Jury Nullification in Georgia

If you feel so strongly in your disapproval of the law that you’re willing to fight and die for it like they did in the American revolution, then perhaps it is of such transcendent importance. I obviously believe there are cases in which such disobedience of the law is warranted, but it’s extremely rare. In lieu of that I’m supportive of democratic ways in which laws can be changed - which just so happens to be the system that those revolutionaries laid out for us.
They also laid out jury nullification as a way to check unjust laws. More than one way to skin a cat.

I don't think anyone in this thread is against laws being changed or our ability to do so.
My point is that laws SHOULD be changed but rarely are. It is a slow process to change a law; by design I suspect. When the process of changing is too slow or absent we must be civilly disobedient to enact the change or neuter the law.
And by “we” you mean a handful of random people on a jury? I believe “we” are actually more represented in the laws in which our representatives pass even if I personally disagree w some.

Why would a system be devised to allow jury nullification as a check and balance? The purpose of the judiciary was clearly to interpret law; not ignore it when it's inconvenient.

The judiciary and a jury are two separate things.

Why would a system be devised to allow jury nullification as a check and balance? The purpose of the judiciary was clearly to interpret law; not ignore it when it's inconvenient.
Probably because they just fought a war over an oppressive government and wanted as many checks on govt tyranny as possible.

It's not that I think all nullification is necessarily bad. I just think widespread use would be bad.

I see the point about a slippery slope, however the argument about letting a dumb, uncaring jury make that type of call is silly. They are already making the call either way. I support their decision here. I may not support it for a different scenario. I think they should be able to do it if they feel it is the correct decision.

Muh laws, etc.

Bad laws undermine the system. Checks snd balances, like jury nullification, validate the system.

Jury nullification doesn't really fit within the system. It is a rare event that happens outside the system. It is an outlier that simply adds uncertainty to the system.

Aren't you technically on the gubments payroll while you are in jury duty?
If you mean the government gives you enough money to pay for parking in the government’s parking garage, then yes. Many employers have a policy where you forfeit your jury duty pay in exchange for being paid for those days. So maybe the companies work for the government?

If you mean the government gives you enough money to pay for parking in the government’s parking garage, then yes. Many employers have a policy where you forfeit your jury duty pay in exchange for being paid for those days. So maybe the companies work for the government?
I think employers may be required to pay you for those days since you have no choice in the matter. I know my first job made me either report the income and take a pay cut or they knew what county you lived in and deducted that amount from your check. It was like $15 per day or something silly.

It's not that I think all nullification is necessarily bad. I just think widespread use would be bad.
Well too much of anything is bad. We obviously need balance. But we are far, far away from being anywhere close to jury nullification being any sort of problem. If anything, the pendulum is swung too far in favor of the law and lawmakers and needs a severe correction towards the middle. That is where jury nullification comes into play. We have far too many laws in this country.

I think employers may be required to pay you for those days since you have no choice in the matter. I know my first job made me either report the income and take a pay cut or they knew what county you lived in and deducted that amount from your check. It was like $15 per day or something silly.
Whether a company pays you for jury duty can differ by state. There is no federal law that says they have to. We got $9 a day and it was $6 to park. And you couldn’t bring your lunch.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Are you in favor of protecting laws or serving justice?

You're asking the wrong question. It's not about protecting the 'laws' it's about protecting the system in which laws are applied.

One doesn't have to like or agree with a law to understand why they are necessary for a civilized society. They are essential and part of the fabric of the Republic.

You're asking the wrong question. It's not about protecting the 'laws' it's about protecting the system in which laws are applied.

One doesn't have to like or agree with a law to understand why they are necessary for a civilized society. They are essential and part of the fabric of the Republic.
20,000 laws are essential to the fabric of our Republic?

VN Store

Back