Midnight Madness? How to start this special season

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
"To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)"

Starting this thread after that disappointing Florida football game, it's not even October but I think we can all see how this basketball season is shaping up to warm wounded orange hearts & egos like those heated blankets after surgery. (...maybe hemorrhoid surgery, to extend the metaphor)

August brought the first threads of "Are we really a Top 5 Team?"

Next month we should see the first new thread devoted to estimating the impact of injuries ("Whose loss can this team withstand / Which injuries destroy our dream season?") as the Epictetuses and Eyors among us begin to temper their hopes, pre-bracing themselves (and VolNation, by way of public service) for impact.

So how is the program planning to start this season? Fan interest will be at an all-time high. Filling TBA for any kind of opening event seems do-able. Heck--at that point in the gridiron Won/Lost record, they could probably host it in Neyland! And if they tied attendance to any kind of voluntary charitable contributions, the event could have impact beyond basketball.

What does anyone actually know? And what would you like to see done?

The hype is going to be off the charts. I actually think pumping the brakes a bit could be a better approach at the first if the season and then the momentum can slowly build. We don't need the players losing focus and getting ahead of reality. This year will be totally different in that they won't sneak up on anybody and every opponent will be looking at TN for a signature win.

It's a long season. 5 months. I want to see the team improve throughout the year. I don't want to see them on fire in November and December and struggle down the stretch. That's what happened to Donnie. Bruce's 31-5 team kind of flamed out in the tournaments. I'd like to see a deep run in the NCAAT more than anything else this season. An SECT championship would be outstanding as well.

I’d love to see a Midnight Madness with Air Pons. Bone and Jalen Johnson would put on a show too. Last time they did one I think the lady Vols were involved. It’d be a good idea this year to show off their newcomers. Believe they had the best class in the country this year.?

From what hasn't been said, sounds like no plans have been announced or alluded to. I figured I had maybe missed something during the summer ... while I was *sailing around the world.

* a lie: just wanted it to look like I had a life.

Men's basketball is not high on the priority list for the AD. It would take something very special to hold a legit Midnight Madness.

Men's basketball is not high on the priority list for the AD. It would take something very special to hold a legit Midnight Madness.

On the other hand, the AD's athletic budget stands to take a huge, autumnal hit this season.

So I'm guessing there will be plenty of time and office energy expended on getting the MO$T out of this basketball season.

You'd think how UT finished last year and the expectations for this season would be enough to draw a big crowd

You'd think how UT finished last year and the expectations for this season would be enough to draw a big crowd
And the fact that we’re a basketball school now by default, cuz we damn sure don’t have a football team anymore.

Reactions: vols 30
I think opening night versus Lenoir-Rhyne will be a decent baseline. If we get 16-17k, then maybe our fans will be for real....
They better be for real. It's the only major sport to be this hyped (and actually proven to be good) we have had in a long long time.

Yup I was there...did 3 point contest and dunk contest and maybe something else, it wasn’t well put together and didn’t include the hype that other schools do.
I stand corrected then.

Do other schools have those kinds of festivities the same night they have an actual midnight madness game?

I stand corrected then.

Do other schools have those kinds of festivities the same night they have an actual midnight madness game?
That’s typically what midnight madness is, it’s not usually a game...it’s dunk contest, 3pt contest, skills contests, and then most do like player intro’s to music with the lights out and hype it up etc. lots of schools also do a short concert with someone well known.

VN Store

Back