Jamal Khashoggi

Bloomberg -u-s-knew-of-saudi-plan-to-seize-missing-journalist ?

U.S. intelligence services intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture Saudi journalist and government critic Jamal Khashoggi, whose disappearance in Turkey last week threatens to damage the warm ties between the kingdom and Washington.

The Saudis were discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi back to the kingdom, The Washington Post reported, citing a person familiar with the communications, which were intercepted before he vanished. Khashoggi, a columnist for the newspaper, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 and is feared to be detained or dead.

What does this have to do with the discussion at hand?
I know insight is totally lost on you PoundMuckToo, but Ras was pointing to how many don’t trust the ruling factions of Saudi Arabia and Turkey yet our leaders still court them and make alliances with them. I was pointing out this is nothing new. We did the very same thing with a dangerous enemy in WWII, Russia. But FDR was in love with them. Patton was right. We should have crushed their communist asses at the end of WWII. And as soon as we pump all the oil out of Turkey and the Arabian Peninsula we will throw them to the curb also.

I know insight is totally lost on you PoundMuckToo, but Ras was pointing to how many don’t trust the ruling factions of Saudi Arabia and Turkey yet our leaders still court them and make alliances with them. I was pointing out this is nothing new. We did the very same thing with a dangerous enemy in WWII, Russia. But FDR was in love with them. Patton was right. We should have crushed their communist asses at the end of WWII. And as soon as we pump all the oil out of Turkey and the Arabian Peninsula we will throw them to the curb also.
Sounds like you were having your own little discussion in your head. Glad you could articulate it here for us to see. But what does that have to do with this missing and presumed dead journalist?

There is no way we beat Russia in WWII without nuking the whole place.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
There is no way we beat Russia in WWII without nuking the whole place.
Really depends on other factors. Would the Brits with their navy be along for the ride? Would the US fully mobilize? What would be the effect on Russia when the Allies stopped supplying them?

Russian troops and generals were battle hardened for sure, and there would have been a steep learning curve for Allied troops and leadership in fighting a more Eastern front style campaign.

Without a doubt it is interesting to prognosticate on.

Really depends on other factors. Would the Brits with their navy be along for the ride? Would the US fully mobilize? What would be the effect on Russia when the Allies stopped supplying them?

Russian troops and generals were battle hardened for sure, and there would have been a steep learning curve for Allied troops and leadership in fighting a more Eastern front style campaign.

Without a doubt it is interesting to prognosticate on.
Look at what happened to the German army. The Russians strung them out for hundreds of miles until their supply lines were too long and they were enveloped. Their superior air was useless when there were no close bases to sortie from. Russian rail lines were a different gauge than German, so miles were rebuild at large cost of material and time. The Germans had a far superior force that was simply whittled into nothing and had nothing to show for it. The US would have the additional burden to maintain transatlantic supply lines into the interior of Russia. And if they waited for Japan to capitulate first they would be staring down the Russian winter in a few weeks. Color me skeptical.

We could have pushed them al the way out of what became the eastern block. The Russians had almost zero air assets.
if only that worked 3/4 years earlier for Hitler.

-I don't think it would have worked. The Germans also outmanned the Russians in the sky. and Russia was too darn big to strategically bomb to death, especially considering we would have had to build our airbases on the mainland.

VN Store

Back