Kickoff rule change and some other stuff

I think overrsaturation is a bigger problem as far as popularity, especially with the NFL. Making a permanent Thursday night game has been terrible.

It still outpaces the nba finals in viewing. So it sells but for how long

It still outpaces the nba finals in viewing. So it sells but for how long

Yeah, I mean it's not going away anytime soon, and all leagues go through peaks and valleys.

I remember in the late 80s, early 90s the talk was how the NBA was going to be the most popular sport and the NFL would be third behind MLB.

With the NFL it's a very bad product. The play is sloppy as seen with all the penalty flags. Cutting practices at all levels has hurt the game more than any other rule change.

Chop blocks, are they not still in the rules? I know you can’t chop and engaged player but I think you can still “cut” at the knees. I could be wrong. I’ll google

Can't chop block ever. Can't cut from behind. Can't cut more than 5 yards downfield.

Yeah, I mean it's not going away anytime soon, and all leagues go through peaks and valleys.

I remember in the late 80s, early 90s the talk was how the NBA was going to be the most popular sport and the NFL would be third behind MLB.

Here's an SI cover from 1984...

Attachments

• 564B8A08-798D-4463-BD3D-30DC0B2E785D.jpg
    564B8A08-798D-4463-BD3D-30DC0B2E785D.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Yep... And for all the complaining, it's what football has always done. Chop blocks, hands to the head, peel back blocks, crack backs, horse collars, brutal hits to defenseless players, targeting and a bunch of other stuff was legal not that long ago, and the game's popularity didn't struggle when they were outlawed.

So? None of these things took an entire play, a very important play, away from the game.

Reactions: 1 person
I love college football. Even if it isn't the Vols, I'll watch a good game and enjoy the game. I love watching High school teams. But I just don't particularly care about the NFL. It's usually boring.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back