Interesting Question

Yes, but they were really quiet about it.

Good question on an interesting subject in the OP, though!
It must've been a hell of an experience to be at the first game that the crowd got involved on defense like that

Reactions: tbh
Does anyone remember when it became a custom to make noise while the other team had the ball. The reason I ask this is because last night I was watching the 1982 Tennessee Alabama streak breaking game. Something that I found weird was that our crowd seemed very quiet when Bama had the ball, did it just seem this way because the video quality wasn't very good? Or was crowd noise to help the defense not a thing yet? I also read that referees in the NFL could stop games in the 1980s do to excessive noise. Did the SEC maybe have a similar rule on the books? I'd love to here from you guys who were around in the 1970's and 1980's to try to get a feeling for what it was like. The history of Neyland stadium and fan culture has always fascinated me.

was at the game, 13 years old. That stadium was loud, you could feel the noise along with the stands shaking.

Reactions: lukeneyland
They didn't produce the game for television back then nearly as well as they do now. Fewer cameras, far fewer field mics, etc.

VN Store

Back