The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

The beretta is smooth as silk and runs like a Ferrari. Probably the best 92 I’ve ever shot. Extremely accurate for the informal shooting I did in the back yard.

The CZ is interesting. It wasn’t a good day to shoot it following the beretta. Comparing the heavy 12+lb double action to the beretta’s 6lbs isn’t fair at all. All will be well once it’s been cajunized.

Overall I’m very happy. Yeah, $1250 plus $140 for an action job is a lot of money for a beretta....but..... the work done by Wilson has to be the pinnacle of the 92 platform. I’ve talked about the double action, it’s not even like a double action, just a smooth pull. Then you have the single action that breaks like the proverbial glass rod at 3.5lbs. If you’re in the market for a 92, even if you aren’t, check one out at your gun shop. It’s worth it.

Okay...flip-flop #481.

GV, you were right. I knew it; forgot it; and had to relearn it. Sticking with the 55 FMJ for the bulk of my SHTF stockpile, and then shooting up (roughly 1200 rounds) the 62 FMJ's until they're gone. So I'll end up with around 3K of the 55 FMJ; 500 of the Federal 62 TBBC; and 500 of the IMI 62 SMK's. That's in the "Doomsday Closet". Same loads, smaller quantities in the "Ready Locker".

The good news is that this will have a very minimal impact on my wallet. I'm pretty much already there. Need a few more 55 FMJ's, and a couple hundred of the IMI 62's, and I'm dialed in. I'll use the existing stock of 855's to punch holes until they're gone.

'preciate the patience while we all waited for the light to go on.....

Go Vols.

The beretta is smooth as silk and runs like a Ferrari. Probably the best 92 I’ve ever shot. Extremely accurate for the informal shooting I did in the back yard.

The CZ is interesting. It wasn’t a good day to shoot it following the beretta. Comparing the heavy 12+lb double action to the beretta’s 6lbs isn’t fair at all. All will be well once it’s been cajunized.

Overall I’m very happy. Yeah, $1250 plus $140 for an action job is a lot of money for a beretta....but..... the work done by Wilson has to be the pinnacle of the 92 platform. I’ve talked about the double action, it’s not even like a double action, just a smooth pull. Then you have the single action that breaks like the proverbial glass rod at 3.5lbs. If you’re in the market for a 92, even if you aren’t, check one out at your gun shop. It’s worth it.

I get a kick out of reading your posts, and looking at your toys. Wish I had your checkbook.

I'm a dinosaur. Grew up on, and still favor the .45ACP. Extra points if it's a 1911 style, although I do own a Glock 30S, and it's my default CC gun. But I have both a full-size and compact 1911 (SA and RIA) close at hand.

And I'm a Colt fan. It took awhile (and a chunk of money), but once GV got his talons in me, the upgrades to my Colts resulted in a very accurate, very well-set up patrol rifle, and a nice longer range rifle. And as you can see for yourself, now I'm down to "which 5.56 round is most accurate, barrier blind, won't penetrate sheet rock in the house, never misses, is sub-MOA out to 300 yards, and is nuclear-tipped". Sometimes, I'm fun to watch....or so I've been told.

Keep posting pics of those beautiful guns that just seem to land in your lap. I might not be a Beretta fan, but I've become something of a DTH fan.

Go Vols.

I get a kick out of reading your posts, and looking at your toys. Wish I had your checkbook.

I'm a dinosaur. Grew up on, and still favor the .45ACP. Extra points if it's a 1911 style, although I do own a Glock 30S, and it's my default CC gun. But I have both a full-size and compact 1911 (SA and RIA) close at hand.

And I'm a Colt fan. It took awhile (and a chunk of money), but once GV got his talons in me, the upgrades to my Colts resulted in a very accurate, very well-set up patrol rifle, and a nice longer range rifle. And as you can see for yourself, now I'm down to "which 5.56 round is most accurate, barrier blind, won't penetrate sheet rock in the house, never misses, is sub-MOA out to 300 yards, and is nuclear-tipped". Sometimes, I'm fun to watch....or so I've been told.

Keep posting pics of those beautiful guns that just seem to land in your lap. I might not be a Beretta fan, but I've become something of a DTH fan.

Go Vols.
Thank you. I have a very understanding lady at home that is well aware of my “sickness” when it comes to guns.

I’m currently doing research on the FN SCAR 17s to replace my M1A for my .308 battlerifle option. It is indeed a sickness. Lol

Oh laws, someone hacked his account.
It’s been an ongoing thing for the last year or so. I understand the shortcomings of the M1A/M14 platform; weight, optics mounting, lack of pistol grip to an extent. I’m getting older and I need something better. Perhaps it’s the SCAR. I’m finding that it has a lot of issues considering it’s $3000+ price tag for the base rifle. We shall see...

It’s been an ongoing thing for the last year or so. I understand the shortcomings of the M1A/M14 platform; weight, optics mounting, lack of pistol grip to an extent. I’m getting older and I need something better. Perhaps it’s the SCAR. I’m finding that it has a lot of issues considering it’s $3000+ price tag for the base rifle. We shall see...

