*****Jeremy Pruitt weekly press conference at noon (Notes and Video)

Behr and Josh. I have no animosity with fans who have hope and see great potential in CJP. Im glad yall still have hope after the decade of despair.
Where i differ is when people get their panties twisted because they dont want to agree with concerns seen on the field. And then we get excuses (which may be valid) and a mantra of "he's the man/great coach".
i can see that.

i'm hopeful for pruitt and this staff. on the surface, they all seem to be what should be a good coach and staff.

can't say i'm willing to defend the coaching effort from Saturday, though i do think the defense is showing some signs of life.

offensively, we gotta lot of work to do.

all that said, we really won't know for 3 years.

the one thing i do feel confident in saying at this point is that we do have a long way to go, the roster does need an overhaul, and for the next two years, we'll be relying on many of the newcomers in both of the next two classes. so i'm anticipating more youth, and depth issues. by the time the 2019 class is Jr.s and RS So, i think we'll have all we need to know about Pruitt and co.

of course, if we have some Butch type fiascos between now and then where we continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that can tell you a lot too. so w/out knowing what the future holds in that regard, 2021 looks to me to be the year we'd have a team that's all Pruitt's.

Reactions: McDad
Lol at 7. He sucks. Haha.

What's Jurmy's problem though? Why hasn't he and his staff shown us a better product than what we've seen thus far?
My worry, as much as I want to like him and have his succeed here, is that Pruitt is Muschamp 2.0. Recruits well and has good defenses, but never is able to get the offense to come around. I really hope we're not getting an early glimpse of what I'm talking about already. The defense actually looked OK against Florida (put in horrible positions) and was good for a half against West Virginia. You have guys like Baylen Buchanan on that side of the ball taking blame for the Florida loss and saying too much was made of the offense's 6 turnovers because the defense only forced one. That's an absurd statement, but I like it anyway because he's being accountable. I think he is having a positive impact on that side of the ball.

The offensive line, meanwhile, isn't even FBS-level. It's even worse than last year's, and last year's was absolutely atrocious.

I am not willing to come to a conclusion about Pruitt until year 3, maybe even into year 4 (assuming he's still here after 3). The offensive line is going to take at least 2 years from today to rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: amorange
well even in his presser Pruitt said "people make mistakes and we're moving on".

he never said it was Sapp that made the mistake.....could be they did talk, pruitt realized later what actually happened, maybe he overreacted?
that's at least as likely as any ohter scenario that's been presented, not knowing what actually took place, or what was said yesterday.

just sayin'.
I agree completely. Lines of communication get crossed. Both could be giving an accurate account of their side of the incident.
He did say it was Sapp that made the mistake. He said it Saturday night, and hasn't said any different since.

A lot of good coaches started off as coordinators.

There’s no way to tell how good of a HC Pruitt will be until he gets a couple of his recruiting classes under his belt.

If he’s still struggling with his own players he recruited, then there’s a legit reason to be concerned.

Quit perpetuating this myth. A good/great coach can make any football team/player better.

Reactions: ButchPlz
i'm talking about his presser today.
Me too. He had a chance to correct what he said and he didn't. He said he sent Sapp to the lockeroom (cause he wouldn't play). So Pruitt still maintains the stance that Sapp refused to play, yes? And he's willing to let people continue to believe that's what happened, even though Sapp denies it.

the one thing i do feel confident in saying at this point is that we do have a long way to go, the roster does need an overhaul, and for the next two years, we'll be relying on many of the newcomers in both of the next two classes. so i'm anticipating more youth, and depth issues. by the time the 2019 class is Jr.s and RS So, i think we'll have all we need to know about Pruitt and co.
Ordinarily I'd say this statement makes no sense, but this roster has talent but needs an overhaul anyway. Usually you say that about a roster full of scrubs.

I do like that Pruitt's step #1 from a recruiting perspective appears to be adding a lot of beef up front on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Quit perpetuating this myth. A good/great coach can make any football team/player better.
Saban and Kirby both had really underwhelming first years before getting it rolling in year 2, and neither of those jobs were as difficult as Pruitt's. Particularly Kirby's. He inherited a 10-win team littered with talent. I'm not willing to come to a firm conclusion about any coach until they are coaching a roster that is made up predominantly of guys he has recruited. I'd give that same benefit of the doubt to Saban in year 3 or Kirby in year 3, but they answered the question before year 3 so it's irrelevant.

It also took Dabo 5 years to get it rolling at Clemson, and even then they didn't stop "Clemsoning" until 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennMan101
Me too. He had a chance to correct what he said and he didn't. He said he sent Sapp to the lockeroom (cause he wouldn't play). So Pruitt still maintains the stance that Sapp refused to play, yes? And he's willing to let people continue to believe that's what happened, even though Sapp denies it.
i didn't take it that way. just said he's been a good leader, great ambassador, that they talked and everybody makes mistakes, and they're moving on.

i didn't get the impression he was doubling down on anything he said Saturday night.

