Is this part of Haslams plan to maintain control?

I've enjoyed the discussion. Just don't think the Haslams are the problem with everything that has ever happened at UT. I don't claim to be an insider though.
The problem at UT has been organizational/administrative incompetence for years. The single biggest influencer on who the admin personnel at UT actually are is the Haslam family. They aren't the problem with "everything," but they are likely the single biggest contributors to it.

Probably put this guy out there so everyone will freak out and demand someone different. At that point they will present us with......the person they wanted all along. Everyone will feel they had a hand in thwarting the Haslams. Sounds familiar...

You're not going to find a Knox News-Sentinel article saying "the Haslam family runs UT." They aren't going to spell this stuff out because 1) it would be damaging to the powers that be and 2) there's no real way to prove any of it. Some of this is speculation, but speculation firmly grounded in evidence.

However, if you read some reporting, use some common sense, and connect a couple of dots, you can see at a high level what is going on. I mean, the "Haslam" name is prominently displayed on every other building on the UT campus.

@TN_Transplant I fear you are right that if Pruitt doesn't have a great year in 2020, they will try and drum up support to fire Pruitt (likely Fulmer too) and re-assert control. Fulmer is currently in control of the AD because of the coup that occurred after Currie was fired, but HoH is throwing its weight around and will influence who Phil's bosses are going to be (President and Chancellor). If they get figures in those positions who can be influenced/controlled by the Haslams, the dysfunction continues.
That "theory" is laughable. They want us to think that. Two sides of the same coin.

That "theory" is laughable. They want us to think that. Two sides of the same coin.
Who is "they?" If you think that isn't to a large degree what happens, I think you're pretty naive.

Of course there is another faction of boosters (Anderson, Thornton, etc.) who'd like to have control too. Is that what you mean?

Who is "they?" If you think that isn't to a large degree what happens, I think you're pretty naive.

Of course there is another faction of boosters (Anderson, Thornton, etc.) who'd like to have control too. Is that what you mean?
The Haslams. They put that stuff out there to drum up support for CJP and Fulmer. If you think for one second Fulmer got this gig without the blessing of the Haslams, you are being naive. The Haslams put him there.

Reactions: feathersax
The Haslams. They put that stuff out there to drum up support for CJP and Fulmer. If you think for one second Fulmer got this gig without the blessing of the Haslams, you are being naive. The Haslams put him there.

Quite the opposite, in fact. With the Schiano fiasco, Adnerson and Thornton contacted BoT members and did a semi-coup. This gave Davenport the backing to get rid of Currie and bring in Fulmer.

Since then, HoH has retooled the BoT to reassert control. The power struggle between boosters continues.

Reactions: GRN1926
if it meant getting back to nine ~ten wins seasons, ( guaranteed Sugar Bowl trip every year) then check yes!
I agree whomever can get the job done. I just saw him as : an instant loss to Georgia , Alabama and whatever western foe we play each year , then having us look like Missouri. Lot's of offense, no defense. I do not know if his teams are any good defensively and he is entertaining to watch at times. I guess what i should've said is he can drink Sarkisian under the table and would be out partying the night before the game. That probably wouldn't fly in knoxville for anybody other than coach majors

Quite the opposite, in fact. With the Schiano fiasco, Adnerson and Thornton contacted BoT members and did a semi-coup. This gave Davenport the backing to get rid of Currie and bring in Fulmer.

Since then, HoH has retooled the BoT to reassert control. The power struggle between boosters continues.
Fake news.

Because the Haslam boys have singlehandedly brought us to the low point we are in Tennessee Football. They wanted Fulmer gone, they wanted Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. They were the ones behind Currie, and us almost getting that #$&*@^% from Penn State (by way of Ohio State).

The Halsams came in and took power away from Thornton and Anderson. That's when all our problems started.

And your prove of this is where?

Bill Haslam, the governor, is scandal-free, you are correct. He is a member of the family but not directly involved all that much with UT.

