The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

DTH inspired me to take a few range pics. Took the .308 out to the 600 yard line tonight for some routine mid range work on fundamentals.
E46976F6-6A96-4C50-8210-35156501ECDC.jpeg1B241F70-A0D7-42EB-A10D-E2E229962D4E.jpeg

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
DTH, have you tried to pick up one of the Surplus 1911's yet
Can’t send your paperwork in till 9/4. If you send before that they shred it. I think they were up to 300+ tossed last time I checked. The only additional hoop is having an FFL to send it to.

Back from Range Day. Shot well, for me. Perfect score on the rifle qual, so have to say "thanks" to GV. Easiest rifle qual I've ever shot. Point and click. Mock combat course went the same way. 30 for 30.

Fun when the practice pays off.

Go Vols.

Reactions: buckfama
Looking to get some opinions at a couple rifles I'm looking at.

What's everyone's opinion on the Daniel Defense, Colt's, and I'm finding some good deals on Sig Sauer.

Honestly, I'm trying to stay away from "budget" AR's. I know there are good ones, but I also have buddies that have gotten lemons, jamming issues, parts breaking, etc.

I have taken a hard look at the S&W M&P sport 2 since you guys recommended it.

I am looking for accurate and above all dependable.

I do think if I went with a cheaper rifle that I would try and upgrade it with better after market parts.

And I like y'all's idea if getting a .300 blackout upper and using the same lower..

Thanks for y'all's help and opinions.

What's everyone's opinion on the Daniel Defense, Colt's, and I'm finding some good deals on Sig Sauer.

Honestly, I'm trying to stay away from "budget" AR's. I know there are good ones, but I also have buddies that have gotten lemons, jamming issues, parts breaking, etc.

I do think if I went with a cheaper rifle that I would try and upgrade it with better after market parts.

And I like y'all's idea if getting a .300 blackout upper and using the same lower..

Add these to your list if accuracy is your goal.
1 Larue
2 JP Rifles
3 Patriot Ordinance Factory

None are cheap but capable of sub MOA performance. If I could only choose one, it would be JP Rifles.

Back from Range Day. Shot well, for me. Perfect score on the rifle qual, so have to say "thanks" to GV. Easiest rifle qual I've ever shot. Point and click. Mock combat course went the same way. 30 for 30.

Fun when the practice pays off.

Go Vols.

Good shooting.

Add these to your list if accuracy is your goal.
1 Larue
2 JP Rifles
3 Patriot Ordinance Factory

None are cheap but capable of sub MOA performance. If I could only choose one, it would be JP Rifles.

Any reliability issues with the JP's?

Any reliability issues with the JP's?

This picture will give you an idea of the fit and finish JP provides. The picture below is a threaded JP barrel with muzzle brake attached. Try and locate where the brake begins and the barrel ends.jp rifle.jpg.

Daniel Defense is top of the line. My biggest dislike is the furniture. Easy fix though. The M4V3 is spot on.

Colt is a Colt. Industry standard. Specifically the 6920 model since it doesn't come with that goofy 1/9 barrel.

Sig Sauer is good to go.

I'd also take a look at the Springfield Saint, anything from Bravo Company, the S&W M&P line, FN FN15 Tactical and LMT.

Going for the gold? Larue, Noveske, Rainier Arms, BCM Jack Carbine, H&K, Knights Armament SR-15

You would be okay with:

Stag premium, Rock River, Spikes, Armalite, Palmetto State Premium (with FN barrel), Aero Precision complete rifles

Stay away from:

Bushmaster, DPMS, Windham, Del-Ton (mainly a parts company, but complete rifles from time to time).

And if someone wants to give you an Olympic Arms for free, punch them in the face.

Member Molon pic and quote; "The barrel on the Colt 6721 is the most accurate "off the shelf" chrome-lined, NATO chambered AR-15 barrel that I've tested."

FYI, whoever Molon is, he is known (and very highly respected) on every reputable "AR site" out there. I have read his posts in over half a dozen places. He is mainly known for very thorough testing of various AR platforms, barrels, and 5.56 loads.

In short, he knows his stuff.

I'm not planting my flag on "1/9 Mountain", but it is what it is. I wanted a heavy-barreled AR for my own reasons. The 6721 fits the bill. It comes with a 1/9 barrel. And both of my 1/9 barrels are sub-MOA accurate (from a bench) with the IMI 69 grain SMK loads. I'm not going to waste the money or time seeing if it will handle the 77 grain SMK's; there's no need. I don't hunt (anymore); compete; or sit naked in my closet with my AR's (anymore). I have them for one purpose and one purpose only: Win the fight. To that end, I have the 55 TAP for in-house; the 62 SBCT (TBBC) for anything out to 100 yards; and the 69 SMK's for anything further out. And I have a couple...three...maybe four, I dunno...thousand rounds of good old 55 FMJ for the Zombies.

Yes, I could have spent a ton more and gotten a more accurate rifle(s). But for what I spent, including the add-ons that GV so wisely guided me through, I'll stack my (hang on, doing the math)...$1600 rifle up against anything in it's price range. Besides, you'd shoot it better than I do anyway.

Then again, I'm an old school .45 ACP guy. Preferably a 1911 frame, although I did swallow my pride and buy a Glock. Nothing against the 9mm. Modern ballistics have closed the gap. But a 230 FMJ center mass will still put a grown man on his butt, and the 230 HST will make sure he never gets back up. So I carry a .45, until and unless they come out with the .46

Y'all be careful out there.

Last edited:
Ordered a Radian Raptor charging handle for my HD AR. One thing I noticed on range day was that cycling the bolt manually (we do all kinds of jam / malfunction drills during the combat course) was that it was difficult under stress to find the handle and cycle it without taking my eyes off target. Did my research, and settled on this one. Hope it solves that issue.

8 days and counting until Vol Football is back. Hopefully in a big way.

Go Vols.

The Raptor should serve you well. If not, I'm a big fan of the BCM Gunfighter series

Yep, it came down to the BCM and the Radian. Flipped a coin; came up Radian. The fact that you like it tells me I chose well.

Now, should I put one of those on my long-range AR, or is that just overkill?

PSA...... The drop in ammo prices has made it hard on many sellers. Many neckbeards like cheaperthandirt stuck it to us through tough times. Many did not. Sgammo.com was fair with us during the worst of times. Now that we are in the salad days, if you need ammo, please support those that supported us.

I am not affiliated with sgammo.com in any way shape or form. I simply have bought plenty of ammo from them through the Obama years at a fair price with fast shipping and great customer service.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Yep, it came down to the BCM and the Radian. Flipped a coin; came up Radian. The fact that you like it tells me I chose well.

Now, should I put one of those on my long-range AR, or is that just overkill?

Buy the BCM for your backup. Figure which one you like better.

PSA...... The drop in ammo prices has made it hard on many sellers. Many neckbeards like cheaperthandirt stuck it to us through tough times. Many did not. Sgammo.com was fair with us during the worst of times. Now that we are in the salad days, if you need ammo, please support those that supported us.

I am not affiliated with sgammo.com in any way shape or form. I simply have bought plenty of ammo from them through the Obama years at a fair price with fast shipping and great customer service.

GV introduced me to SGAmmo. They are not always the cheapest (usually when you account for free shipping via another vendor), but they are competitive, and I have ordered from them numerous times.

And after reading your post...if SGAmmo has what I'm looking for, then that's where I'll buy it. I can eat the shipping cost to say "thanks" to a solid source for good ammo.

FWIW, I tend to line up with the reputable posters here, yourself included.

7 days. Go Vols.

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back