Next game (Links): NCAAT - Sunday 3/31/2024 (2:20pm CBS) Purdue

Championship on the line and all, this seems like a good game to give CPhillips some run at the 4. Even 5-7 minutes would be a big contribution. imo

USCjr only made 19 FGs. Half of them must have been with 5-10 seconds left on the shot clock. Plus they grabbed several offensive rebounds after the shots they missed at the end of the shot clock or they were fouled with just a second or two - like right at the end of the first half.

Everything went right for USCjr that night.

Reactions: General Jack
This team has never lacked for effort. With the incentive of an outright SEC title along with the revenge factor, I believe we are going to see something special tonight. SC had everything go right that they could possibly get at Knoxville (along with UT playing its worst game of the year) and only won by four. Usually stay away from predictions but I think we are going to wear them out and there is nothing they can do about it.

Reactions: StoneokeyVol
USCjr only made 19 FGs........ like right at the end of the first half.

Everything went right for USCjr that night.

Sounds like the Football game two years ago, huh?

They couldn't tell their elbows from their arseholes up until they played us in Columbia, where they hung like 60 something points on us. I'm gonna blame that on Harbaugh and Beamers sign stealing deal-e-0, (for what its worth, Beamer still has a little on his chin if you look close), and move on.

Anyway, those filthy Dirt Peckers always seem to find a way to screw somebody's season up, and if not someone else's, well then its usually their own.

My wish is that we snatch the Coots very hopes and dreams out of the rest of their season by curb stomping them in front of a sold out home crowd in Columbia tonight.

Can I get a Hell Yeah or at least an Amen Brother from the cheap seats?

God Bless the Deacon RIck Barnes and the Volunteer roundballers tonight.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Football game two years ago, huh?

They couldn't tell their elbows from their arseholes up until they played us in Columbia, where they hung like 60 something points on us. I'm gonna blame that on Harbaugh and Beamers sign stealing deal-e-0, (for what its worth, Beamer still has a little on his chin if you look close), and move on.

Anyway, those filthy Dirt Peckers always seem to find a way to screw somebody's season up, and if not someone else's, well then its usually their own.

My wish is that we snatch the Coots very hopes and dreams out of the rest of their season by curb stomping them in front of a sold out home crowd in Columbia tonight.

Can I get a Hell Yeah or at least an Amen Brother from the cheap seats?

God Bless the Deacon RIck Barnes and the Volunteer roundballers tonight.

Hell yeah & Amen Brother!

This one doesn't come at a great time for us. Coming off a huge, emotional win against a bitter rival. A let down is really very normal. It's also against a very physical, slow paced SCjr team. Not the kind of team we usually do well against. Plus, SCjr is having one of "those years". They just believe and are super confident especially at their place. Know it's kind of crazy to call them a "trap game" given what's on the line and their record, but this is definitely one of those. All that plus the SEC regular season is right there for us to take.....nah, I just don't see us winning this one.

THE MATCHUP
Tennessee is 11-9 against Kentucky under Rick Barnes with at least one victory in eight of his nine years and two thrice. It won a top- 10 showdown on 2/3/24 behind a career-best 26 points from both Josiah-Jordan James and Zakai Zeigler, who added 13 assists.
• UT's 11 wins over Kentucky since 2015-16 are five more than any other team (Auburn and Kansas with six). It is 10-5 against ranked Wildcat teams—Kansas (five) has the second-most such victories— including 7-4 when Kentucky is in the top 15 and 7-1 when top-10.
• Under Barnes, UT is 7-2 in AP top- 25 matchups against Kentucky, including 4-1 with each top-15.
• In the 22 years before Barnes' arrival (1993-2015), UT went 9-35 against Kentucky, including 7-28 when it was ranked, including 4-24 when top-15 (2-21 in top 10).
• After going 22-12 (12-6) and making the NCAA Tournament, Round of 32, Kentucky placed fourth in the SEC preseason poll.
• Fifth-year guard Antonio Reeves paces the Wildcats with 20.0 ppg, the third-best mark in the SEC.

Last edited:
NEWS & NOTES
• Kentucky is the fourth straight ranked team—all are top-20—on UT's slate. The Vols have faced four straight AP-ranked foes just once (Jan. 20-31, 2004) and never played four top-20 teams in a row.
• In the last 20 years (2004-24), only twice has an SEC team played four straight top-25 teams in a regular season: Vanderbilt from 1/7-17/23 and South Carolina from 1/16-27/18. In the past 56 years (1968-2024), that Vanderbilt team is one of four from the SEC to play four AP top-20 teams in a row in the regular season.
• UT has beat AP top-25 teams in three straight outings for the first time. It has also won back-to-back games, both on the road versus an AP top-25 foe, for the first time.
• UT is the second team in the last 24 years (2000-24) to play Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina—the three winningest DI programs—a total of four times in the regular season while facing each at least once, joining Florida in 2014-15. It is the only team in that time to play all three away from home in the regular season.

NEWS & NOTES
• For the 11th time in program history, Tennessee is the SEC regular season champion. This is the Volunteers' sixth outright title.
• Rick Barnes' last win was his 100th in SEC play and his next one will be his 200th overall at UT.
• UT is in both the first (vs. Illinois) and last (vs. Kentucky) CBS broadcast of the regular season.
• Dalton Knecht's 24.6 ppg average in SEC play is the second-highest mark of any player in league action (min. two GP), behind only Zach Edey (25.4 in Big Ten). They are on pace to be the first Power Six players at 24.0 in league play since Markus Howard (28.7) and Luka Garza (26.2) in 2019-20. The only SEC players to do that in the last 22 years (2002-24) are Devan Downey (26.2) in 2009-10 and Jodie Meeks (24.9) in 2008-09.
• Knecht and Mason Jones (2019- 20) are the only SEC players in the last 14 seasons (2010-24) with six 30-point games and/or four 35-point games in a year. Knecht is the first since Jones—and only Vol ever—to win four SEC Player of the Week honors in a year.

VN Store

Back