Bill Haslam's dad (Big Jim) and brother (Jimmy) are intimately involved with the University and attempt to run it like their own personal fiefdom. They have a heavy hand in every major administrative personnel decision that gets made there, whether it be President, Chancellor, athletic director, or football coach. Impacting the hires at the top of the food chain impacts the hires as you go down the food chain. I wouldn't say they are dictators of the University but they have tremendous influence. When they become convinced of a particular course action, it requires the rest of the admin and boosters to become totally united to stopping it.
Not true. He is trying to privatize any and all state jobs in TN. A Nashville TV station found out he owned stocks in the company(JLL) that was awarded the contract without any bidding process.

pat·sy
ˈpatsē/
nounNORTH AMERICAN informal
a person who is easily taken advantage of, especially by being cheated or blamed for something.
Of course Currie was a patsy. Just who do you think he was a patsy of...it starts with an H, ends with an M, and rhymes with "Daslam."

If Fulmer had the blessing of the Haslams, he would have been hired instead of Currie. Most of our fanbase wanted Fulmer anyway, so what great luck for that Haslams...they are aligned with the fanbase anyway and don't have to convince anybody. Your logic doesn't make any sense.

Why exactly would the Haslams want Fulmer to be the AD? Fulmer is precisely the type of person they can't control because he has a history and reputation of his own at the school. He was brought to power by people other than them, meaning they can't effectively control him. That's why they push for the installment of people like Currie and Davenport. They don't want people there who have the ear of people other than them. Somebody like Fulmer is going to be influenced by a variety of viewpoints...his own, the opinions of the other boosters/admin people, and the Haslams. They don't like that.

Stop being obtuse and enlighten us all as to what is really going on, if you would.

They even attend mass at the same church. Probably at the end of the season, Fulmer will voluntarily step down to make way for another Haslam puppet to step in.

You just gave the prime reason why Jimmy wanted him to begin with.
He/she is being purposely obtuse, then blowing holes the size of the Grand Canyon in his/her own argument with statements like that.

Currie was a patsy...that's precisely why the Haslams wanted him there in the first place. They didn't need some grand plot to trick everyone into supporting their guy. Currie was their guy, and if they wanted Fulmer (which also makes no logical sense) they could have installed Fulmer right then. A sizeable portion of the fans and other boosters wanted Fulmer anyway.

He/she is being purposely obtuse, then blowing holes the size of the Grand Canyon in his/her own argument with statements like that.

Currie was a patsy...that's precisely why the Haslams wanted him there in the first place. They didn't need some grand plot to trick everyone into supporting their guy. Currie was their guy, and if they wanted Fulmer (which also makes no logical sense) they could have installed Fulmer right then anyway, because it is what a sizeable portion of the fans and other boosters wanted anyway.
Yep.

Seems to quickly forget Fulmer's name being in the pot from the beginning as AD with Blackburn.

A successful business man, in what way?

He simply runs a company that’s the result of a joint venture that includes the company his father started, not him. It was reported that the Pilot Flying J board was paying ex-staffers’ legal bills in a diesel fuel rebate scam. We can point to Haslam’s failures there....

Remember the reports of the company being billions of dollars in debt?

Haslam is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. The franchise was bad before he took over, only to get worse.

Don’t forget Jimmy Hyams’s article noting that Haslam, a member of the A.D. search committee, was reportedly the guy who pushed for John Currie.

Anyone who has buildings named after them (Haslam School of Business), it would be naive of anyone to say he doesn't have influence. He is a "major" football booster and notice the coaching debacles over the course of the last several years.

Little Jimmy is epitome of a guy that was born on third base and thinks he hit a home run.

A successful business man, in what way?

He simply runs a company that’s the result of a joint venture that includes the company his father started, not him. It was reported that the Pilot Flying J board was paying ex-staffers’ legal bills in a diesel fuel rebate scam. We can point to Haslam’s failures there....

Remember the reports of the company being billions of dollars in debt?

Haslam is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. The franchise was bad before he took over, only to get worse.

Don’t forget Jimmy Hyams’s article noting that Haslam, a member of the A.D. search committee, was reportedly the guy who pushed for John Currie.

Anyone who has buildings named after them (Haslam School of Business), it would be naive of anyone to say he doesn't have influence. He is a "major" football booster and notice the coaching debacles over the course of the last several years.
I was referring to Randy Boyd in this comment and not any Haslam.

My question is what academic qualifications does Randy Boyd have to run a major university? Any? This is just a political move and does nothing to improve the status of UT. The typical good ole boy network is alive and well.

I know Randy Boyd well. He is NO puppet of the Haslams'; or anyone for that matter. He is his own man. A very good choice, and would make an excellent long-term solution as well. Give him full support.

VN Store

Back