Jamal Khashoggi

I remember a time when you were concerned about him going off half-cocked and starting a war. Now you are criticizing him for being measured and wanting all the facts.

You honestly think trump wants to wait and get all the facts? He's not going to do sht. You think his value system is going to blow up a $100B arms deal and risk pissing off OPEC because some camel jockey WaPo reporter was offed? LOL

Edit: I should point out that this isn't our problem, we've got bigger fish to fry. That cat knew what he was doing and I'm a firm believer in the adage of "talk sht, get hit." Maybe don't criticize the people who have the will, power and means to make you disappear.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the Saudis weren't trying to send a message to other potential dissidents that this is what happens to those who speak bad about us.

How would they have gotten the message out? I’m not saying you’re wrong, it just seems like that would be a risky maneuver. It’s clear they weren’t expecting to be found out. They also now know they can do this again and get in trouble for it.

How would they have gotten the message out? I’m not saying you’re wrong, it just seems like that would be a risky maneuver. It’s clear they weren’t expecting to be found out. They also now know they can do this again and get in trouble for it.

How did they really expect to get away with this? He just walked in and never came out?

You honestly think trump wants to wait and get all the facts? He's not going to do sht. You think his value system is going to blow up a $100B arms deal and risk pissing off OPEC because some camel jockey WaPo reporter was offed? LOL

Edit: I should point out that this isn't our problem, we've got bigger fish to fry. That cat knew what he was doing and I'm a firm believer in the adage of "talk sht, get hit." Maybe don't criticize the people who have the will, power and means to make you disappear.

Then what are you bellyaching about?

Not so much anymore, their imports to the US are way down.
Oil imports period are down. They are still #2 behind Canada.

The US-Saudi "alliance" isn't just about importing oil directly from them though. They are seen as a stabilizing force in the Middle East (mostly against Iranian influence) and help keep the shipping lanes open.

I don't think it matters all that much about how much oil we may import from SA. Oil is a global market and disruptions to supply will significantly affect prices everywhere. On the arms sales front, weapons (mostly military aircraft, missiles, and bombs) are made in the USA and there are hundreds of thousands employees making those deliverables. We could see gas prices spike maybe 25%? or more and maybe lay off a few thousand workers for what? Would we be doing this for the Washington Post or the American People? As far as I can tell the guy wasn't a journalist any more than Trump writing an OP ED would make him a journalist. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the SA government but I don't have any sympathy for this guy either. The world can be a cruel place. We should pick our fights carefully. jmo.

world-map-of-oil-exports-b851.jpg

Conducting business and maintaining diplomatic relations which promote our interests with authoritarian thugs who commit atrocities is an unfortunate reality for the US. The only time their human rights crimes should cross a line for us is if they commit a murder on US soil. I feel bad for this guy's family but there is nothing the United States should do about it. Trump is very inarticulate and doing a poor job of explaining his position on this... His position is correct but he is only explaining it in terms of money and transactions which are beneficial to the United States. He should also explain how important Saudi Arabia is to peace in the region and as a check against Iranian aggression. But as usual, he is a bull in a China shop and only talking about deals we have pending with the Saudis and trying to excuse their conduct (he was not a US citizen and the Crown Prince denies knowledge of it) and coming across as a morally indifferent clod.

Reactions: Septic and Mick

Always laughed when that term was used.

"Aim high boys......"

Reactions: Septic
Conducting business and maintaining diplomatic relations which promote our interests with authoritarian thugs who commit atrocities is an unfortunate reality for the US. The only time their human rights crimes should cross a line for us is if they commit a murder on US soil. I feel bad for this guy's family but there is nothing the United States should do about it. Trump is very inarticulate and doing a poor job of explaining his position on this... His position is correct but he is only explaining it in terms of money and transactions which are beneficial to the United States. He should also explain how important Saudi Arabia is to peace in the region and as a check against Iranian aggression. But as usual, he is a bull in a China shop and only talking about deals we have pending with the Saudis and trying to excuse their conduct (he was not a US citizen and the Crown Prince denies knowledge of it) and coming across as a morally indifferent clod.
Some people will tell you they've done that, more or less.

giphy.gif

If you're talking about so many of the 9/11 hijackers being from Saudi Arabia, that's true.
Not just that, but the pretty strong indication they were aided and abetted by elements connected with the royal family, if not members of the royal family themselves, and that members of the royal family knew about this and did nothing.

It is a very strange and bad relationship we have with them. All alliances, whether it is with the UK or with Saudi Arabia, are based on shared strategic interests. The Saudi relationship is just odd because if the cookie crumbled a different way after the end of WWII, we'd probably be their sworn enemy. So we have this strategic interest based on oil and security, but they also are ultraconservative, fundamentalist, Wahabbis and they have to placate those elements in their society.

Damn boys, laying down some truth.

I'm not condoning what happened to Khashoggi, but apparently he crapped in the wrong bed..... the Saudis decided to take out the trash..... so to speak.... but forgot all about keeping it on the down low. This kind of thing happens more than we know.... for certain anyway.....see Seth Rich....Vince Foster

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday to discuss the disappearance and presumed murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. That same day, the U.S. government received a $100 million payment from the oil-rich kingdom, The New York Times and Washington Post reported — an amount that had earlier been promised to the Trump administration to support its stabilization efforts in Syria.

“In all probability, the Saudis want Trump to know that his cooperation in covering for the Khashoggi affair is important to the Saudi monarch,” Joshua Landis, director of the University of Oklahoma’s Center of Middle East Studies, told the Post. “Much of its financial promises to the U.S. will be contingent on this cooperation.”
One U.S. official involved in Syria policy was blunter. “The timing of this is no coincidence,” the official told the Times.
Saudi Arabia 'Coincidentally' Wires $100 Million To U.S. Amid Khashoggi Controversy | HuffPost

VN Store

Back