The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Back azimuth, intersection, resection, Mag to Grid, Grid to Mag, terrain features, 4/6/8 digit grids, pace counts.

All still in the noggin.
Good on ya. I guess after doing it so long you won't forget (I don't think I will)

I've seen cheerleaders throw further than that thing.
Needs to be cranked then. My buddy did the fun patrol thing at UT BBall games, he would jack up the CO2 and easily put them in the upper deck. Sometimes he would forget to turn it down before shooting into the lower sections.

Back azimuth, intersection, resection, Mag to Grid, Grid to Mag, terrain features, 4/6/8 digit grids, pace counts.

All still in the noggin.

Child's play. Try True, Magnetic, Compass, conversion of one minute of longitude to yards at any latitude, degrees-minutes-tenths, degrees-minutes-seconds, knowing the 57 navigable stars (and how to find them), four planets, sun, moon, LAN, upper or lower limb, Latitude and Azimuth by Polaris, knowing that inverting a sextant makes it easier (bring the star down to the horizon, trust me), GMT, UTC, GHA, LHA, first point of Aries, and then trying to remember to check how much water you've got under your keel.

Groundpounders. If they didn't print directions on the MRE wrapper, you'd starve trying to get in.

:cool:

Child's play. Try True, Magnetic, Compass, conversion of one minute of longitude to yards at any latitude, degrees-minutes-tenths, degrees-minutes-seconds, knowing the 57 navigable stars (and how to find them), four planets, sun, moon, LAN, upper or lower limb, Latitude and Azimuth by Polaris, knowing that inverting a sextant makes it easier (bring the star down to the horizon, trust me), GMT, UTC, GHA, LHA, first point of Aries, and then trying to remember to check how much water you've got under your keel.

Groundpounders. If they didn't print directions on the MRE wrapper, you'd starve trying to get in.

:cool:

I'm former USAF. All the cab drivers know how to get back to our 5 Star hotels.

That was our drill rifles in jrotc..1903 Springfield. Still remember the nomenclature of my disabled "weapon" from 9th grade. Technically, i am an Airforce brat, but never lived on base or with my dad other than every summer for a couple months. He was stationed in denver, salt lake, san antonio, and then at the pentagon though..so i got to have some really cool summers. Tetons, yellowstone, pikes peak, the USAFA twice, etc. Miss my dad. Cancer took him in february this year. He was far braver in death than he ever had to be in life. Smartest man i have ever met, hands down. Retired a colonel with 2 masters and 2 bachelors.

Reactions: Obsessed
That was our drill rifles in jrotc..1903 Springfield. Still remember the nomenclature of my disabled "weapon" from 9th grade. Technically, i am an Airforce brat, but never lived on base or with my dad other than every summer for a couple months. He was stationed in denver, salt lake, san antonio, and then at the pentagon though..so i got to have some really cool summers. Tetons, yellowstone, pikes peak, the USAFA twice, etc. Miss my dad. Cancer took him in february this year. He was far braver in death than he ever had to be in life. Smartest man i have ever met, hands down. Retired a colonel with 2 masters and 2 bachelors.

Well-spoken. Men are a dying breed these days. That was probably an easy man to salute, and mean it.

If I end up being anywhere near the man my Dad was, I'll be okay.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

There's also a difference in the gas length. You will have to get an A5 system to run any kind of collapsible stock on that rifle length system. It's unusual to find an FN 18 BBL mid length gas system...intriguing.

Otherwise, the FN barrels are typically good to go, so no problems there. Not sure who the manufacturer is on the other, but seems to have decent specs.

Not sure the FN is worth $100 more depending on what you use it for.

There's also a difference in the gas length. You will have to get an A5 system to run any kind of collapsible stock on that rifle length system. It's unusual to find an FN 18 BBL mid length gas system...intriguing.

Otherwise, the FN barrels are typically good to go, so no problems there. Not sure who the manufacturer is on the other, but seems to have decent specs.

Not sure the FN is worth $100 more depending on what you use it for.

Thanks GV. I went with the cheaper option. The $100 extra plus having to get another bcg & ch and sights was too much of a difference. Is the main advantage of the a5 buffer system just being able to fully collapse the stock with the rifle length gas system?

Thanks GV. I went with the cheaper option. The $100 extra plus having to get another bcg & ch and sights was too much of a difference. Is the main advantage of the a5 buffer system just being able to fully collapse the stock with the rifle length gas system?

Close to fully collapse, yes. It sticks out maybe a half inch or so off the standard collapsing stock system. BCM and Vltor make about the best systems for that. Otherwise, you'll likely need the full stock and rifle buffer system.

I didn't even notice the sights, good catch. Yeah, you got a steal I think.

This is going to be more of a varmint/target/plinking rifle and i had considered a fixed stock, but it will get some truck/tractor duty and the few inches a collapsible stock gets you makes a difference. Yeah I've been wanting another for a while and keeping an eye out for what i think is a good deal.

GV, you got any experience with the Hornady 62gr TAP? Somehow I ended up with 500 rounds of it, and even though it may not be a true barrier-blind round, can I safely load it alongside the Federal 62gr JSP bonded round?

If not, I will move it to my "reserve bank", and buy enough Federal 62JSP to fill out my ready loads.

GV, you got any experience with the Hornady 62gr TAP? Somehow I ended up with 500 rounds of it, and even though it may not be a true barrier-blind round, can I safely load it alongside the Federal 62gr JSP bonded round?

If not, I will move it to my "reserve bank", and buy enough Federal 62JSP to fill out my ready loads.

Somehow ended up with? You're turning into a certified ammo whore.

You talking about the 60 grain polymer tipped stuff that comes in the black or red box? The TAP Urban stuff? Or the 62 grain TAP barrier?

Somehow ended up with? You're turning into a certified ammo whore.

You talking about the 60 grain polymer tipped stuff that comes in the black or red box? The TAP Urban stuff? Or the 62 grain TAP barrier?

62gr TAP barrier. It’s non-bonded, but looks almost the same as the Federal 62gr JSP.

I probably need to see how it patterns.

VN Store

Back