How should D1 be structured?

BigOrangeLoyalist

Just curious as to how you feel D1 football should run.

In MY opinion, there are 129 teams.. divide them into 4 subdivisions regardless of region. 32, 32, 32, and 33- A, B, C, and D. You start in the division based on the previous year's rank. For instance, Tennessee finished 4-8, so likely C division. Each team from each division plays a random draw 3 teams from each division per year. Win vs A = 4 points, B = 3 points, etc. At the conclusion of the year, the top 6 point cumulative teams are in the playoffs, plus the B and C division winner at large bids. The bottom, what, 4? 6? teams of each division move down while the top in each div move up (for the following season). Split H/A games between the A/B 6 games and C/D 6 games, best as possible.

Seems to be the most even possible scheduling for the entire D1, though initial rankings would be subjective.

You will never get even scheduling across D1. But even if you could, you seriously expect the NCAA to make it satisfactory?

I feel we are lucky at this point that the playoff system is working as well as it is. In a few years, it might be 8 teams instead of 4. But expecting a system that is fair to 129 teams? A nice fantasy, but not much more. University leaders, donors, and ADs do not want to relinquish control of scheduling. And doing it regardless of region puts a hardship on fans who travel. If your intention is to kill interest in football so soccer can replace it, you are on the right track.

IMO, bad idea.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point give me another playoff. The FCS has found their way long ago. The power 5 have recently joined the club. That leaves the midtier teams to get their act together and have a playoff. They can actually stop self-proclaiming themselves something they can earn on the field. And have real trophies too.

This will also eliminate some of these mind-numbing bowl games and jazz up the postseason so that even the casual football fan can take a rooting interesting. Come on midtier know your place and have some fun in the playoffs.

At this point give me another playoff. The FCS has found their way long ago. The power 5 have recently joined the club. That leaves the midtier teams to get their act together and have a playoff. They can actually stop self-proclaiming themselves something they can earn on the field. And have real trophies too.

This will also eliminate some of these mind-numbing bowl games and jazz up the postseason so that even the casual football fan can take a rooting interesting. Come on midtier know your place and have some fun in the playoffs.

I agree. College basketball had the NIT and the CBI. The Sunbelt, MAC, Conference USA and Mountain West could put on a heck of a show in a 4 team playoff.

Assuming that a few teams would choose to drop down to a lower level rather than compete, I would divide the teams into 4 geographic regions; north, south, east, and west. Each region would consist of 28 teams, divided into two 14 team divisions. Every team would play a 13 game schedule against the other teams in their division. The division winners would play for the regional championship, with the winners advancing to the CFP. The bowls could still exist as consolation prizes. I actually worked this up before the start of last season. I think it's on my computer at work. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Assuming that a few teams would choose to drop down to a lower level rather than compete, I would divide the teams into 4 geographic regions; north, south, east, and west. Each region would consist of 28 teams, divided into two 14 team divisions. Every team would play a 13 game schedule against the other teams in their division. The division winners would play for the regional championship, with the winners advancing to the CFP. The bowls could still exist as consolation prizes. I actually worked this up before the start of last season. I think it's on my computer at work. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Would divisional membership rotate? Cuz I'm not really sold on playing the same 13 teams every year.

I say you break apart the Big 12, it is withering on the vine anyway and create 4 mega conferences. The Northwest, Southwest, Big ten and Southeast. Half of the ACC goes to the Big 10, half to the SEC. Half of the Big 12 goes to the Northwest, Half to the Southwest. Conference champions go to the playoffs.

2 divisions, 4 conferences in the top division. 40 teams vie for the top 3 spots in their respective conferences. 12 teams go to the playoff. Bottom 12 teams get relegated to the 2nd division. Top 12 teams from the 2nd division get promoted.

Interesting subject.

Quick question: Are you excited about the East Tennessee game next season?

My son spent months working on a spreadsheet with all this stuff worked out. Paired it down to 80 teams, kept traditional rivalry's , had a better playoff system etc. It got rid of the games like ETSU.

I'm not kidding when I say it was genius.

Son of a gun if he didn't figure out that Roy Kramer lives close to Knoxville. He set up an appointment and was invited to his house to present it. Roy actually kept him there for 3 hours and they talked the ends and outs of it.

Bottom line, TV money is what drives it all. NBC is content with just Notre Dame games, and none have the bandwidth (except ESPN) to change.

On the other hand, (Kramer said this) TV is evolving in ways never dreamed of. Who knows, HULU, YouTube, Amazon etc may render cable and satellite obsolete in as soon as 5 years.

For the time being, we are stuck with what we got.

There are 11 conferences in D-1 if you count the independents. Take the conference winner and 1 at large team, seed them 1-12 and have a playoff. Yes, it adds up to 4 games to a team's schedule, but then everybody could just shut up and win your dang conference.
12-team-seeded-tourney-bracket.gif

There are 11 conferences in D-1 if you count the independents. Take the conference winner and 1 at large team, seed them 1-12 and have a playoff. Yes, it adds up to 4 games to a team's schedule, but then everybody could just shut up and win your dang conference.
12-team-seeded-tourney-bracket.gif

I'm really not interested in a playoff that includes the Sun Belt, MAC, or CUSA. It's a waste of everyone's time.

VN Store

Back