Moral Victories Against Bama?

I just want the boys to play hard which I know they will, we're out manned big time in this game but you never know what will happen. After the Auburn game as great as it was I think some people here are hanging some unrealistic expectations on the team against Bama and hope they don't go back to full blown negative after the game. Bama is a whole different kind of machine then we've been up against but in the end they're human as well and with some turnovers and lucky breaks it's possible to pull the upset. However if it goes chalk and they beat us pretty good it's not that we're awful we'll just be in the same boat as everyone else that's played them so far. I believe the Vols can do it if they play with discipline and play hard for 4 quarters... Go Vols!!!

Lol at all the Billy bad asses "Fock this moral victory chit, if you ain't first yore last". He could have phrased it differently and not much would have been said.... Nice Job DD.

I hope they're prepared, motivated and fight, scratch and claw for 60 minutes.

I pray for no injuries.

I think its vital that no matter what happens, Pruitt gets them back on track mentally immediately following the game. That game is in the books. SC is next.

Reactions: jakez4ut and DD4ME
not sure about the moral victory deal, apparently that's a triggering phrase.

i'll just say this, we need to get out of this game healthy so we have enough in the tank for November. we took some lumps Saturday.

don't need any more this saturday.

Reactions: Behr and DD4ME
Lol at all the Billy bad asses "Fock this moral victory chit, if you ain't first yore last". He could have phrased it differently and not much would have been said.... Nice Job DD.

I hope they're prepared, motivated and fight, scratch and claw for 60 minutes.

I pray for no injuries.

I think its vital that no matter what happens, Pruitt gets them back on track mentally immediately following the game. That game is in the books. SC is next.
Thanks Behr. Agree. We need a clean game we quickly move on from.

Reactions: Weezer
not sure about the moral victory deal, apparently that's a triggering phrase.

i'll just say this, we need to get out of this game healthy so we have enough in the tank for November. we took some lumps Saturday.

don't need any more this saturday.
Apparently you are only allowed to be happy if we upset the number one team in the nation. Everything else is settling for some mamby pamby bs that has no place amongst our decade of dominance.

To be clear I would never have started a thread like this for any of our other games. I would call the UGA game a morale victory that setup our team for AU win. Hell Pruitt getting emotional in the post game says I wouldn't be alone.

Apparently you are only allowed to be happy if we upset the number one team in the nation. Everything else is settling for some mamby pamby bs that has no place amongst our decade of dominance.

To be clear I would never have started a thread like this for any of our other games. I would call the UGA game a morale victory that setup our team for AU win. Hell Pruitt getting emotional in the post game says I wouldn't be alone.
either way, being against "moral victory" is a cheap way to show how you don't accept mediocre results.

the reality is, when your team plays well and loses, simply because the other team is just better, you can still have positive take aways, that might apply in other games down the road, against other teams in your peer group. Bama is not in our peer group.

but you still lose. so how much pumping up can you do? state the positives, and remember you still lost despite playing (apparently) pretty well.

lol.

2013 UGA was that game for me. 2016 aTm was another. for those two games in losing efforts, TN passed the eye test.

and still lost...so you can take a lot way from both of those games....and feel good about it. we still didn't win. and as it turned out, neither game really translated to all that much for either season. we lost to Vandy in both of those seasons........so tread lightly. lol.

Reactions: DD4ME
either way, being against "moral victory" is a cheap way to show how you don't accept mediocre results.

the reality is, when your team plays well and loses, simply because the other team is just better, you can still have positive take aways, that might apply in other games down the road, against other teams in your peer group. Bama is not in our peer group.

but you still lose. so how much pumping up can you do? state the positives, and remember you still lost despite playing (apparently) pretty well.

lol.

2013 UGA was that game for me. 2016 aTm was another. for those two games in losing efforts, TN passed the eye test.

and still lost...so you can take a lot way from both of those games....and feel good about it. we still didn't win. and as it turned out, neither game really translated to all that much for either season. we lost to Vandy in both of those seasons........so tread lightly. lol.
Well said. I think that is my biggest take away from Butch era. I care less about an upset than I do about winning games we should. That is why UF upset me so bad this year. I still feel we could beat them had we played mistake free football. Which is why I was conversely fine with the UGA game. We didn't win but we played our game.