Reactions: McDad and vollygirl
Scott Frost, Chip Kelly, Pruitt, and Chad Morris (Ark) probably agree...unless you've been dealt a S**T sandwich to coach up.

i can see that.

i'm hopeful for pruitt and this staff. on the surface, they all seem to be what should be a good coach and staff.

can't say i'm willing to defend the coaching effort from Saturday, though i do think the defense is showing some signs of life.

offensively, we gotta lot of work to do.

all that said, we really won't know for 3 years.

of course, if we have some Butch type fiascos between now and then where we continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that can tell you a lot too. so w/out knowing what the future holds in that regard, 2021 looks to me to be the year we'd have a team that's all Pruitt's.

I just want something to hang my hat on. A hungry team that brings the fight for 60 minutes even in defeat. An upset victory over a "better" team. A recruiting class slam dunk victory. Even if it happens next year, i really want it to happen. It will give me peace that this process will not be in vain and we start all over again in 2023.

i didn't take it that way. just said he's been a good leader, great ambassador, that they talked and everybody makes mistakes, and they're moving on.

i didn't get the impression he was doubling down on anything he said Saturday night.
I guess I expected him to man up say he was wrong and that Sapp didn't refuse to play. I expected him to support his player.

I'm done. Sorry for dragging this out. And thanks for letting me get it out of my system. :)

I guess I expected him to man up say he was wrong and that Sapp didn't refuse to play. I expected him to support his player.

I'm done. Sorry for dragging this out. And thanks for letting me get it out of my system. :)
no worries. just a matter of perspective, i'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong. just like i said originally, we don't really know, so your perspective has every bit the same chance at being as accurate as mine.

It’s not that simple. Ask all the first year coaches around the country, who are proven, but still struggling. The players have to be willing and sometimes that doesn’t happen right away, especially with upperclassmen who weren’t recruited by the current staff. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better, which I’m tired of, just as much as everyone else is.

It’s not that simple. Ask all the first year coaches around the country, who are proven, but still struggling. The players have to be willing and sometimes that doesn’t happen right away, especially with upperclassmen who weren’t recruited by the current staff. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better, which I’m tired of, just as much as everyone else is.
unless it's us, and then it's EVERYTIME..............whoopee!!!

Oh. Well, one of them isn't being truthful then. I guess I hope it's Sapp, cause I don't want a coach that would let someone believe a player literally quit on his team during a game when they didn't.
CJP said he didn’t leave on his own, he was told to leave .

Truer words never spoken.

I do believe that we are seeing a perfect storm of the effect of three teams getting pretty much all the very top talent, and a handful of others enough to compete, with the rest of us fighting over 3 stars like they were gold nuggets.

There is Alabama, Ga., and Clemson.

Then there is tOSU, Texas A & M, and a few others, maybe LSU, Oklahoma.

And the rest of us are so far behind that any dramatic change to a program is going to be a lot harder than it used to be. Gone are the days of turning it around in two recruiting cycles, or just scheming better with new blood at the helm. Those teams at the top are so far out front that the rest of us just cannot hope to catch up in any reasonable time frame.

It might actually be slightly better than mid-level SEC talent. Someone did the research on here and showed that the average star rating of our entire current roster was a tenth of a point higher than Florida's. When you're talking that's the average, a tenth of a point on a 1-5 scale isn't gigantic but it is noticeable. The "lack of talent" that some on here and most in the national media talk about is overstated. This team had, for years, a lack of development and proper coaching, not talent.

On paper, this team is the second most-talented in the East and probably 5th or 6th most talented in the SEC. IMO, only Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M are noticeably more talented. There are 12 or 13 teams in this conference that actually play better than us, but I'm talking about how the roster looks on paper. This team plays like it has the least or second-least talent out of the 14 schools.

The gap between us and the rest of the league isn't a question of talent (we have more talent than some teams we are going to likely lose to this year). It was the total lack of coaching/development from the previous coaching staff.

You people can malign the talent level, and the development of that talent all you want, but we have been exceedingly competitive with Florida in recent years. Why this year, all of the sudden, are we without talent. It's not as though they have had a chance to rebuild while we haven't. The teams are quite similar to last year.

Pruitt is doing a good job.

I hope the players who did get to play respect the efforts those who did not get to play.

I don’t think Jeremy truly had any earthly idea what an immensely difficult job this would be when he accepted it. He’s gotta completely change this culture, flip it around if he’s gonna have ANY success. Roster is full of a bunch of entitled losers who have no idea how to give the type of effort needed to win here. I’m convinced he’s gotta completely turn this roster over as soon as humanly possible. I don’t think he’s got more than 10-12 guys (maybe) that he ultimately needs in the program at the moment to win here.

Far more entitled losers on VN than on the roster.

VN Store

Back