lack of respect?

it's not getting much airtime since the left can't scream racism on the part of that Turkish reporter.

IMO there is no need to respond to such a dispicable act. I didn't/ wouldn't vote for Obama, but he is my president, but there is no way in hell I'm going to side with some Turkish jagoff against anyone from the US especially my President.

Is this more disrespectful then Iraqi's throwing shoes at Bush's head? Seems like a different spin is being put on it now............

Is this more disrespectful then Iraqi's throwing shoes at Bush's head? Seems like a different spin is being put on it now............

I agree with this 100%...and that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the video.

The fact of the matter is that they were mocking the President of the United States. I don't care what party he's in, it's a damn slap in the face to all of us.

Obama may be a joke, but he's our joke to make fun of :)

As to what motivated the anchor to don blackface to make his comment on Mr. Obama’s address to Turkey’s Parliament, Sebnem explains that he was playing off a Turkish proverb that says, roughly, that a person who asks for a favor darkens his face, but a person who then refuses to grant that person a favor has an even darker face. The idea seems to be something like what English-speakers mean when they say that they are “red-faced” with embarrassment. According to Sebnem:

In the traditional culture here, it has not been an easy act to ask something from a person, like “would you please do this or that for me.” It was even considered to be shameful to a certain extent, so “darkening the face” is like hiding behind your real face, or putting a mask on, to hide your shame.

However, if the person facing this demand, knowing how hard it has been for the other person to ask for it, refuses to help, then it’s even more shameful, and can only be concealed by a darker look, or mask.

Turkish TV Anchor Dons Blackface to Address Obama - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

Much ado about nothing. Go figure the media wouldn't take the time to research the cultural meaning, and kneejerk react, much like we see here.

Turkish TV Anchor Dons Blackface to Address Obama - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

Much ado about nothing. Go figure the media wouldn't take the time to research the cultural meaning, and kneejerk react, much like we see here.

When it comes to race - the cultural meaning of a saying or act is often ignored. If this occurred by a Turkish U.S. citizen in the, he would be lambasted for being racially insensitive even if he meant nothing by it at all. Remember the "eeny meeny miney moe, take a seat it's time to go" incident on Southwest? Two AA women were offended eventhough the poor stewardess had never heard the racial version of this kids rhyme and certainly didn't say it. The judge found in favor of the plaintiffs.

An earlier thread; "Turkish view of Obama."

Obama Turns His Back on Armenian Genocide Pledge

armenian_genocide.jpg

Pelosi and company picked the most inopportune time it could during the Bush administration to pass an "Armenian genocide resolution," (after ninety years of silence), yet what do they do now, back off and go back on campaign promises. What else have we learned to expect from the democrats? Opportunism, whatever is politically expedient at the time seems to fit their bill.

63275_600.jpg

Now it seems their latest tactic is bringing ridicule rather than the praise they sought.

VN Store

Back