Is anyone else just....bored with it?

Last few years I don’t even expect to win the game. I watch to see how long they can stay in the game. After it’s out of reach I leave it on but get up and start doing other things. Tired of the disappointment in what is supposed to be enjoyable pastime.

Reactions: solivols and tbh
A teams "personality" is a direct reflection of the Head Coach. Unfortunately, CJP is about as dynamic as a stump. When he shows ANY positive emotion towards his football team will be the first time. I'm sure he's a good dude, knows football, etc. but he's just plain boring as ****.

You really don't think he has shown any positive emotions towards this team ?

well, that's kind of the thing isn't it?

does it really matter how ordered your house is compared to Bama?

what they've been doing, for as long as they've been doing it, is so far at the other end of hte spectrum from everything else, it's literally not worth the effort to compare them to anyone else.....i mean sure, year to year, you look at match ups or whatever, but over the time line they've been doing this....

it's just ridiculous.

point being, you could be really, really good, and have your house in order, and go 9-3, 10-2 or 11-1....a lot....and still basically pale in comparison, especially if you're in the same conference or division as them. that's why Les Miles got fired. LSU didn't suck....they were winning. they recruited at a high level. but their margin for error was so small b/c of the Bama game. if you lose to aTm or Auburn or GA, you're basically done. 10-2 and you're out. 11-1 and you could be out. but 8-4 looks flat awful compared to Bama and on paper says you're light years away from being able to compete with them. when in reality, you're probably on par, or better than most of hte other teams in the conference.

i do think the recent coaching changes will help long term. Smart at GA obviously is on the right track. you'd think aTm and Jimbo will get it together. even Gus has beaten Bama and GA recently. if you can get LSU, FL, and TN kinda back in the fold, you at least are making the road a little more difficult for them.

right now, they're not even being challenged.
Excellent post. Many good points made.

The Bama Borg is like nothing I've ever seen in amateur sports. My cynicism says there is a lot of dirty dealing going on down there. My other side says Saban is just THAT good. Let's face facts; he is the best HC in the history of the college game. Difficult for everyone else in the SEC because we all want what Bama has.

The Bama Borg is like nothing I've ever seen in amateur sports. My cynicism says there is a lot of dirty dealing going on down there. My other side says Saban is just THAT good. Let's face facts; he is the best HC in the history of the college game. Difficult for everyone else in the SEC because we all want what Bama has.

You didn't live through the John Wooden UCLA dominance did you?

Reactions: Ashevillevol

he he, it's probably a bit of both...lol.

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.

I agree with the sentiment. Last season and this season are the most 'boring' teams we have fielded in my memory. Even though Dooley's first year or Butch's first year the teams were horrible yet they were fun to watch. This team may beat those teams but still plays a boring brand of football.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone right now that can play within 14 points of them. That's scanning the nation for a team, can't find one. I do think in the coming years it will gradually get tougher for them and that's a good thing. Maybe he retires in 5 years or so. He's has a formula no one else has. Assistants come and go and they don't skip a beat.

Kinda like the Bill Belichick model.

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.

Allot depends on the color of paint, don't you think?

1539272425523.gif

Well OP, the best thing you can do is simply quit watching the Vols and quit starting threads that serve no useful purpose to better the Vols football program. The only thing threads like this does is create division and show your ignorance with regards to what product is actually being put on the field. On the other hand, you could be a troll who is trying to start more division during bad times.

It's one thing to point out "problem areas" on the team (like the offensive line) but to call the entire program boring is way beyond your ability to evaluate an entire program. the old saying "if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all" is wise advice in this situation. Again, as a fan, tell me what USEFUL purpose do you have to start a thread like this? Good grief!

A teams "personality" is a direct reflection of the Head Coach. Unfortunately, CJP is about as dynamic as a stump. When he shows ANY positive emotion towards his football team will be the first time. I'm sure he's a good dude, knows football, etc. but he's just plain boring as ****.
If he turns out to be a Bill Belichick clone would you be ok with that?

Practice isn't very entertaining to watch. And this entire season has been like one long, extended practice. It will keep being that until Pruitt starts seeing what he's looking for and we begin to win games. Once that happens, the games will start to feel like games again.

In retrospect, this shouldn't really come as a surprise to any of us.

Would you prefer some clown running around with a megaphone yelling at everyone, and filling the player's heads with a bunch of idioic cliches? Because we've already tried that.

I I think A&M has a chance to bring Bama back to earth, after Tua is gone. By then Jimbo should have them at full strength. Saban will have passed the Bear, so 2021 or so. Until then, as long as Tua is healthy, no one is beating them. Sucks. I asked a true Bammer, "so is it boring watching Bama thus year?" He said that for the first time, he isn't sweating missing a game." I am the same sith TN, but for obviously different reasons.

A teams "personality" is a direct reflection of the Head Coach.

Oh really? I see a pretty fired up coach on the sideline.

What do you say about Saban's personality's reflection of his team? Old? Stodgy? How about putting up 300yds passing in the first half of most games.

I understand what you are saying, just not buying what your selling with that statement.

I somewhat agree, OP. The UT games are boring with moments of elation sprinkled few and far between. Used to be the opposite.
I also mentioned in another thread last week that college football overall is boring too. Year after year of Bama, Clemson, tOSU has taken much of the drama out of the weekly contests.
Plenty of games on every week that don't involve those teams.

This is the first year since I've been watching the vols (I'm 31) that I haven't watched a full game start to finish yet this season. In fact, I've only watched the first half of the UF game and most of the ETSU game. I've also turned down free tickets to attend a game (UF) which ended up being a good decision. Say whatever you want, I don't care, I just can't bring myself to get excited about UT football this year. I have however watched other games, for instance Ohio St vs Penn St was a good game, as was Texas vs Oklahoma.

Reactions: onevol74
Well OP, the best thing you can do is simply quit watching the Vols and quit starting threads that serve no useful purpose to better the Vols football program. The only thing threads like this does is create division and show your ignorance with regards to what product is actually being put on the field. On the other hand, you could be a troll who is trying to start more division during bad times.

It's one thing to point out "problem areas" on the team (like the offensive line) but to call the entire program boring is way beyond your ability to evaluate an entire program. the old saying "if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all" is wise advice in this situation. Again, as a fan, tell me what USEFUL purpose do you have to start a thread like this? Good grief!

By virtue of this super-useful post alone, I'm sure we'll jump up a spot or two in the recruiting rankings. Thanks for doing your part to better the Vols football program.

It's a discussion forum, not a cheerleading camp. There are bound to be opposing views ranging across the spectrum from folks teetering on the edge of apathy (but not quite there yet) up through the 'true believers' who vehemently feel one way or another about the current state of things.

I wouldn't call it "bored", but let's just say there isn't a ton of passion anymore. I used to get upset that we lost, and I'll be the first to admit sometimes I let it affect me too much. But now I'm 100% apathetic towards losing. If we lose, then I just kind of shrug and move on to the next game to watch.

Wasting time on Saturdays these last few years has gotten old. Used to, I would schedule my weekends around the Vols games. Now, if I have nothing else to do - maybe. I'll check a few minutes of the game here and there. Typically there are two scenarios - UT is winning big b/c they're playing a HS team....or....UT is losing (or about to lose big) b/c they're playing a worthwhile opponent. A few minutes is all you need.

VN Store

Back