It feels good to be hated

Agreed. The game is hard enough without you adding bias to it by insulting the people responsible for making the calls during games.
I thought the ump yesterday was terrible. However upon further review he didn’t give either pitching staff the outside corner strike. Both teams were unhappy with it . Which tells me that he was at least calling it consistently on both sides. It’s about all you can ask for.

I thought the ump yesterday was terrible. However upon further review he didn’t give either pitching staff the outside corner strike. Both teams were unhappy with it . Which tells me that he was at least calling it consistently on both sides. It’s about all you can ask for.
you’re right, he was calling that consistent for both sides. I dont get too upset when it goes both ways like that. So much of officiating is human error and subjective. You’re gonna win some and lose some.

I just think players chirping or even dead-eyeing at an official or the other team takes away from the game. I don't mind a respectful question to the official like hey was that a strike because it was on the corner? But anything that can be seen as disrespect towards an official or an opponent drives me nuts. You can’t have a game without it these days.

Like Burke yesterday, what was the point? Other than to get his jab in. Wasnt the bomb big enough? he probably could have gotten away with it had he not said anything.

Let CTV, or Heup or Barnes for that matter, handle that part of it however they see fit and let the scoreboard do the talking. Just my $0.02

you’re right, he was calling that consistent for both sides. I dont get too upset when it goes both ways like that. So much of officiating is human error and subjective. You’re gonna win some and lose some.

I just think players chirping or even dead-eyeing at an official or the other team takes away from the game. I don't mind a respectful question to the official like hey was that a strike because it was on the corner? But anything that can be seen as disrespect towards an official or an opponent drives me nuts. You can’t have a game without it these days.

Like Burke yesterday, what was the point? Other than to get his jab in. Wasnt the bomb big enough? he probably could have gotten away with it had he not said anything.

Let CTV, or Heup or Barnes for that matter, handle that part of it however they see fit and let the scoreboard do the talking. Just my $0.02
It’s funny to watching an umpire that’s sets up on the inside corner of the catcher . They almost 100 % of the time never call the outside corner strike. 🤷‍♂️

Umpires have always had way too much authority. Baseball is the one sport where it has gotten out of control more than any other. I’ll be glad when a day comes where we don’t have to worry about them. They will be replaced by robots soon enough. No more arguing about balls and strikes. No more obvious missed calls where we have to painfully wait 5 minutes on a review which has a 50/50 chance of staying the wrong call because the review team doesn’t want to make the umpires look bad. What a glorious day it will be.

I’m not a big fan of the cockiness and in your face type baseball , I just don’t get how your 20 years old and need someone to mouth off or do something to motivate you to play hard or get locked in , it’s not just a Tennessee thing either it’s in every league in the country , I know I’m old school but it seems every game the umps are just looking for a reason to toss one of our players or coaches , the Gilbert flare up against Notre Dame cost us dearly with him and Anderson getting tossed , just play the game hard and smart , why if your Burke would you say something to the catcher with the ump 3 feet of him , I’m sure if there were scouts at the game they weren’t too thrilled either .

I think its a bit overblown.

Warnings got issued early on when Stark and the Illinois catcher got chirpy. Whole Tennessee dugout got HEATED when they started the quick pitch nonsense. Built up to Ensely and Burkes HRs.

Burke shouldn't have said anything, but 9 games out of ten that gets nipped by the ump and life goes on. But since the warnings were issued, Burke had no slack and got tossed. Honestly, their catcher was an old kid so I wouldn't be surprised if he shot Burke a look knowing he'd chirp right in front of the ump.

Pretty big learning opportunity/teaching moment that I think they can grow from. They haven't been an insanely chirpy team so far, not by a long shot. Now...they are definitely vocal and super into celebrating and interacting with each other, but if the other team gets their feelings hurt by that its on them.

Tennessee was pissed about the quick pitches not the strike zone.

im guessing it’s ar kansas fans? no one seemed to have a problem when FL bat flipped earlier in the year and the kid got ejected. also no one had a problem when white flipped the opposing team off in the cws last year.

Baseball has always been like this. I think there is just been a spotlight put on it more lately than previously. I will say that TN kids have a target on their back and are going to have to be more careful when it starts to matter how they approach things. I will say the biggest issue I have currently with players across the board is the walk celebrations. I am not saying that there are not times where you have a tough at bat and drawing the walk is a win. Although pimping a walk is getting a little ridiculous at this point. On the other hand if you hit one 400+ then you are fully welcome to pull your balls out and drag them down the baselines.

Both of our guys looked pretty frustrated after some outside corners were not called strikes.
Our hitters seem to have problems hitting off speed breaking pitches. However, when they are able to wait on those slow breaking balls, they often leave the field. We seem to hit fast balls very well. A breaking ball pitcher who can hit his pots, win a lot of games, even in the Majors.

Last edited:

I’m the opposite. If it’s tense, heated, and ultra competitive.. it makes for a better game. A lot more entertaining. I was a **** talker, so I’m probably biased. But it was always extra motivation, not a distraction.

I’m the opposite. If it’s tense, heated, and ultra competitive.. it makes for a better game. A lot more entertaining. I was a **** talker, so I’m probably biased. But it was always extra motivation, not a distraction.
I assume you mean to other players and not the officials. At least I hope that’s what you mean.

It can be all those things without being disrespectful or insulting. There’s a fine line that gets crossed too easily.

Reactions: Zues1
I’m not a big fan of the cockiness and in your face type baseball , I just don’t get how your 20 years old and need someone to mouth off or do something to motivate you to play hard or get locked in , it’s not just a Tennessee thing either it’s in every league in the country , I know I’m old school but it seems every game the umps are just looking for a reason to toss one of our players or coaches , the Gilbert flare up against Notre Dame cost us dearly with him and Anderson getting tossed , just play the game hard and smart , why if your Burke would you say something to the catcher with the ump 3 feet of him , I’m sure if there were scouts at the game they weren’t too thrilled either .
I agree, this team looks stacked and "could" have a big season.
Shut up and let your play do the talking.

VN Store

Back