Kickoff rule change and some other stuff

I'm glad you're there to speak up for young adults that lack the capability to make decisions for themselves.

A true altruist is among us.

By this logic, let's just go back to letting them lead with their heads and use their heads as battering rams. I'm sure some "young adults" would say that's what they want to do.

Just something I thought of. What if the defense gives up a TD you get the ball at the 20 but if you hold them to a FG then a kickoff is done and a touchback gets you the ball at the 25? You lower kickoffs without abolishing them completely, you add strategy to the game, and your defense is rewarded for holding a team to a FG. Seems like a decent compromise.

Just something I thought of. What if the defense gives up a TD you get the ball at the 20 but if you hold them to a FG then a kickoff is done and a touchback gets you the ball at the 25? You lower kickoffs without abolishing them completely, you add strategy to the game, and your defense is rewarded for holding a team to a FG. Seems like a decent compromise.

If you get rid of the onside kick, you completely change the game.

Reactions: 3 people
If you get rid of the onside kick, you completely change the game.

Okay a little amendment. The team that scored the TD can instead choose to go for an onside kick instead of giving the opposing team the ball at the 20.

I’m thinking more like less then 5 years and the game we know now will be gone in 15 years

It took a couple of decades for football to pass up baseball in the hearts of sports fans, and much of that was due to some really bad decisions by those overseeing baseball. Now, it seems to me the rule makers for football are trying to fast track the process. The financial aspect might keep things going, but these rule changes are making the games less enjoyable. Yeah, fifteen sounds just about right.

Reactions: 1 person
It took a couple of decades for football to pass up baseball in the hearts of sports fans, and much of that was due to some really bad decisions by those overseeing baseball. Now, it seems to me the rule makers for football are trying to fast track the process. The financial aspect might keep things going, but these rule changes are making the games less enjoyable. Yeah, fifteen sounds just about right.

Baseball didn't have a growing CTE problem.

Baseball didn't have a growing CTE problem.

While I agree with this I think football as a whole would admit it is a dangerous game and will lead to detrimental effects of health. If you choose to play this game then you concent to these consequences then you as a player know the risks of the game as well as the rewards. Especially in the pro game. How many players died of CTE in the 80s, 70s? We don’t know because it wasn’t even a diagnosis at that time. I’m sure many had complications. We still have boxing and MMA, that can lead to head injury. I just don’t think it’s football, it’s all contact sports IMO. Choosing to play these sports now the athletes should be well aware of the inherent risk.

Reactions: 2 people
Roll the ball onto the field at the 50, and let them fight for it.

Reactions: 2 people
While I agree with this I think football as a whole would admit it is a dangerous game and will lead to detrimental effects of health. If you choose to play this game then you concent to these consequences then you as a player know the risks of the game as well as the rewards. Especially in the pro game. How many players died of CTE in the 80s, 70s? We don’t know because it wasn’t even a diagnosis at that time. I’m sure many had complications. We still have boxing and MMA, that can lead to head injury. I just don’t think it’s football, it’s all contact sports IMO. Choosing to play these sports now the athletes should be well aware of the inherent risk.

Yes but football can’t sit back and just say “It’s rough, deal with it.” Participation is already dropping and when you have former NFL players saying their kids won’t play, you got a problem.

Yes but football can’t sit back and just say “It’s rough, deal with it.” Participation is already dropping and when you have former NFL players saying their kids won’t play, you got a problem.

Yep... And for all the complaining, it's what football has always done. Chop blocks, hands to the head, peel back blocks, crack backs, horse collars, brutal hits to defenseless players, targeting and a bunch of other stuff was legal not that long ago, and the game's popularity didn't struggle when they were outlawed.

At the same time, watering down the sport will make it unwatchable.

I think that’s exactly what they need to own up to, and let the people make their own choices. Sure, get rid of kickoffs in everything non professional. Improve helmet tech. Thinning the field will not kill the game, making it flag football will, IMO. Informed consent, that’s the key

Reactions: 1 person
Yep... And for all the complaining, it's what football has always done. Chop blocks, hands to the head, peel back blocks, crack backs, horse collars, brutal hits to defenseless players, targeting and a bunch of other stuff was legal not that long ago, and the game's popularity didn't struggle when they were outlawed.

This. Plus if they HAD known back in the 70s and 80s of the long term effects, they would have started changing the game a long time ago.

Also I'm not sure comparing it to boxing and MMA is the best argument; boxing is a shell of its former popularity and MMA is getting more popular but still a bit out of the mainstream.

Chop blocks, are they not still in the rules? I know you can’t chop and engaged player but I think you can still “cut” at the knees. I could be wrong. I’ll google

It'll take awhile, but I think football as a sport peaked.

I think overrsaturation is a bigger problem as far as popularity, especially with the NFL. Making a permanent Thursday night game has been terrible.

It'll take awhile, but I think football as a sport peaked.

Have been watching 90s replays and it was at its best then for me. I noticed one announcer say, “He got his bell rung, probably a slight concussion but he should be back in a few plays.”

Things have changed, for better and worse

VN Store

Back