I need and want to say this...

I wanted him. I believed he would be the best option and would light a fire in recruiting, put us on the map INSTANTLY and every 5* recruit would want to come play for him. Surely he hadnā€™t forgotten how to coach and his passion to teach, love for the game and ability to bring NFL coaches with him would make him an instant hit.

I believed. The dots connected perfectly and in the age of social media, itā€™s easy for information to flow easier than before. I still believe it was going to happen and Currie even lied to him. (I donā€™t want to argue about that so please donā€™t read into this post in that regard.)

However, all of that being said, Iā€™m glad Gruden isnā€™t our coach. He looks lost on the sideline and has made 2 of the worst decisions ever by a head coach.

He may pan out in the long run for the Raiders but he looks awful to the point I wonder if he regrets going back to the sideline.

Anyway, as an original Grudenite, Iā€™ll always wonder what he wouldā€™ve done at TN a few years ago but that ship has sailed and Iā€™m happy heā€™s in Oakland and not in Knoxville.
Admission of a problem is the first step in recovery.....

Sorry but Raider haters don't get the context here. He signed a TEN YEAR CONTRACT. TEN!!! Dude is playing the looong game, setting things up (roster, salary cap, drafting) for the long run. These are things, as cfb fans, we don't have to account for. But he knows he has 10 years and is setting things up for 3-4 years down the road.

I wanted him. I believed he would be the best option and would light a fire in recruiting, put us on the map INSTANTLY and every 5* recruit would want to come play for him. Surely he hadnā€™t forgotten how to coach and his passion to teach, love for the game and ability to bring NFL coaches with him would make him an instant hit.

I believed. The dots connected perfectly and in the age of social media, itā€™s easy for information to flow easier than before. I still believe it was going to happen and Currie even lied to him. (I donā€™t want to argue about that so please donā€™t read into this post in that regard.)

However, all of that being said, Iā€™m glad Gruden isnā€™t our coach. He looks lost on the sideline and has made 2 of the worst decisions ever by a head coach.

He may pan out in the long run for the Raiders but he looks awful to the point I wonder if he regrets going back to the sideline.

Anyway, as an original Grudenite, Iā€™ll always wonder what he wouldā€™ve done at TN a few years ago but that ship has sailed and Iā€™m happy heā€™s in Oakland and not in Knoxville.
Uh oh; you wait till the Beaver sees this!!!

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I knew Gruden was a fun story. Period.
there are quite a few examples that college and the NFL are different beasts. Think Saban and Charlie Weiss.

If only they did. šŸ˜
Good or Bad, we live in a time of Fake News and Bama Sucks is a perfect example.
They are one of the best or the best Bama team I have witnessed since I started watching since the beginning of Bears arrival.

Soon. Just working out the final numbers. I even hear a realtor is involved.......

Reactions: ultimateUT
I can not figure out what is so great about Gruden that makes people think that every 5* recruit would want to play for him. I don't believe this for a second. Gruden is not that good of a coach...ā€¦.never was and never will be.
Most recruits knew who he was and associated him with the NFL. Wouldā€™ve relanded Mays and Martinez imo...and prolly more playing ready types. What heā€™d do with that talent is unknown but heā€™s not illiterate with Xā€™s and Oā€™s...quite the opposite. I think his style works better at the college level...but thatā€™s untested.

OP, tickled at least one of you folks came to their senses. Gruden was never the answer for what has plagued The Hill during this football HC drought we have weathered. He rode Dungy's coattails for one stellar season at Tampa for a Superbowl. He was meh before and meh since including this season.

Yeah the wins over Etsu, utep and Auburn give me comfort that the Vols got the right guy

FYI, Titans kicker career stat on onside kicks: 1-21.

Nick Saban sucked in the NFL but is miles better than anyone in college football.

I wanted Gruden but knew it was very unlikely heā€™d walk into the dumpster fire that the Administration put us in.

Grudenā€™s style is a better fit in college.

Gruden is overrated. I am beginning to think the NFL has passed him up. I for one am glad he didnt come here. Him saying we need to find a pass rush after getting rid of Kahlil Mack should tell you what you need to know.

Gruden is overrated. I am beginning to think the NFL has passed him up. I for one am glad he didnt come here. Him saying we need to find a pass rush after getting rid of Kahlil Mack should tell you what you need to know.

Mack wants huge money. They saved the $ and got 2 1st rounders from Bears, right? Sucks for this yr but, long term, they won that battle. They got big money to sign free agent and 2studs coming. Gruden has 5 yr deal at least. Year 1isnt going to kill him.

VN Store

Back