I seem to be the only one concerned about Guards

NighthawkVol

Does the fact that we only have 3 real Guards on this team not concern anyone else? Is Jalen Johnson a legit 4th Guard?

Reactions: RollerVol
It's a legit concern. If Bone or Turner go down with an injury we'll be very thin.

I am not worried about SG. We’ve got plenty of guys that can play that spot.

PG is the real concern. Bone is all we have.

I’m interested to see how we handle it when he is off the floor. In the NBA there are plenty of offensive groups that run without a true PG. Maybe we mimic that style.

Reactions: RollerVol

I’m interested to see how we handle it when he is off the floor. In the NBA there are plenty of offensive groups that run without a true PG. Maybe we mimic that style.
This is why Anfernee Simons was so important. The talent was obvious, but the depth he would have provided us at PG was just as important. It also highlights the seemingly unnoticed departure of James Daniel and the defection of Khwan Fore.

Assume Turner slides over when Bone is not on the floor.

Has there been any feedback on how Johnson has progressed as a Guard this offseason?

While Bone is the only true PG, Turner can play PG well and Bowden will be the 3rd option (if needed). I’m sure we will see some Bowden PG play this season.

Still a big concern only having 1 true PG.

Reactions: Pacer92
While Bone is the only true PG, Turner can play PG well and Bowden will be the 3rd option (if needed). I’m sure we will see some Bowden PG play this season.

Still a big concern only having 1 true PG.

As for SG, we should be fine:
Turner
Bowden
Schofield
Johnson

I know Schofied and Johnson fit more into the SF slot, but they can move up to the SG slot if needed.

And there is always the chance that Bone just plays a lot of minutes.

Richardson played 36 mpg his senior season at PG for instance.

It is definitely the biggest concern surrounding this team, an injury to Bone and this season likely goes different than expected. The hope is Bone can play 30-32mpg and stay healthy and that Turner or Bowden can effectively play those other 8-10mpg at PG.

I have absolutely no concerns on the offensive end. Haven't seen Burns yet, but EVERYBODY else is a very good ball handler. Walker and Kent might look like they wouldn't be, but they are very good. Watch the UNC game 2 years ago in Chapel Hill and notice how well Williams and Fulkerson were passing and catching. Fulkerson took a step back last year, but that's to be expected after rebuilding his right wrist.

Obviously Barnes has placed a premium on recruiting guys with good handles across the board. Exception being Alexander, but he was a project and he was really improved by his junior year last year. He fumbled the ball a lot as a freshman and sophomore. Not so much last year. Even the recruits that have moved on were very competent with the ball in their hands. Kasongo, in the few minutes that we saw, was catching the ball well down low. Phillips spent some time running the offense iirc. Parker was a guard.

My biggest concern without Bone or Turner on the court would be: who would guard a quick jitter bug point guard? Answer is, hope that we don't see many that are great shooters and drop back into a zone D.

what, me worry…:D...Coach Barnes can handle it...:cool:

PS. actually, don't won't to think about injuries...anywhere...:rolleyes:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: NCVOL327
Agree 100% with RollerVol, we have a coach and a team of players who have responded to Barnes.

You know you can't help snickering when someone starts with --

"I seem to be the only one ... ".

Chance Hall and Kingston Harris are working out at RG this week. Locklear, got hurt in Georgia game.

I almost want to put Trey Smith back at Guard, just so we can maul some people up the middle.

Sorry, I thought this was a Football thread. If it was then Guard play would be an obvious concern.

Last edited:
Does the fact that we only have 3 real Guards on this team not concern anyone else? Is Jalen Johnson a legit 4th Guard?
Huge concern. The debacle with the grad transfer could bite them in the butt. Going to put a lot of pressure on Bone and Turner. Any injury could be season changing

Cuonzo Martin never wanted to play a true point guard in his system, and it was excruciating to watch his team on the offensive side of the ball.

The thing about offense is that it can be run without a true PG. We often spread our offense on the perimeter and we rely on many players to make important passes in and out of the lower block.

Barnes emphasizes good passes and good awareness, which is evident across the board.

Reactions: Special Ed
The thing about offense is that it can be run without a true PG. We often spread our offense on the perimeter and we rely on many players to make important passes in and out of the lower block.

Barnes emphasizes good passes and good awareness, which is evident across the board.
Getting the ball down the court to get to our offense would be my concern.

Getting the ball down the court to get to our offense would be my concern.
Against pressure, I agree. Sometimes we had Bowden/Schofield/Turner bring it down. It’ll be interesting to see who stepped up to the plate this offseason. Jalen Johnson could be a darkhorse guard.

Against pressure, I agree. Sometimes we had Bowden/Schofield/Turner bring it down. It’ll be interesting to see who stepped up to the plate this offseason. Jalen Johnson could be a darkhorse guard.

Bone & Daniels combined to average 42mpg, and both primarily played PG so it was very rare anyone was handling PG duties other than those 2. The best scenario for this team would be that Bone has taken another step forward and can give a good 30mpg each night leaving Turner or Bowden only 10 or so minutes at PG.

Turner I trust to be able to at least hold it down here and there. But if we need Bowden to run it we’re in trouble. Imo

He just needs to focus on knocking down jumpers and d’ing up.

Man, u can't call yourself GregAmsler and have an avatar of Tony Robinson on SI. I know u can find a pic of Amsler or at least a pic of some dude running from KPD after he wrecked his car driving drunk. Kinda kidding, but I did love Amsler

Turner I trust to be able to at least hold it down here and there. But if we need Bowden to run it we’re in trouble. Imo

He just needs to focus on knocking down jumpers and d’ing up.
Turner flashes greatness at times. I like him at the point. I think the evolution of his game will be a big factor in how far we go.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back