Net Neutality

That's what you came up with as a retort. Good Job.

You completely ignored my point about the feds running wild with NN and said local government can't be trusted. I refuted your point by saying the feds can't be trusted. I actually addressed your point, so you can **** off with your evaluation of my response.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
You completely ignored my point about the feds running wild with NN and said local government can't be trusted. I refuted your point by saying the feds can't be trusted. I actually addressed your point, so you can **** off with your evaluation of my response.

I brought the conversation down to the local level as you asked, but you couldn't keep it there.

I brought the conversation down to the local level as you asked, but you couldn't keep it there.

The reason local is better is competitive locations do not need the government and local government is more beholden to the people. Bad federal rules mean everybody suffers.

Which is exactly why we don't want to give them more regulatory power. Am I taking crazy pills? Why give power to the corrupt?

So, just to be clear. The FCC's decision to deregulate the telecom industry and the legislation that is being drafted by telecom industry lawyers to further prop up the telecom industry, which is apparently a result of the telecom insiders making up almost the entirety of the FCC's advisory council... This is the solution for corruption?

Reactions: 2 people
So, just to be clear. The FCC's decision to deregulate the telecom industry and the legislation that is being drafted by telecom industry lawyers to further prop up the telecom industry, which is apparently a result of the telecom insiders making up almost the entirety of the FCC's advisory council... This is the solution for corruption?

If I can choose between no regulation and corrupt regulation, I take no regulation every time. Why would you want corrupt regulation? Nearly every single monopoly with staying power maintained their power by controlling the rules the government created.

You have your choice....you can have telecom insiders who say "leave things alone and that works in our favor" like you probably assume is Ajit Pai's/Verizon's motivation, or you can have telecom insiders who say "let's write these rules we can force on the market to work in our favor" like AT&T would be doing if they had control of the FCC.

This is an easy choice for me and I can't begin to even see the reasoning behind the alternative. Why choose this when it can be handled on the local level? Why choose the alternative when half of Americans don't need NN because they live in places where ISP's compete. You're going to make them suffer corrupt rules? You're going to take away unlimited streaming from T-Mobile customers because people in Buck Snort aren't willing to move or hold their local government accountable? It makes no sense.

Axios: Trump admin mulling nationalization of 5G network | TheHill

Top national security officials within the Trump administration are reportedly weighing whether to build a nationalized mobile wireless network within the U.S., an effort aimed at protecting the country's wireless systems from China and other outside actors.

Senior officials learned about the administration's proposal to centralize the nation's 5G network recently, according to a memo and PowerPoint deck presentation obtained by Axios on Sunday.

According to Axios, the documents lays out two options that detail how the administration can go about developing such a network within three years, an unprecedented step in a historically private industry.

The first option says the U.S. government can fund and build the single network on its own, without the consultation of private companies.

The second plan would recruit the help of wireless providers to build their own 5G networks, which would compete with one another. The documents say one of the “pros” of this plan is “less commercial disruption” to the wireless industry than the first plan.

Reactions: 1 person
He should have just claimed it was to protect against the Russians. Would have gotten overwhelming bipartisan support

By your deflection, I assume you support whichever measure Trump chooses? What do you even stand for? I don't get your politics at all. What were your positions before you were told what to think by Trump?

Reactions: 2 people
That mother****er!

Fortunately, deregulation-minded Federal Communications Chair Ajit Pai recognizes how terrible this plan is. He put out a statement today:

I oppose any proposal for the federal government to build and operate a nationwide 5G network. The main lesson to draw from the wireless sector's development over the past three decades—including American leadership in 4G—is that the market, not government, is best positioned to drive innovation and investment. What government can and should do is to push spectrum into the commercial marketplace and set rules that encourage the private sector to develop and deploy next-generation infrastructure. Any federal effort to construct a nationalized 5G network would be a costly and counterproductive distraction from the policies we need to help the United States win the 5G future.

FCC Chair Throws Water on Crazy Plan for Feds to Seize Control of Our 5G Networks - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Reactions: midnight orange
Axios: Trump admin mulling nationalization of 5G network | TheHill

Top national security officials within the Trump administration are reportedly weighing whether to build a nationalized mobile wireless network within the U.S., an effort aimed at protecting the country's wireless systems from China and other outside actors.

Senior officials learned about the administration's proposal to centralize the nation's 5G network recently, according to a memo and PowerPoint deck presentation obtained by Axios on Sunday.

According to Axios, the documents lays out two options that detail how the administration can go about developing such a network within three years, an unprecedented step in a historically private industry.

The first option says the U.S. government can fund and build the single network on its own, without the consultation of private companies.

The second plan would recruit the help of wireless providers to build their own 5G networks, which would compete with one another. The documents say one of the “pros” of this plan is “less commercial disruption” to the wireless industry than the first plan.

dumb. not sure how it being run by the Fed would make it any safer.

VN Store

Back