Media roasts Penn State's James Franklin

Shades

Shady member
Media burns Penn State James Franklin after Michigan State loss
By BRAD CRAWFORD

Chris Dokish
@ChrisDokish
James Franklin is now 3-11 against Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State.

Losing to Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State annually essentially takes the Nittany Lions out of the Big Ten title race and out of the Playoff picture. Not a good sign when high-level coaches are graded on how they perform in the big games.

Howard Eskin
@howardeskin
Not surprising that #PennState HC James Franklin loses another close game today this one to #MichiganState. Franklin is a fraud as a HC. And his post game news conference was an embarrassment with mostly BS. The Nittany Lions will never win with Franklin. #itajoke

Allan Bell
@AllanBell247
Tonight was the night James Franklin lost the benefit of the doubt to block everyone on Twitter and curse at fans.
That act is a clown show when you now have to win out just to make the Vacation Bible School bowl.

At this point, Penn State has gone from Top 10 team with Playoff aspirations to the butt of all national media jokes in three short weeks.

Cory Giger
@CoryGiger
Penn State’s last 5 losses have been by total of 12 points, and Lions held lead in fourth quarter of each game.
For as much as James Franklin has done for the program, the lack of ability to close out games is BY FAR the biggest weakness of him and his staff.

jbook™
@jbook37
James Franklin pissed down his own leg last two games.

Talking about the used care salesman type blab. He also loses lots of close games and Penn St fans are mad as hell. Sounds familiar

Talking about the used care salesman type blab. He also loses lots of close games and Penn St fans are mad as hell. Sounds familiar
There are a ton of coaches that do that. Not just Butch or Franklin. It only gets noticed and criticized when the coach in question isn't winning enough.

Hell, can you imagine how quickly Saban's act would wear thin at Alabama if he didn't win like he does? Can you imagine how tiring "Trust the Process" would get after each loss?

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
I'm no Franklin fan, but if PSU fans are wanting to run him off, they deserve to be the next Nebraska.
Yep. Him being an ex-Vandy coach blinds some of us here. I personally think the guy is a really good coach. Better recruiter than tactician, and that can be said of the majority of college coaches, but still a really good overall coach.

Personally, I think it is really rare to find a college coach who is just as good (or better) of a tactician/game day coach than recruiter. The only ones that come to mind are guys like Saban, Urban, Jimbo (offensively) perhaps Mark Dantonio or Dan Mullen (never has great recruiting classes but their teams always seem ready to play).

Reactions: tbh
His post OSU rant about being a great team but not an elite team (or whatever it was) shows him to be the shyster we've known for years. He can't handle the top but he blamed his team. Let's not forget App State took them into OT. Could be 3 losses already on the schedule.

The tweets are correct. He's a fraud.

He’s a decent coach. He’s a lousy person though. I still think he and the Vandy coaches knew about the gang rape of that girl.

I don’t think that’s a question, it’s pretty much a given that he knew. The only reason it didn’t go further is literally because the judge in the case graduated from Vandy.

Penn State deserves Franklin, they committed very similar crimes

Reactions: IndyVol46
Don't think Butch could win 9 games at Vandy twice and/or go to multiple NY6 bowls. Especially with a program that was left for dead about 6 years ago.
Franklin has a Jeckyl-Hyde personality.
You have to give him props for what he did at Vandy and how quickly he turned around PSU. But, yes, he seems to **** the bed in those moments. And, combine that with how vocal he is. That rant after one game was not a good look.

Yep. Him being an ex-Vandy coach blinds some of us here. I personally think the guy is a really good coach. Better recruiter than tactician, and that can be said of the majority of college coaches, but still a really good overall coach.

Personally, I think it is really rare to find a college coach who is just as good (or better) of a tactician/game day coach than recruiter. The only ones that come to mind are guys like Saban, Urban, Jimbo (offensively) perhaps Mark Dantonio or Dan Mullen (never has great recruiting classes but their teams always seem ready to play).
He’s probably one of the 10 best coaches in the game, certainly top 15. And that’s about where they finish under him it seems. Saban and Meyer have pretty much ruined it for all of the other coaches because they win so much that no one else can keep up. Dabo is seemingly right there too with 3 straight seasons of 12+ wins. After those 3 it’s a big drop though. Everyone is looking for the next guy like that but it is so rare. So who would they rather have then Franklin? The reality is there is no one outside those 3 coaches definitively more proven than Franklin. A few are similar but not for sure better.

He’s probably one of the 10 best coaches in the game, certainly top 15. And that’s about where they finish under him it seems. Saban and Meyer have pretty much ruined it for all of the other coaches because they win so much that no one else can keep up. Dabo is seemingly right there too with 3 straight seasons of 12+ wins. After those 3 it’s a big drop though. Everyone is looking for the next guy like that but it is so rare. So who would they rather have then Franklin? The reality is there is no one outside those 3 coaches definitively more proven than Franklin. A few are similar but not for sure better.
I think you just said it...they'd rather have a Saban or an Urban. Saban is so good that he basically never loses games he shouldn't have. When Alabama gets beat, it is because another really good team was just a little bit better than they were that day. Saban never gets beat because his team shows up unprepared and lays an egg. Even Urban's teams, as good of a coach as he is, lays eggs from time to time (2017 Iowa, which cost them a CFP spot, 2014 Virginia Tech).

I think that's what truly makes people envious of Alabama above all else - they never beat themselves.

I think you just said it...they'd rather have a Saban or an Urban. Saban is so good that he basically never loses games he shouldn't have. When Alabama gets beat, it is because another really good team was just a little bit better than they were that day. Saban never gets beat because his team shows up unprepared and lays an egg. Even Urban's teams, as good of a coach as he is, lays eggs from time to time (2017 Iowa, which cost them a CFP spot, 2014 Virginia Tech).

I think that's what truly makes people envious of Alabama above all else - they never beat themselves.
I agree. But there’s only 1. I’ve never seen a program like this for so long. It’ll be nice when he finally hangs it up. I sure would like to beat him once first though. Maybe Saturday?

Don't think Butch could win 9 games at Vandy twice and/or go to multiple NY6 bowls. Especially with a program that was left for dead about 6 years ago.

Yeah but Butch did beat Franklin at Vandy with his Cincy team. Couldnt beat him at UT but did at Cincy......go figure.

Franklin isnt anywhere close to being like Botch.
Ok, thought the 'level or so' gave enough leeway for personal preference. Still say Franklin is a Hollywood type personality where appearances are more of a priority than substance. Maybe I'm wrong.

VN Store

Back