The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Also trying to decide between 5.56 and .300 blackout. The only reason I'm considering the .300 balckout is if the shtf, the weapon will pull double duty as a hunting rig also.

Also, the wonderful thing about the AR is the fact it's easy to swap an upper and move between calibers. If you really, really, really wanted a deer capable rifle, you can get another upper in the desired caliber and be happy in your work. 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC or .300 Blk are all reasonably available for stocking up and getting a few mags here and there. Far cheaper than trying to shoehorn yourself into one caliber that's expensive to pile up. And work far better than a .223 caliber for deep sized critters.

Reactions: buckfama
GV (or anyone), what is your opinion on the best barrel accessory to put on a 10.5" AR? The one I bought comes with a fairly basic flash can but I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading. I have seen both the Noveske Flaming Pig and Troy Claymore tossed out a lot but this being my first AR pistol, I would like more direct input. TIA.

GV (or anyone), what is your opinion on the best barrel accessory to put on a 10.5" AR? The one I bought comes with a fairly basic flash can but I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading. I have seen both the Noveske Flaming Pig and Troy Claymore tossed out a lot but this being my first AR pistol, I would like more direct input. TIA.

I would think InVol would have the better answer since he's all about the SBRs, however, both you named are good from what I understand. I've also seen nice things about the PWS CQB Comp. Also, check out the Smith Enterprises Vortex series. They kind of took a "what's old is new again" look at the three prong devices.

Guys, don't flog me for asking this question because I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times already in this thread. I just don't want to go back through roughly 6700 posts. Lol

What would you recommend for an entry level, AR type rifle? Something dependable that won't break the bank.

Also trying to decide between 5.56 and .300 blackout. The only reason I'm considering the .300 balckout is if the shtf, the weapon will pull double duty as a hunting rig also.

For SHTF save the money and just buy premium loads designed for game hunting. Modern bullets are a difference maker. (I'm personally a fan of Barnes offerings for that purpose)

The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer

And mind you that article was written back in '11...things are even better now. Otherwise save up and get an upper in your choice down the road. (300, 6.5, 6.8, etc)

Guys, don't flog me for asking this question because I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times already in this thread. I just don't want to go back through roughly 6700 posts. Lol

What would you recommend for an entry level, AR type rifle? Something dependable that won't break the bank.

Go to Primaryarms.com. They have a bunch to choose from and they’re dir cheap righ now. You can get this for $399;
Radical Firearms 16" 5.56 NATO 1:7 Carbine Length M4 Rifle - 15" M-LOK FCR Gen3 Rail FR16-5.56M4-15FCR3

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I would spend up to $1000 on a rifle as on as I knew I could depend on it. No jams or issues is that I'm shooting for. I know that keeping it clean like the M4 we used to carry is key to these weapons functioning properly.

I would spend up to $1000 on a rifle as on as I knew I could depend on it. No jams or issues is that I'm shooting for. I know that keeping it clean like the M4 we used to carry is key to these weapons functioning properly.

Oil is the key to keeping it functioning, not cleanliness.

If you've got a 1K to kill you can go to PSA and get this

PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - EPT Magpul CTR Edition - Black, No Magazine - 5165447862

and go to Bravo Co and get something off this list

AR-15, M16 16" Mid Length Upper Group

and still be under your limit. (unless you were including optics, which is a whole 'nuther can 'o worms)

What about a spikes tactical? I have seen a few on Armslist and can get complete setups, including optics, for between $1,000 to $1500.

The reviews I have read seem good on them.

As far as optics, not crazy about red dots or trijicons, want some sort of long eye relief scope with as wide of a field of view as possible.

And @Grand Vol . What kind of lube do you recommend besides the old CLP I'm familiar with?

Last edited:
What about a spikes tactical? I have seen a few on Armslist and can get complete setups, including optics, for between $1,000 to $1500.

The reviews I have read seem good on them.

As far as optics, not crazy about red dots or trijicons, want some sort of long eye relief scope with as wide of a field of vire as possible.

And @Grand Vol . What kind of lube do you recommend besides the old CLP I'm familiar with?

Spikes is okay, though there are just as good for cheaper.

As for lube, ain't a thing wrong with standard synthetic motor oil. I bought a quart of Casterol 5W-40 some years ago and I'm still nursing the bottle. Mobil 1 works fine. Don't get caught up in the Frogskin-Firebrand-Uber-Awesomeness latest and greatest. Motor oil is cheaper and works just as well.

Are you handy enough to assemble your own?

@InVOLuntary I was told you are the SBR guy. What muzzle device should I put on my new 10.5" AR iyo?
I'm a traditionalist. I think with muzzle devices on a sbr/pistol simple is better. I like the bird cages myself. I'm like you, don't care for the flash can. Although the flash cans do direct the blast away probably better than anything. I've got three short setups, 556 @ 7.5,. 556 @ 10.5, and 300BO at 7.5. I've not had any issues with the birdcage.

Reactions: BigOrange15
Do you have the specific tools to do so?

My suggestion is to buy a complete one as your first. Learn to tinker on that one. Then go balls out and build one. Or in the case of InVol, two dozen
I think if I were him, I might put together a lower and purchase a completed upper.

I think if I were him, I might put together a lower and purchase a completed upper.

Or just buy the rifle, figure out what he likes and doesn't like, buy tools (way above and beyond the $1,000 price when you factor everything in with optics, mags, ammo, etc) and THEN build.

Or just buy the rifle, figure out what he likes and doesn't like, buy tools (way above and beyond the $1,000 price when you factor everything in with optics, mags, ammo, etc) and THEN build.
I did own a RR to start with. Bought a completed upper. Then a empty lower.

One thing that was useful for me was the YouTube videos showing assembly. Seems like YouTube has banned them.

If he's in Knoxville or close by I might be persuaded to sell him one of my 23. 😊

I did own a RR to start with. Bought a completed upper. Then a empty lower.

One thing that was useful for me was the YouTube videos showing assembly. Seems like YouTube has banned them.

If he's in Knoxville or close by I might be persuaded to sell him one of my 23. 😊

Yep, I 'member.

VN Store

Back