessful
  • Unpromising
Medium wealth types (uncommon)
  • Adequate
  • Balanced
  • Comfortable
  • Developing
  • Medium Supply
  • Promising
  • Satisfactory
  • Sustainable
High wealth types (rare)
  • Advanced
  • Affluent
  • Booming
  • Flourishing
  • High Supply
  • Opulent
  • Prosperous
  • Wealthy

No idea what you mean by "magnetic spot". And good to know I have a lot of money lol. A lot of this sounds quite like Elite Dangerous. Except they are REALLY in-depth with the star systems on that game.

No idea what you mean by "magnetic spot". And good to know I have a lot of money lol. A lot of this sounds quite like Elite Dangerous. Except they are REALLY in-depth with the star systems on that game.
If you have any survey devise for your visor, there are hotspots scattered around on planets that you can mine for minerals, gas, or power. Electromagnetic hotspots give you power. You just stick an electromagnetic generator on one and bam, 24 hour electricity. As you need more power, build more generators. It's preferable to solar if it's available.

Ships and space flight, in general, aren't as in depth on NMS as they are in Elite. I wish I could take the best parts of those two gamers and mash them together.

Ships and space flight, in general, aren't as in depth on NMS as they are in Elite. I wish I could take the best parts of those two games and mash them together.

Agreed! Give me ED Flight physics and No Man's Sky's actual content (including base building). I got bored of running passenger missions in E:D, and then trying to farm Guardian blueprints just burnt me out. No Man's Sky I can log in and go fly around, or i can go build up my base, or i can work on "quest" stuff. It is up to me what I want to do and how long i want to spend on it. In E:D, I was locked into 1+ hr just sitting there waiting to get to the destination of the station i will be delivering people, with the occasional pirate trying to kill me, which is more an annoyance than anything else.

Agreed! Give me ED Flight physics and No Man's Sky's actual content (including base building). I got bored of running passenger missions in E:D, and then trying to farm Guardian blueprints just burnt me out. No Man's Sky I can log in and go fly around, or i can go build up my base, or i can work on "quest" stuff. It is up to me what I want to do and how long i want to spend on it. In E:D, I was locked into 1+ hr just sitting there waiting to get to the destination of the station i will be delivering people, with the occasional pirate trying to kill me, which is more an annoyance than anything else.

I can't remember the name of the two systems in ED (that were next to each other), but a couple of years ago you could fly to a station in one of the systems, board hop and fill up your cabin with travelers, move to the other system and then fly to the station that was 200k+ ls out. Took ~20 minutes to do that so I would just start the journey and then switch over to Netflix and watch an episode of something while checking in on y stuff every 5 minutes to make sure everything was good. I made ~200 mil credits each time. That was awesome lol. I am pretty sure they have patched that up by now, if I remember correctly.

They're are parts off Elite I love. Flight physics, deep core mining, ship variety, and customization.

Then there are other parts that makes me absolutely crazy. Some of it was tedium. But mostly it was feeling like I was beating head against the wall figuring out game mechanics. I had a couple of friends playing that helped me out. Or I probably wouldn't have played it as long as I did. I would have been obsessed with figuring it all out, back in the day. But I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

It's like NMS makes traveling galaxy to easy, at times. While Elite makes it to hard.

Dang, I might have to reinstall this one. I bought it on discount and uninstalled it after a few days, but it sounds like several updates have made some major improvements.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Dang, I might have to reinstall this one. I bought it on discount and uninstalled it after a few days, but it sounds like several updates have made some major improvements.
They do multiple updates per year. How long has it been since you played?

They do multiple updates per year. How long has it been since you played?

A solid year and a half, maybe more. Just reinstalled it today, and got it updated. My game save was right where I left it off, apparently. I forgot how 'big' the game is in terms of worlds, etc.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
A solid year and a half, maybe more. Just reinstalled it today, and got it updated. My game save was right where I left it off, apparently. I forgot how 'big' the game is in terms of worlds, etc.
For sure, most of the systems I go to have never been visited. Check out the new derelict freighter missions.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back