Moving Conferences doesn't equal success

considering the moves are about money, it only hurts if you choose a bad conference.

You have to watch the video. The OP was talking about success on field. Programs like Arkansas, Miami, Nebraska, and West Virginia have seen significantly decline in on-the-field football performance.

I am not sure realignment is the only cause but I found the video interesting.

You have to watch the video. The OP was talking about success on field. Programs like Arkansas, Miami, Nebraska, and West Virginia have seen significantly decline in on-the-field football performance.

The one that shocked me was when VA Tech, Miami and others moved to the ACC. I thought that would help the quality of football in that conference but it really didn’t.

Reactions: volbound1700
The one that shocked me was when VA Tech, Miami and others moved to the ACC. I thought that would help the quality of football in that conference but it really didn’t.
I recall seeing a story that over the short term it did -- in the early 2000's, the ACC was making almost as much money as the Big 10 (that was before Maryland switched).
Va Tech and Miami were good back then.

Reactions: volbound1700

I was just pointing out its irrelevant to the decision making. those who moved them around generally don't care about on field success.

who was the last school who moved with the primary motivation of: this will make us better? all that better actually is is more money. more money more better.

Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, Mizzou were all fleeing the Big 12 to get away from Texas hogging the secondary channel and the money coming from that.

none of the last moves were about getting better. we are going to pay Texas and Oklahoma more money, and they are moving into a tougher conference, which will means more loss and less relative success. Stanford and Cal were fleeing a sinking ship, Arizona, Arizona St. Colorado, and Utah got out while the getting was good. Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA aren't going to be playing better ball just because they are in the Big 10.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I recall seeing a story that over the short term it did -- in the early 2000's, the ACC was making almost as much money as the Big 10 (that was before Maryland switched).
Va Tech and Miami were good back then.

I remember articles saying the ACC would be the "New" SEC and be the strongest league. At the time, FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech were playing for National Titles while NC State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Clemson were hovering in the top 25 most seasons.

ACC has been a major disappointment and a lot of that has to do with Miami.

The last bit about geography and how it affects the game is spot on. The SEC is the only conference that has teams in relatively the same region. Texas,A&M,Oklahoma,Arkansas,and Missouri will be playing each other in the same conference again. The Big 10 makes no sense regionally outside of it being financial which is the bottom line.

The ACC almost seems desperate and makes absolutely no sense. Their future doesn't look bright.

Yes, for some or all of them, and let's include Maryland, which switched to the Big 10, they're probably in better financial shape but their on-field performances in many sports have not improved or gotten worse. Maryland had seriously financial problems before jumping to the Big Ten. Now, I have to think they're earning a lot more money given the Big 10's lucrative TV deals--but they suck in most sports. Schools that have jumped to the SEC have benefited financially but perhaps not on the fields of play. A tradeoff as there's going to be a lot more competition in the big conferences.

I was just pointing out its irrelevant to the decision making. those who moved them around generally don't care about on field success.

who was the last school who moved with the primary motivation of: this will make us better? all that better actually is is more money. more money more better.

Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, Mizzou were all fleeing the Big 12 to get away from Texas hogging the secondary channel and the money coming from that.

none of the last moves were about getting better. we are going to pay Texas and Oklahoma more money, and they are moving into a tougher conference, which will means more loss and less relative success. Stanford and Cal were fleeing a sinking ship, Arizona, Arizona St. Colorado, and Utah got out while the getting was good. Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA aren't going to be playing better ball just because they are in the Big 10.

Sure, sure…..

Texas A&M just hired Trev Alberts as their new AD.

VN Store

Back