I think one of the bigger turnoffs is the proprietary mags. And the cost of same of course.

At the $3K price (I didn't realize it went up that much) I'd almost say spend a little more coin and go for a Knights.

I think one of the bigger turnoffs is the proprietary mags. And the cost of same of course.

At the $3K price (I didn't realize it went up that much) I'd almost say spend a little more coin and go for a Knights.
Yup. You figure you’re into it at 3k for the base rifle, you can buy an aftermarket lower for $500 that allows you to use magpul mags as well as the SR25 mags. Then you can change the awful stock, depending on options, for around $300 or so. You’re into this rifle $3800 and haven’t fired a shot. Then there is the awful stock trigger. The geissele replacement trigger is a breathtaking $325 for a simple two stage trigger. Literally everything on this rifle is overpriced. It’s crazy....

Yup. You figure you’re into it at 3k for the base rifle, you can buy an aftermarket lower for $500 that allows you to use magpul mags as well as the SR25 mags. Then you can change the awful stock, depending on options, for around $300 or so. You’re into this rifle $3800 and haven’t fired a shot. Then there is the awful stock trigger. The geissele replacement trigger is a breathtaking $325 for a simple two stage trigger. Literally everything on this rifle is overpriced. It’s crazy....

Yeah, the SCAR is nice for weight and handling, but it is an expensive toy.

Just curious why you aren't looking at an -10 pattern rifle?

I will say this, you might not like the Larue grip. I tried one and after about two mags, dropped it like a hot rock. Just didn't fit my hand at all. YMMV and whatnot, but I just wasn't impressed.

Good thing is, it's a simple operation to remove it.
Yeah, the stock looks a bit funky too. As you say, easy fixes.

Yeah, the stock looks a bit funky too. As you say, easy fixes.

Funny minor story about that. I asked a Knight's Armament rep about their grip a few years ago and why with a high dollar rifle they'd choose to put that crappy A2 grip on it. His response was "we tend to think of an A2 grip as more as a placeholder for 'insert grip of choice here' since most people have different tastes and remove it anyway. It's a cheap substitution for a problem most are going fix after buying the rifle."

Made perfect sense to me.

Funny minor story about that. I asked a Knight's Armament rep about their grip a few years ago and why with a high dollar rifle they'd choose to put that crappy A2 grip on it. His response was "we tend to think of an A2 grip as more as a placeholder for 'insert grip of choice here' since most people have different tastes and remove it anyway. It's a cheap substitution for a problem most are going fix after buying the rifle."

Made perfect sense to me.
Yeah, I agree. A lot of folks balk at the idea of spending that kind of cash on a rifle and then start changing stuff. You have to make the rifle fit you.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of folks balk at the idea of spending that kind of cash on a rifle and then start changing stuff. You have to make the rifle fit you.

If you don’t have to have a gas gun, there are some bolt guns available today that are incredible values. You can have this built by Patriot Valley Arms for $2000.

Attachments

• 64BFD8F6-1520-42EC-AB2D-0A1C1990A29C.jpeg
    64BFD8F6-1520-42EC-AB2D-0A1C1990A29C.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
If you don’t have to have a gas gun, there are some bolt guns available today that are incredible values. You can have this built by Patriot Valley Arms for $2000.

According to my wife...depending on whether it's been Mexican, BBQ, or fried seafood, I AM a gas gun.....

:cool:

Reactions: txbo
Guys, don't flog me for asking this question because I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times already in this thread. I just don't want to go back through roughly 6700 posts. Lol

What would you recommend for an entry level, AR type rifle? Something dependable that won't break the bank.

Also trying to decide between 5.56 and .300 blackout. The only reason I'm considering the .300 balckout is if the shtf, the weapon will pull double duty as a hunting rig also.

Guys, don't flog me for asking this question because I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times already in this thread. I just don't want to go back through roughly 6700 posts. Lol

What would you recommend for an entry level, AR type rifle? Something dependable that won't break the bank.

Also trying to decide between 5.56 and .300 blackout. The only reason I'm considering the .300 balckout is if the shtf, the weapon will pull double duty as a hunting rig also.
Imo, the Ruger 556 and S&W M&P15 S2 are both good entry level ARs for your money. Both can be had for under $600 with the M&P routinely being under $500.

Reactions: Grand Vol

Gonna punch you in the face for asking that...

Okay, not really. As mentioned, the S&W is a good deal. You can piece together an upper and lower from Palmetto State that'll work. However, this is all dependent on your definition of "breaking the bank." Also, it isn't just the rifle, but considering optics, mags, inevitable replacement parts (stock, grip, etc), light, sling and ammo to feed the beast.

Now, I wouldn't suggest a .300 for SHTF work personally since, unless you reload, ammo for that can/will become scarce. Plus, it's a larger investment up front for a EOTW stash of ammo. Unless you're going full on moose hunting, I'd suggest a heavier grain 5.56/.223 round and a tighter twist on the barrel (1/7) for such things. Should work fine.

Here's a good AR everything thread to peruse.

AR-15 Builders

VN Store

Back