Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

I think my problem with the Wii was two fold.

1.) I hated the fact that Nintendo did not embrace HD like Sony and MS did. I had just bought a brand new HDTV and was enjoying the games that were offered in the higher resolutions. There was no way I was going back to standard 480p definition with washed out colors and grainy, blurry imagery. The difference was too big and I had become spoiled.

2.) I really resented the fact that Nintendo was forcing me to play games a different way. I'm a stubborn SOB and I didn't want to get up and flail my arms. I wanted to sit my fat ass on the couch and push buttons! It would've been one thing if Nintendo gave us the option to play all games the traditional way but they didn't. Some games FORCED you to use motion controls and I just wasn't having it. I saw it as gimmicky BS from the beginning. The best thing that came out of the Wii was the Virtual Arcade.

This.

FYI, there will be an online tournament for Mario Tennis Aces starting June 1st and you can pre-download the demo now.

I have to say, just going by the menu presentation alone I can tell this game looks gorgeous. Colors really pop and the character models look super detailed.

I think my problem with the Wii was two fold.

1.) I hated the fact that Nintendo did not embrace HD like Sony and MS did. I had just bought a brand new HDTV and was enjoying the games that were offered in the higher resolutions. There was no way I was going back to standard 480p definition with washed out colors and grainy, blurry imagery. The difference was too big and I had become spoiled.

2.) I really resented the fact that Nintendo was forcing me to play games a different way. I'm a stubborn SOB and I didn't want to get up and flail my arms. I wanted to sit my fat ass on the couch and push buttons! It would've been one thing if Nintendo gave us the option to play all games the traditional way but they didn't. Some games FORCED you to use motion controls and I just wasn't having it. I saw it as gimmicky BS from the beginning. The best thing that came out of the Wii was the Virtual Arcade.

Yeah both of those were pretty bad decisions. I never used any of the streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) on it because of the lack of HD.

The controls didn't bother me for most games but I did hate how they tried to shoehorn them in to almost every game. Skyward Sword is the worst example. I really liked it as a Zelda game but it forced you to use motion controls. It's one of the most requested games to get an HD upgrade with normal controls for the Switch.

The controls didn't bother me for most games but I did hate how they tried to shoehorn them in to almost every game. Skyward Sword is the worst example. I really liked it as a Zelda game but it forced you to use motion controls. It's one of the most requested games to get an HD upgrade with normal controls for the Switch.

Yeah a Skyward Sword HD Remaster with traditional controls would awesome! Actually what I'd love to see Nintendo do (but I know they won't) is release a Zelda HD collection of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all in one package. I'd love to see them do the same thing for Metroid Prime. Do an HD trilogy and add traditional controls for part 3.

Okay I’m pulling the trigger on the switch in anticipation of the Pokémon game in November.

Give me your two favorite games I can buy now. Looking for something with a long story but also something for arcade play as well.

Okay I’m pulling the trigger on the switch in anticipation of the Pokémon game in November.

Give me your two favorite games I can buy now. Looking for something with a long story but also something for arcade play as well.

IMO there are 3 "Must Own" games on the Switch and a whole swath of good games. The must haves are...

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

You should absolutely start your Switch library with these 3 games, no question! Other good games to consider down the road would be...

Splatoon 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Fast RMX Racing
Arms
Skyrim
Kirby Star Allies

Upcoming games to look forward to...

Mario Tennis Aces
Super Smash Brothers
Captain Toads Treasure Tracker
Bayonetta 3
Pokémon Lets Go Pikachu & Evee
New Yoshi game (still not officially titled)

Last edited:
Became a pro member or whatever its called at gamestop last night. It seems like it will pay for itself. Anymore of these type things I should know about? I saw where BB is doing away with their gamer program.

Sorry to sound like such a newb but I haven't played video games in about 14 years and now my son is into them and it's rekindled my interest.

Greenman gaming normally has discounts on digital that you dont have to have a membership for. I remember I got GoW for like 10% off on preorder

Greenman gaming normally has discounts on digital that you dont have to have a membership for. I remember I got GoW for like 10% off on preorder

I don't know what that means. Greenman? Digital as in I download straight to the switch? Will that slow it down?

Odyssey is one of the best games I've ever played.

Reactions: 2 people

Zelda and Mario, obviously.

Dark Souls this summer 👌🏻

I don't know what that means. Greenman? Digital as in I download straight to the switch? Will that slow it down?

Greenman gaming Green Man Gaming | Buy Games, Game Keys & Digital Games Today

Digital is digital copy of your game that is saved to your HDD and you dont get a hard copy disc of the game.

And no, it wont slow it down, that storage is completely separate from RAM. You will probably need to get an expanded storage chip though at some point.

Has anybody played 2k or FIFA on the switch? I’m wondering if it’s worth trading in my Xbox.

I can’t imagine the online community being as plentiful, if that’s your thing.

GameSpot said this about FIFA;

“FIFA 18 on Switch delivers some enjoyable soccer when on the pitch, but without Pro Clubs and The Journey, and in restricting all access to FUT when you're not online, it shoots itself in the foot. Being able to play FIFA on the go or with a friend is gratifying, and if you're happy to just play through Career Mode for the next year, then this port will satisfy your needs and is the best mobile FIFA you can buy, but compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions, this port is inferior in every other way.”

Game Informer said this about NBA 2K (which scores higher than FIFA all around)

“The Switch version of NBA 2K18 is rough around the edges, but the strong collection of core modes that make the game a perennial contender from sports game of the year are all here. Despite the drop in graphical fidelity, connectivity headaches when in handheld mode, and barren online modes, you’ll have a hard time finding a better basketball sim experience.”

Has anybody played 2k or FIFA on the switch? I’m wondering if it’s worth trading in my Xbox.

They're pretty good, but inferior to the PS4/Xbox One versions. You do get the added bonus of playing them on the go, however.

I would advise against getting rid of your Xbox in favor of Switch. The Switch is an awesome "companion" console but you're going to want to hold on to your Xbox for 3rd party/multiconsole games. They will look and run better on Xbox, plus many of them won't make it to Switch at all.

They're pretty good, but inferior to the PS4/Xbox One versions. You do get the added bonus of playing them on the go, however.

I would advise against getting rid of your Xbox in favor of Switch. The Switch is an awesome "companion" console but you're going to want to hold on to your Xbox for 3rd party/multiconsole games. They will look and run better on Xbox, plus many of them won't make it to Switch at all.

I buy two games a year: FIFA and 2K. Sometimes I buy Madden and immediately regret it.

But it doesn’t seem like they’re quite as good on the Switch. I don’t really care about the mobile playing either. Just want Pokémon for TV. Also probably Zelda and Mario for nostalgias sake.

IMO there are 3 "Must Own" games on the Switch and a whole swath of good games. The must haves are...

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

You should absolutely start your Switch library with these 3 games, no question! Other good games to consider down the road would be...

Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Fast RMX Racing
Arms
Skyrim
Kirby Star Allies

Mario Tennis Aces
Super Smash Brothers
Bayonetta 3

Metroid 4

I only own four games right now, but my two favorites are Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (great RPG, long story, if you can stand some of the anime tropes).

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
Fast RMX Racing
Arms
Skyrim
Kirby Star Allies

Mario Tennis Aces
Super Smash Brothers
Bayonetta 3

I'd add Hyrule Warriors to the list, especially if you're a Zelda fan.

VN Store

Back