Jack Ryan, Amazon

Just finished 2nd season.
Pretty bad.
Started off well, but it got really bad toward the end.

Really disappointed with the writing and storyline of this season. I‘m a big JK fan, I hate to see the writing mess up his version of Jack Ryan after what I thought was a pretty good start in Season 1. I saw a behind the scenes trailer sitting in a theater the other day, and they were all talking about how Season 2 is bigger, louder, and more outrageous camera shots and explosions. The Jack Ryan character I’ve always known is completely the opposite of that description. Jack Ryan is a character who doesn’t back down from a fight, but he should never be confused with Jason Bourne either. I hope in season 3 they will add a little more humanity back to his character.

Really disappointed with the writing and storyline of this season. I‘m a big JK fan, I hate to see the writing mess up his version of Jack Ryan after what I thought was a pretty good start in Season 1. I saw a behind the scenes trailer sitting in a theater the other day, and they were all talking about how Season 2 is bigger, louder, and more outrageous camera shots and explosions. The Jack Ryan character I’ve always known is completely the opposite of that description. Jack Ryan is a character who doesn’t back down from a fight, but he should never be confused with Jason Bourne either. I hope in season 3 they will add a little more humanity back to his character.

I mostly agree. I thought they made him way too "Commando" in this. And when they were storming in to get Greer I kind of rolled my eyes. They are just straight up shooting up the President's mansion and taking out his guards and forces with relative ease. Also it was weird that he was ready to off the Venezuelan President but just a bit earlier he seemed apprehensive to shoot the guy who sold out Greer.

I mostly agree. I thought they made him way too "Commando" in this. And when they were storming in to get Greer I kind of rolled my eyes. They are just straight up shooting up the President's mansion and taking out his guards and forces with relative ease. Also it was weird that he was ready to off the Venezuelan President but just a bit earlier he seemed apprehensive to shoot the guy who sold out Greer.

Yeah, I was wondering about some of those things you mentioned too. Jack Ryan has always been a bad ass in his own way, but not a Delta or Team guy kind of bad ass. Also, I’m hoping they’re setting up a return for Kathy in Season 3. She’s kind of an important part of in some of the Classic JR Clancy novels.

Yeah, I was wondering about some of those things you mentioned too. Jack Ryan has always been a bad ass in his own way, but not a Delta or Team guy kind of bad ass. Also, I’m hoping they’re setting up a return for Kathy in Season 3. She’s kind of an important part of in some of the Classic JR Clancy novels.

I haven't read much of the novels and most of my exposure is from the movies (good and bad), but I always got the gist of him like you described; he'll kick ass when needed but it's normally not his first or even second option if possible. Even in the show I know he's ex-Marine but they set up season 1 as a pretty laid back "I don't care to fight" guy; he even says he's "just an analyst". Now in Season 2 at the end he's busting in like freakin Seal Team Six.

Which is weird because earlier in the season they had better balance. When he went up against Schenkel in his hotel room he was getting bested pretty easily and had to use his quick thinking to get out of it. It's not like he started kicking ass in hand to hand combat.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I find myself hoping Jost (Arnold Vosloo) returns in season three.

Season two had a very “Clear and Present Danger” feel about it.

I enjoyed it, but also agree with some of the aforementioned reservations. Jack was much more surface-level-james-bond badass this season, which is still fun and entertaining, but I like the depth of his character in season 1.

What bothered me more was the story itself. A number of scenes that didn't make much sense.
Matice didn't need to separate from the rest of the crew when escaping the jungle. Felt more like they just didn't know where to take his character, so, time to off him.

The shooting up of the presidential palace just seemed Hollywood and the most implausible thing ever.

Oh, so the guy who gets paid to kill people needs a decoy? What a perfect opportunity to throw in a gay night out on the town.

It also felt like the chase for the shooter (Max) would go on throughout the season, and then it didn't. They gave us some backstory on the guy, and then ended it.

The car breaks down when pulling out of the driveway, works as perfect cover for Mike to blow up the turreted vehicle - takes 100+ bullets in the process - oh and then just starts right up and they drive off. I hate little things like this.

I did very much enjoy the twist with the Senator though. I initially thought the Philadelphia phone call mystery was going to be used as a segue into the plot of the 3rd season, but then they turned it around right at the end. Got me!

I enjoyed it, but also agree with some of the aforementioned reservations. Jack was much more surface-level-james-bond badass this season, which is still fun and entertaining, but I like the depth of his character in season 1.

What bothered me more was the story itself. A number of scenes that didn't make much sense.
Matice didn't need to separate from the rest of the crew when escaping the jungle. Felt more like they just didn't know where to take his character, so, time to off him.

The shooting up of the presidential palace just seemed Hollywood and the most implausible thing ever.

Oh, so the guy who gets paid to kill people needs a decoy? What a perfect opportunity to throw in a gay night out on the town.

It also felt like the chase for the shooter (Max) would go on throughout the season, and then it didn't. They gave us some backstory on the guy, and then ended it.

The car breaks down when pulling out of the driveway, works as perfect cover for Mike to blow up the turreted vehicle - takes 100+ bullets in the process - oh and then just starts right up and they drive off. I hate little things like this.

I did very much enjoy the twist with the Senator though. I initially thought the Philadelphia phone call mystery was going to be used as a segue into the plot of the 3rd season, but then they turned it around right at the end. Got me!

I agree with just about everything. Like you said, there wasn’t much depth to the character this season, I hope they get back to that the next season.

I don’t understand why they didn’t make Matice’s character John Clark from the novels. He basically played the exact same role.

Your points 2-5 was spot on . Just too much gratuitous, Hollywood crap. It’s like they got a huge bump in budget and decided they needed to blow a bunch of **** up. I can’t stand that stuff either.

Your last point was pretty good and one of the few ways they tied in A Clear and Present Danger to this season I think.

I still enjoyed it, but not to the level of season 1.

Reactions: Smokeytom
I agree with just about everything. Like you said, there wasn’t much depth to the character this season, I hope they get back to that the next season.

I don’t understand why they didn’t make Matice’s character John Clark from the novels. He basically played the exact same role.

Your points 2-5 was spot on . Just too much gratuitous, Hollywood crap. It’s like they got a huge bump in budget and decided they needed to blow a bunch of **** up. I can’t stand that stuff either.

Your last point was pretty good and one of the few ways they tied in A Clear and Present Danger to this season I think.

I still enjoyed it, but not to the level of season 1.
Have never read any of the books! Love the video games. I should check out some of the books for sure. Any suggestions?

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Have never read any of the books! Love the video games. I should check out some of the books for sure. Any suggestions?

I’m a big fan of the video games too. Some of the first novels are my favorites. Patriot Games is probably my favorite Jack Ryan novel overall, plus i really like the movie. I definitely haven’t read all of them by any stretch. Some of the more recent books with Jack Ryan Jr. have kind of been intertwined with the shows character. Some of those books are pretty good too.

Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite Clancy book though.

Reactions: Smokeytom

VN Store

Back