Lady Vols News 10-8.. Frontcourt Preview (Nice Read)

Wow! I hadn't looked at the roster before one minute ago, and so I didn't realize until now that Tennessee's smallest player this year is that oh-so-tiny 5'11" Meme Jackson. Is this the tallest team overall in Lady Vol history? If we placed them end-to-end would they reach to the moon? :p

Reactions: mcannon1
Man this team could be even better if hayes could have gotten her act together. Heck if Cooper would have gotten her act together this would be a MUCH different looking team . This year will be a reality check i believe , but i will still support .

PG - Evina
SG- Meme
SF - Zay/Rae /Rennia
PF- Rennia or KK
C- London

Could have been
PG - Tea' or Hayes
SG- Evina
SF - MeMe
PF - Rennia
C- London

Id feel more secure with that 2nd group having to rely on a freshmen or KK to start in that 1st group is worrisome .

Right?! I was saying the same thing while I was looking at the roster. I can see it now, full court pressing, trapping.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Man this team could be even better if hayes could have gotten her act together. Heck if Cooper would have gotten her act together this would be a MUCH different looking team . This year will be a reality check i believe , but i will still support .

PG - Evina
SG- Meme
SF - Zay/Rae /Rennia
PF- Rennia or KK
C- London

Could have been
PG - Tea' or Hayes
SG- Evina
SF - MeMe
PF - Rennia
C- London

Id feel more secure with that 2nd group having to rely on a freshmen or KK to start in that 1st group is worrisome .

You may be on to something after all.
If Meme has worked as hard this summer as she did last summer, she may have acquired the "game" of a SF
I think one of the freshman will break the lineup as a PG.
I would field the following and let October's practice decide the 5th spot..,

PG- Ja, Rae, or Zaye)
SG-Evina
Small F-Meme
Pwr/Pt F-Green
LowPost F- Rennia

The game is evolving, so are the positions

Last edited:
Now that I think of it. I like C. Green at center.
I sure hope KK has hit the gym and give us quality mins in the post.

Now that I think of it. I like C. Green at center.
I sure hope KK has hit the gym and give us quality mins in the post.

Yeah i think Tennessee's best line up will need to have Davis & Green as our Posts and figuring out if Zay green can really be an impact player from day 1 at the SG/SF position. Evina will have to be PG again unless Massengill forces her way into the starting role moving Evina to the 2 and Meme to the 3 . I feel that last starting spot is up for grabs between Zay & Massengill .

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Nared was a good player but did not possess the desire to compete every night. In Russell’s case her feet created a playing style that is difficult to change in a short period of time. Chronic foot problems create an injury in the mind as well as the feet themselves, this caused her not be as active and dominant as she was capable of. With more playing time she can overcome. Rennia is that go to player she is headed for an all conference year. A double double should be synonymous with her name In this years box scores

Nared was a good player but did not possess the desire to compete every night. In Russell’s case her feet created a playing style that is difficult to change in a short period of time. Chronic foot problems create an injury in the mind as well as the feet themselves, this caused her not be as active and dominant as she was capable of. With more playing time she can overcome. Rennia is that go to player she is headed for an all conference year. A double double should be synonymous with her name In this years box scores

Honestly, if the team has a top 10 year, there's no reason to believe that Rennia couldn't be an All-American this year. Can't wait to see her play again!

Reactions: Only1COJ

Teams reflect the personality of their coach,
Players reflect the personality of their floor leaders
Leadership cannot disappear.

It won't this year.
Last year I saw Meme's game change.
It was to get ready for this year.
This will give Rennia a door to leadership next year.
But
From what I have seen in Rennia so far, if she doesn't see leadership, she will be leadership.

If Cheridene and Kasi are in good physical condition (high stamina, no nagging injuries) by the time conference play begins, I have a feeling we fans are going to be very pleased with both of them. Arm strength is good with both, and so I look for them to be able to accept high passes inside and to make the vast majority of their close-range shots. Also, Cheridene is a particularly scrappy rebounder -- a huge plus.
If we are going to be good we have to guard the paint better. There were many times last year, when the paint had a welcome mat. We did not play tough and lacked a lot of physicality. I believe that this group has the ability to play tough. We also need to develop a better offense. Last year, when Russell was double teamed, or Nared had a bad night, we had scoring issues. Everyone is going to have a bad, or inconsistent night, we need players that can pick up the offense on those occasions. We desperately need to develop an offense from all areas outside, midrange and inside. Our defense for the most part, played good enough to win, it was usually the offense that let us down.

Reactions: lvocd
So it seems like the front court has a lot of uncertainty.

I see a step in the right direction. Nice post everyone!

Last edited:
If we are going to be good we have to guard the paint better. There were many times last year, when the paint had a welcome mat. We did not play tough and lacked a lot of physicality. I believe that this group has the ability to play tough. We also need to develop a better offense. Last year, when Russell was double teamed, or Nared had a bad night, we had scoring issues. Everyone is going to have a bad, or inconsistent night, we need players that can pick up the offense on those occasions. We desperately need to develop an offense from all areas outside, midrange and inside. Our defense for the most part, played good enough to win, it was usually the offense that let us down.

Why wait until the ball is down the floor to match up
We use our physicality on the bring down, not the "got there"
If we attack the floor efficient enough,
we control the matchups.

If they feel they can shoot they will shoot straight, If they wonder if they can shoot they will have to think, and thinking has its place in basketball,,,but most of the game is reaction and mechanics... Not thought.

You have to give them permission to fail, to succeed.

VN Store

Back