Colin Kaepernick Thread

Yeah, I don't watch baseball until around August, if at all. I saw a Business Insider article about it. Why do you ask?

You mentioned it in another thread that same day. Crowd size in baseball has been trending down for years. Sadly.

You mentioned it in another thread that same day. Crowd size in baseball has been trending down for years. Sadly.

And they keep building taxpayer subsidized cathedrals. It's so stupid. Braves haven't averaged 80% of their current capacity this decade, and that's ticket sales, not attendance. Can't believe they got a new stadium.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol

Not sure what your point is, but the revenue increase raises some questions.

They spent $1.1B and yes, revenue is up $124M, but how much of that is actual profit? What's the actual ROI?

How much will the revenue boost diminish this year and the following years? Would revenue have risen in a similar fashion had they built a 35k capacity stadium? Did they use that revenue to pay taxpayers back?

From your article, this says it all:

There still might be some controversy surrounding how the stadium itself is being paid for, but the Braves are laughing all the way to the bank as it stands.

Reactions: 1 person

images

Now his reps want a list of who will atttend? Hopefully no one

Sources: Kap reps sought different workout date

"Now?" It doesn't sound like Kaepernick is the one being unreasonable. Seems like a sham of a workout so that the NFL can cover its own backside.

As Kaepernick suggested in the tweet, the proposed workout on Saturday came as a surprise to the quarterback and his representatives.

Sources told ESPN that Kaepernick and his reps weren't alerted until 10 a.m. Tuesday. When notified, the quarterback's reps asked for the workout to be on a Tuesday, which typically is when all NFL workouts take place, since head coaches and general managers can more easily attend. On Saturday, almost half of the NFL teams will be traveling to games, and most of the rest of the coaches and players will be heading to their team hotels to prepare for their games the next day.

But the NFL said the workout had to be on a Saturday, sources told ESPN. When the league was asked if it could be on the following Saturday -- by making it this Saturday, the 32 teams only have about three days to make a decision on whether to attend and who to send -- the NFL said no and didn't provide a reason why.

Sources told ESPN that the NFL league office also said that none of the 32 teams had been made aware of the workout prior to the memo being sent. When Kaepernick's representatives asked if a team or teams had asked for the workout, they explained that the NFL league office said, "We can't tell you that."

Sources also told Graziano that Kaepernick's side had to make a decision before a 4 p.m. ET personnel notice would be sent to teams.

Because of the shroud of mystery around the workout and because none of the 32 NFL teams had been informed prior to Tuesday, Kaepernick's representatives began to question the legitimacy of the workout and process and whether it was just a PR stunt by the league, sources told ESPN. The NFL league office was told that because GMs and head coaches make personnel decisions, especially as important as the quarterback position is, that they wanted to see a list of personnel executives and coaches who would be attending the workout.

Please....some reporter ask him how he feels about the Hong Kong protesters. Should be in full support, right?

I don't think this would be a difficult question for him, especially since the NFL doesn't have a close relationship with China the way the NBA does

It would be humbling for Kap if none showed up. I’m tired of that SOB getting any attention.
It’s absolutely sickening listening to idiots on sports radio talking about this. I heard someone this morning talking about how Kap was unfairly booted out of the league even though he’s good enough to at least be a backup and then this same person started talking about how unfair it was to give such a short notice of this workout. This is exactly the kind of crap that is wrong with this country. First, Kap was offered opportunities to continue playing in the league and turned them down. Second, he is getting an opportunity that no one in NFL history has been given so there is no room to complain about where and when it is taking place. Kap himself has been saying he has stayed in shape and ready to go any time. To be fair, I haven’t heard Kap complaining about the short notice, just a talking head on the radio.

Reactions: tbones0711
It’s absolutely sickening listening to idiots on sports radio talking about this. I heard someone this morning talking about how Kap was unfairly booted out of the league even though he’s good enough to at least be a backup and then this same person started talking about how unfair it was to give such a short notice of this workout. This is exactly the kind of crap that is wrong with this country. First, Kap was offered opportunities to continue playing in the league and turned them down. Second, he is getting an opportunity that no one in NFL history has been given so there is no room to complain about where and when it is taking place. Kap himself has been saying he has stayed in shape and ready to go any time. To be fair, I haven’t heard Kap complaining about the short notice, just a talking head on the radio.

The NFL giving him the worst setup possible just so they can say "See? We tried" is very much worthy of being called out by someone, IMO. Hard to even try to argue that they're acting in good faith.

Speaking of which, does anyone here think the NFL IS acting in good faith, or is it just that people think bad faith is justified?

Reactions: Slydell
The NFL giving him the worst setup possible just so they can say "See? We tried" is very much worthy of being called out by someone, IMO. Hard to even try to argue that they're acting in good faith.

Speaking of which, does anyone here think the NFL IS acting in good faith, or is it just that people think bad faith is justified?
Sounds to me like you think he is entitled to this workout and he just isn’t. They don’t have to give him a thing. The fact is he was offered a job in the NFL and it wasn’t what he wanted so he turned it down. Also, these are some mighty big hoops to jump through for someone who is likely a backup at best.

Good point. In that case, I'd actually like to see him asked that question too

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he stated he was in support of the protesters. Would be consistent with his views and his behavior on the subject, imo. He's demonstrated he is willing to risk losing money on principle.

Reactions: NashVol11

VN Store

Back