Keller Chryst Shines...

Disagree. The reporting afterwards pretty much confirmed it was pretty much what it appeared to be.

JG thought Jones promised him PT. That seems clear. Jones reneged. That's obvious. JG's sulking and not supporting his teammates is STILL a sign of immaturity that you don't need from a guy who is one play away from leading your football team.
It was a freshman who wanted to compete. I get that it wasn't the response you'd like to see, but I think we need to stop short of making it into a character flaw.

Last edited:
If your looking at it in a strictly Right versus wrong lens then yes he’s a liar. You happy now, you been trying to get me to say this for 2 days so I assume you have some ammo to throw back to me. Your move Big Boy!!
WHy are you so upset about an article that is positive about one of our players. Hate me sure, but why hate the positive news

Reactions: Pacer92
Good point. Just not the one I was responding to. Rudy seemed to suggest that Fulmer gave Schaeffer the starters reps while all the while planning on Ainge being the starter.

IIRC, they split the starter's reps and had a package for each of them until Ainge emerged as the full time starter.
It was all part of the larger conversation concerning scrimmage etiquette...using the Schaeffer/Ainge competition as an example. My take, anyway

It was a freshman who wanted to compete. Stop trying to make it into a character flaw.
It is/was a character flaw until he matures past it. It wasn't about competing. He had been given a chance to compete and didn't win the job. That's when it becomes his responsibility to support his team... including the guy who beat him out... and the coach who bears responsibility for making that call. Don't try to excuse something that isn't excusable. His team was locked in a tight ball game and he was dwelling on his personal feelings.

I sincerely hope that he has matured. He needs it. UT needs him. He has tremendous physical ability. But I don't assume that he's better just because he acted better once he got his way.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
It was all part of the larger conversation concerning scrimmage etiquette...using the Schaeffer/Ainge competition as an example. My take, anyway
:)

My opinion having watched a few of these QB battles is that one guy will begin to go out first with the 1's most of the time and progressively get more of the starter's reps. You could well be right that this one scrimmage was used to see where KC was in relation to JG where JG has been getting the first/most in other practices.

Just something I noticed that seems to hold true even when other signals point in different directions. It just makes sense that you want your starter and starters to work together as much as possible. That's something that can't be hidden or confused to people who attend practice. But like was said before, there aren't as many "spy" reports this year as last.

Reactions: Pacer92
Disagree. The reporting afterwards pretty much confirmed it was pretty much what it appeared to be.

JG thought Jones promised him PT. That seems clear. Jones reneged. That's obvious. JG's sulking and not supporting his teammates is STILL a sign of immaturity that you don't need from a guy who is one play away from leading your football team.
What “reporting”? Herbie commenting on sideline footage. It was one game and it was overplayed...as is ESPN’s wont.

Reactions: TexasVolfan1
WHy are you so upset about an article that is positive about one of our players. Hate me sure, but why hate the positive news

Come on man, you know I don’t hate ya. And I’m not upset. I just think the article is a bad attempt at trying to create drama around the QB battle. I also think Brice was just pushing whatever content he could so he could create a clickbait article.

:)

My opinion having watched a few of these QB battles is that one guy will begin to go out first with the 1's most of the time and progressively get more of the starter's reps. You could well be right that this one scrimmage was used to see where KC was in relation to JG where JG has been getting the first/most in other practices.

Just something I noticed that seems to hold true even when other signals point in different directions. It just makes sense that you want your starter and starters to work together as much as possible. That's something that can't be hidden or confused to people who attend practice. But like was said before, there aren't as many "spy" reports this year as last.

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. I wonder how much weight would be given if JG “reportedly” gets more love in the second scrimmage?

In regards to the way JG acted during the GT game, I totally agree that he was in the wrong. But we need to take in consideration that he is still a young kid and he was lied to. He also was probably thinking that if he was going to be lied to in the first game then he wasn't going to get a fair shake. Have we forgotten already that Dormandy was engaged to BJ's god-daughter. In that situation I know I would feel a certain type of way and at that age probably wouldn't have the maturity to handle it the right way either.

What “reporting”? Herbie commenting on sideline footage. It was one game and it was overplayed...as is ESPN’s wont.
My take as well. It was also on the coaching staff. Nobody seemed to think it was important to have the backup QB on a headset, next to the QB coach etc.

