NCAA Basketball Tournament Comments

Good2bavol

Since the thread titles are pretty specific, I thought I would add a post for various comments that you may have about the tourney.

And I will start. I have watched a lot of the games and what I am seeing is some very different officiating to what I saw in the SEC games this year. In example, I do not know in which rule book it is allowed for an offensive player with the ball to push a defender with his shoulder and it not be called. But I saw this for an entire 40 minutes and the SEC guys don't do it because all season they would be called.

So far there has been six teams lose to lower ranked opponents. The SEC owns four of those games. Are we that over rated?

So far there has been six teams lose to lower ranked opponents. The SEC owns four of those games. Are we that over rated?
I don't think they are over rated. It's just a lot of those teams didn't play a tough nonconference schedule and they showed up looking for lamb to slaughter for the first game. Instead they found wolves in sheep clothing. I'm glad we knocked heads with Kansas, Purdue, Etc. I think it helped prepare us for this.

I don't think they are over rated. It's just a lot of those teams didn't play a tough nonconference schedule and they showed up looking for lamb to slaughter for the first game. Instead they found wolves in sheep clothing. I'm glad we knocked heads with Kansas, Purdue, Etc. I think it helped prepare us for this.
It may be true that teams are expecting cupcakes. How in the world does AU lose to Yale?!?!?

I was listening to to Sports Talk J <https://www.youtube.com/@sportstalkj5110> on one of his YouTube shows and he was talking about how many free throws were shot is a couple of SEC games in comparison to other conferences. I am wondering if other conferences let them play b/c that is how the NCAA is called and the SEC refs call it tight making the SEC teams timid on fouls. Certainly watching Miss State this year that theory would not hold water, but maybe a consideration?

This has been a fun tournament so far.

I think those 7/10 matchups have had a deep field of teams that are close enough to each other to be super competitive. The SEC has had an awful showing so far outside of Tennessee, Alabama, and Texas A&M.

Worst call of the tournament so far? The one that saved Kansas against Samford, a close second is the flagrant two in the Auburn game yesterday.

Gonzaga is looking really good against KU. Good ball movement and taking the game to them. Plus KI has gone ice cold.

Reactions: just bob
Bill Self has lost whatever marbles he had left. If he really said he was “thinking about next season” during the slide he needs to re evaluate how much he loves coaching.

I still can't ant believe he said that. He said he was thinking about next season a few months ago. That's how I took it.

There is waaaaaaaaaay more parity in basketball than football. I mean who the hell is Creighton or Gonzaga? (other than perennial basketball powerhouses)
Basketball has only 5 playing at one time. Offense and defense. In football you need 22 players to fill the minimum slots. If you get 2 or 3 stars in basketball, you have a good team. In football you need 5 or 6 on both sides of the ball.

Bill Self has lost whatever marbles he had left. If he really said he was “thinking about next season” during the slide he needs to re evaluate how much he loves coaching.
Dude is one of the most untouchable figures in college athletics at the moment and can say/do whatever he wants. He was offered and signed a lifetime contract by Kansas when under NCAA investigation for multiple Level I violations. I'm not sure there's another active coach, except Izzo, who could have pulled that off.

All three Big East teams are in the sweet 16. I think Seton Hall and St. John’s should have gotten in over Virginia and Boise St.

VN Store

Back