Well said. I think that is my biggest take away from Butch era. I care less about an upset than I do about winning games we should. That is why UF upset me so bad this year. I still feel we could beat them had we played mistake free football. Which is why I was conversely fine with the UGA game. We didn't win but we played our game.
not to go all revisionist history, but i think there's a lot of similarities, personnel wise, between Auburn and FL. and not that we could have/should have/would have beaten FL, but i think what you saw against Auburn is what we can be capable of if we don't make the back breaking mistakes, and limit the small ones.

if we can ever figure out how to get 4+ yards on 1st down....well, that would be another improvement.

we're still not there yet, we still have plenty of issues, and we're a little banged up right now.

nothing will come easy and it will require a lot of mistake free football to have chances to win, and honestly, the opponents need to falter a little along the way.

i will say this, i think most everyone left on our schedule probably has the TN game marked as a W, or at worst a slight toss up.

i'm sure there's fan bases in KY, SC and MO that watched Saturday and were like "oh great, TN gets better right before they play us".

i think 6-6 is definitely back on the table.

Reactions: Behr and DD4ME
not to go all revisionist history, but i think there's a lot of similarities, personnel wise, between Auburn and FL. and not that we could have/should have/would have beaten FL, but i think what you saw against Auburn is what we can be capable of if we don't make the back breaking mistakes, and limit the small ones.

if we can ever figure out how to get 4+ yards on 1st down....well, that would be another improvement.

we're still not there yet, we still have plenty of issues, and we're a little banged up right now.

nothing will come easy and it will require a lot of mistake free football to have chances to win, and honestly, the opponents need to falter a little along the way.

i will say this, i think most everyone left on our schedule probably has the TN game marked as a W, or at worst a slight toss up.

i'm sure there's fan bases in KY, SC and MO that watched Saturday and were like "oh great, TN gets better right before they play us".

i think 6-6 is definitely back on the table.
Agree. And although I didn't say it I don't see AU as an upset like some might. They are a down team playing below their skill. We know all too well what that looks like.

Agree. And although I didn't say it I don't see AU as an upset like some might. They are a down team playing below their skill. We know all too well what that looks like.
i think the upset factor has more to do with the state of TN football, than it did with the state of Auburn football.

fair to sa that the two programs are going in opposite directions, sure. but considering all the streaks we ended, that we were still a 2 TD underdog, yada yada yada....it was still a big win.

and for most upsets to happen, the underdog has to do things it hasn't necessarily shown to be capable of, and the favorite has to help out a little bit.

both of those happened Saturday. and we won as a result.

Reactions: Behr
Make Saban go like this!!!!! Hehehe!!!

nick-saban-mad-during-peach-bowl.gif
Love how Saban likes to deny his temper. Who you gonna believe me or your lyin eyes? He’s consistently saying one thing doing another if you pay attention.

Love how Saban likes to deny his temper. Who you gonna believe me or your lyin eyes? He’s consistently saying one thing doing another if you pay attention.

Imagine what he must be like when he is NOT on camera!! In staff meetings or team meetings?!? YIKES!!

Last edited:
Imagine what he must be like when he is NOT on camera!! In staff meetings or team meetings?!?
Yeah he reminds me of al Pacino when he gets angry. I’d bet he’s like the video during practice and meetings when cams are off.

While it's a joke around here (and I understand why), I believe in moral victories.

But, in order for something to be a moral victory, it has to translate to other performances the rest of the way. If playing well against Alabama, but losing, translates into wins most or all of the rest in the way.....then, yeah, it was a moral victory. If losing to Alabama changes nothing, then it really didn't matter.

I am beginning to believe that there are some parallels to Florida and Tennessee's season (or at least there may be).

I think the Kentucky loss for Florida was the best thing that could have happened to Florida and what has occurred since would not have if not for that game. No way to prove that, but I believe it.

It's possible the Florida loss did the same thing for Tennessee. Came out with a different effort level against Georgia. Coach did what he did postgame. Then, they go beat Auburn. If they continue to play well the rest of the way, I think you can point to that timeframe as to when they began to "get it" and turn the corner.

There is no such thing as a moral victory on the football field. Only victory or defeat.

Vandy had moral victories against the Manning yrs. Resist the vandy (loser) spirit imo.

They score on a Hail Mary with no time on the clock. Other than that, I don't think there are moral victories.

VN Store

Back