In regards to the way JG acted during the GT game, I totally agree that he was in the wrong. But we need to take in consideration that he is still a young kid and he was lied to. He also was probably thinking that if he was going to be lied to in the first game then he wasn't going to get a fair shake. Have we forgotten already that Dormandy was engaged to BJ's god-daughter. In that situation I know I would feel a certain type of way and at that age probably wouldn't have the maturity to handle it the right way either.
Speaking of overplayed. Who Dormady fell in love with and got engaged to spun into a throwaway Game of Thrones episode renders so called men unable to mock chick flicks and the View. We’re as goofy as the most menstrual when there’s a silly conspiracy afoot.

My take as well. It was also on the coaching staff. Nobody seemed to think it was important to have the backup QB on a headset, next to the QB coach etc.

Just like when Darrel Taylor was ejected from the game for throwing punches I believe It was. Darrell walks off the field and not a single coach looked at him or went over to him on he sideline to teach him that those actions weren’t ok. He walked right past butch and the guy never even looked at Darrell. That’s a HUGE teaching moment imo. That mixed in with what you said about JG not wearing a headset or not being by the qb coach during GT game just proves that the coaching last year was beyond terrible.

Come on man, you know I don’t hate ya. And I’m not upset. I just think the article is a bad attempt at trying to create drama around the QB battle. I also think Brice was just pushing whatever content he could so he could create a clickbait article.
I don’t know Brice personally so I can’t say if he is pushing an agenda for drama or not. I just take it a face value that KC had a good scrimmage.

First time I had really noticed how isolated QB backups were. Looking back, Dormady was VN scouted as aloof and non-involved...especially when compared to madman Sheriron Jones histrionics. It was that system...and it was odd.

I don't think they had the wherewithal to think about their backups at any position. "Practice the starters, and the backups are future Butch's problem."

That's how you end up with a backup that doesn't know what a QB sneak is.

I don't think they had the wherewithal to think about their backups at any position. "Practice the starters, and the backups are future Butch's problem."

That's how you end up with a backup that doesn't know what a QB sneak is.
Exactly... 2nd string guy needs a headset on. 3rd and 4th string guys need to be signalling in plays or standing next to the guy that does.

Reactions: vader and shotgun83
After Bajakian left we never had a true QB coach. Nick Sheridan was the closest we had to that, and he was decent. As a GA I feel like he was a better QB coach than Chico was.

Reactions: shotgun83
I'm really hoping that with new coaching staff they both can be developed into qb's that can be as good or better than their peers at other schools.

I just want to say it's cute to see someone extrapolate mathematical statements and formula purely through the lazy musings of any Tennessee beat writer.

NO, I'm saying he is writing an article based on someone else's interpretation of events that he did not see, and I'm saying that that is no more reliable than the previous comments we have gotten from other media sources. Why do you think this one article is infallible, yet the other media guys opinions aren't worthy?
One might assume the source referenced in the article is a member of the football staff, since the practice was closed. I’m not sure why that persons opinion or observation should be discounted any more than a random media’s perception. I mean, my gosh, does anyone think Wes Rucker played anything more than the piccolo in the school band? Yet the perception is that any sourcing the isn’t a regurgitation of a journalists direct observation is somehow tainted. Absurd.

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. I wonder how much weight would be given if JG “reportedly” gets more love in the second scrimmage?
Dunno. I felt like things were leaning in his direction partly based on a someone saying that he was first with the 1's in the open practice. We don't have enough info on what's happening in the other practices.

I would guess that him getting more work with the 1's in the 2nd scrimmage would perhaps be more significant since it is closer to the 1st game.

Jones and JG's father have a relationship that goes back to his father's playing days at Rutgers.

Yet many young players do handle it well. They don't put their feelings ahead of their teammates. There are lots of young kids every year who think they'll play or feel led to believe they'll play. He got a fair shake. He got a chance to compete for the job for about 8 months before losing out.

You're still making excuses after saying what he did was wrong. It was wrong. He has to grow up. Hopefully he has already.

i think at this point it's probably ok to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on the attitude thing. it's been a year since. a lot has changed. no reason yet to think he just might have changed as well.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider

VN Store

Back