Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

20171206_092858.jpg
Mid December 2017..I can't remember what the name of this park outside Scottsdale is now, my wifes family still calls it by it's old non-PC name..Squaw Peak...I didn't make it very far up.the hill, I had just gotten off a flight from Louisville to Pheonix and just wanted to walk around a little.

Reactions: malinoisvol
On St George Island in Florida you can bike about 6 Miles to the end of the island that is a protected wildlife preserve. I recommend it if you ever get the chance C6B93901-12ED-4CF5-A385-A5612D426375.jpegD05F50EF-1AEB-498D-B979-8B4C556A0410.jpegCC4B3B6E-E60A-4E53-8030-7B8B1054F362.jpeg3A6C85C3-623C-44DA-B370-6EB903572B6A.jpeg

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
How is the drive from Gatlinburg to Bryson City? Nice mountain trips with lots to see? Or white knuckle steering as i ride a cliff for an hour?

Sad question, i know but getting to Yosemite from San Fran almost killed me. Not looking for stress this week.

How is the drive from Gatlinburg to Bryson City? Nice mountain trips with lots to see? Or white knuckle steering as i ride a cliff for an hour?

Sad question, i know but getting to Yosemite from San Fran almost killed me. Not looking for stress this week.

Done both Gatlinburg to Bryson city is easy and has great views, check out Clingmans dome. Try to find the road to nowhere near Bryson city. If time permits check out the Nantahala Outdoor Center about 20 miles south on highway 28.

Reactions: VOLNPA
How did you get a ticket?
2 friends and I each applied. I put any available day for the season (Memorial to Labor Day), and they put a bunch of different weekends. I got a random Wednesday in June, one person got nothing, and one person got Saturday of Labor Day. So we all went under that person's entry. Anyways, I think the lottery is around March, and apparently pretty easy to get if you're flexible. Amazing hike.

Reactions: Rishvol
Also I should add that they do 75 or so walk up permits daily in addition to the 250 for each day via the lottery.

Great picture, deceiving though, doesn't look like you are at the top of anything!
Unfortunately you are right. The first picture is my reaction upon seeing Half Dome for the first time.. and then realizing that's what we were planning to climb. At the end of a 5,000 ft climb, it's a pretty intimidating sight. Here is me at the top of the cables where it starts to flatten out. A majority of the 500 ft climb up the cables is at a 50 degree incline on solid granite rock face. 40901956_10156917431563217_8719381642126295040_n.jpg

Unfortunately you are right. The first picture is my reaction upon seeing Half Dome for the first time.. and then realizing that's what we were planning to climb. At the end of a 5,000 ft climb, it's a pretty intimidating sight. Here is me at the top of the cables where it starts to flatten out. A majority of the 500 ft climb up the cables is at a 50 degree incline on solid granite rock face. View attachment 167105
Wow that is crazy, had no idea! Not sure I could do that since I struggled with breathing hiking macchu Picchu. It is beautiful!

VN Store

Back