Most improved players to date.

Taylor is regarded as one of the best corners in the country already as a freshman. Why only a C+
Press coverage is lacking for all those playing CB or coverage by our any of our DB's for that matter. Going forward the DB's that get to play in Pruitts defense must be able to man press cover....Run support and tackling certainly needs a lot of improvement. Some are improving and some of our DB's haven't been shown up so badly because the opposing QB missed wide open receivers...certainly missed assignments...still way to much space between receivers and DB's....

Did you notice Pruitt talking about players tippy toeing up to the blocker when they rushed the passer ? Well what I believe he was talking about was when we had a blitz on I think it may have been Buchanan that blitzed and a run picked him up and Buchanan just slowed down and kind of tip toed up to him...I saw it and think that is what Pruitt was referring to...I could be wrong but that was what I saw...

to grade the players on ( what you see is what it is ) rather than emotion is what we need to do.

No doubts that JG has improved since last season BUT he absolutely MUST improve on 1 thing or he'll never take the next step.

JG simply can NOT read the D at the line and make pre-snap adjustments for the right protections.

That's 1 of the main reasons he takes such a beating in every game.

If our coaches can get JG to learn to read the D correctly and make the right protection calls pre-snap then next season he'll really take a huge step up in his game as a really good SEC QB.

I'm also really happy to see Phillips getting so much better.

1 guy that's made serious progress since Pruitt and staff got here is Paul Bain and I've seen him 3 to 5 times get within inches of making a sack and I sure wish he's gotten there just a second faster but he put some serious pressure on those QB's.

It's almost a miracle what Pruitt and staff have accomplished so far this year.

Considering that the first day Pruitt walked in he met with a bunch of guys that had just made history as the worst team Tennessee had ever fielded and they were beaten down as badly as any team we ever had.

Their mental attitudes were that they were just horrid as a player and they had zero confidence in themselves or as a team.

You can build muscle with a good S&C program but rebuilding a mental attitude is much harder, takes lots more time and solid, consistent messages by all coaches to get them to BELIEVE in themselves personally and as a Team.

In addition to having to get the players to believe in themselves they had to get the kids to believe in them as coaches and mentors that knew how to help them play footVol the right ways.

Then they had to get them to buy in and really believe in the new O and D schemes and playbooks.

That my friends is a HUGE task because it's so hard to get a person to believe in themselves and regain their confidence after they're so badly beaten down and feel hopeless.

I see improvements all over the field now and I see them becoming more confident and starting to really BELIEVE again.

Getting the WIN against allbarn was a huge step only to get stomped and having the worse loss in Tennessee history the very next week.

The worst of the gauntlet is over but it's VERY hard to rebuild their confidence and belief back so fast to be ready to fight and WIN against USCe and the rest of this season, another HUGE task for Pruitt and staff.

This next game is critical for our kids confidence and belief in themselves for the rest of this season.

I believe that if our kids get back up and WIN against USCe that we can carry that over the rest of this season and we'll have a legit chance to get 6 WINS and make a bowl game.

Those extra 15 practices will sure come in handy right when we really need to improve and take the 1st step towards getting ready for a solid offseason to hit it hard next season..

To our beloved footVol Team...get up and get going boys...all us fans still BELIEVE in you!!!

VFL...GBO!!

Still beyond me A. Johnson is not getting the credit he is due. He's going to be a good NFL draft prospect. He played well against the big boys so far. Ga. , Aub. , and now Alabama...Great games young man..I am sure the Pro Scouts have their eyes on you...continue to improve, good technique, good strength and first move and a joy to watch every game !!!!!

Press coverage is lacking for all those playing CB or coverage by our any of our DB's for that matter. Going forward the DB's that get to play in Pruitts defense must be able to man press cover....Run support and tackling certainly needs a lot of improvement. Some are improving and some of our DB's haven't been shown up so badly because the opposing QB missed wide open receivers...certainly missed assignments...still way to much space between receivers and DB's....

Did you notice Pruitt talking about players tippy toeing up to the blocker when they rushed the passer ? Well what I believe he was talking about was when we had a blitz on I think it may have been Buchanan that blitzed and a run picked him up and Buchanan just slowed down and kind of tip toed up to him...I saw it and think that is what Pruitt was referring to...I could be wrong but that was what I saw...

to grade the players on ( what you see is what it is ) rather than emotion is what we need to do.

Alontae Taylor has graded out officially as one of the top corners in the nation as something like .41 yards per play given up all season as of last week. To say he's a C+ is crazy, that kid is playing out of his mind, especially considering he was a receiver coming in. He and Bryce Thompson are going to be a good couple corners for us over the next few years. And that's no emotion attached, that's watching and seeing the difference they've made.

Point of light from the Bama game: "Jauan Jennings delivered an admirable performance with 102 yards on six catches to become the first 100-yard receiver Alabama has allowed this season..."

Link for source of quote: Vols report card: Alabama
Don't know that I can say how much JJ has improved because I know him to be a very good player whenever he gets his hands on the ball...failure to target him and find ways to get him open was the problem...same for Ty Chandler. But you are right to point this out JJ is hard to handle whenever he gets his hands on the ball.

I think Helton should watch the NO Saints and copy their plays to get Ty Chandler more touches in space...I don't know that Helton isn't but if he is not he should...its wasted potential if they don't and a failure in coaching imo....

Agree, but I thought this thread would receive well that little nugget - first 100-yeard receiver against the Tide.
I was hoping Freak would sticky it at the head of the forum through the rest of the season. I thought it would be great for the forums but as of now :mad:

I think Pruitt saying they had a lot of bust on the defensive side of the ball kind of proves my grading in the DB's...for the most part the opposing teams receivers are mostly open and tackling is still a problem....they are inconsistent for sure

Gooden keeps showing up to me - they don't fall forward when he hits them
Thompson and Taylor - stars in the making
Phillips - having the year I always thought he could have
Palmer - making big plays and catches he did not do last year
Warrior - starting to see some potential

Just to add a couple names that haven't been mentioned... how about Paul Bain and Drew Richmond? Ty Chandler also looks better. Ryan Johnson. Buchanan looks much better. So does Osborne.

Reactions: OneVolNation
You gotta be kidding me. Kid has a bright future, but looks lost out there. Had in INT against Auburn, but looks lost and has given up big play after big play.
Maybe I haven't been watching him that closely but from what I've seen he has great closing speed, hit like a damn truck, and can locate the ball and make plays on it. It's either him or Alontae that's the best on the team, but Bryce plays like an SEC Db should.

Maybe I haven't been watching him that closely but from what I've seen he has great closing speed, hit like a damn truck, and can locate the ball and make plays on it. It's either him or Alontae that's the best on the team, but Bryce plays like an SEC Db should.
+1

Even the best corners lose some battles. Overall, Thomson has been good IMO.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Based on where they started from end of last season or early in this season (i.e. from West Virginia game onwards)

Offense

1. Josh Palmer
2. JG
3. Jennings (for getting back to his former self after the injury)
4. Tim Jordan
5. Ryan Johnson

Defense

1. Baylen Buchanan
2. Alontae Taylor
3. Will Ignont
4. Bryce Thompson
5. Kyle Phillips

VN Store

Back