Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

I miss my mountains up there. Have you been to chain rock at pine mountain state park in pineville?
Oh yeah of course I have...but all my pics of PMSP hikes are on my old phone tgat I had up till late summer last year. I may take the memory card out of it and put it in this phone just to post some of my old pics. The only good local hikes I haven't done yet are Bad Branch falls over near Whitesburg, Devils bathtub just over in Virginia, and Eagle falls at Cumberland falls SP.

Reactions: joevol33
We may be going in search of the mushroom rock tomorrow. The trail starts at a place called suck creek.

So we’ll see.

Sooo...next month we are doing 4 days in Sieverville. We are getting a cabin and plan to do some hiking. My wife is 9 months removed from kidney surgery so we are Looking for recommendations for easy/mid level hikes with a payoff. I.e. a waterfall, a lake or an awesome view. I think she could handle 3 to 4 hour hikes if they aren't too grueling. We've done some web research but wanted to ask folks who have actually done these hikes. We'd even be cool with an area with a bunch of cool lookouts and/or short hikes. She LOVES creeks and waterfalls. Any recommendations?

Sooo...next month we are doing 4 days in Sieverville. We are getting a cabin and plan to do some hiking. My wife is 9 months removed from kidney surgery so we are Looking for recommendations for easy/mid level hikes with a payoff. I.e. a waterfall, a lake or an awesome view. I think she could handle 3 to 4 hour hikes if they aren't too grueling. We've done some web research but wanted to ask folks who have actually done these hikes. We'd even be cool with an area with a bunch of cool lookouts and/or short hikes. She LOVES creeks and waterfalls. Any recommendations?
Little River and middle prong are beside a river the whole time. Both of those you can go as far as you like then turn back. Little River also had the remains of elkmont. Laurel Falls is a short hike but also very popular for that reason. Just a drive through Cades Cove is good.

You should find the story behind suck creeks name.

Maybe it just sucked as creeks go.

Everybody always said, “This creek sucks.” And then it was, “Let’s go down to the sucky creek.” And eventually everyone just called it Suck Creek.

I bet the real story isn’t as satisfying.

Reactions: joevol33
Maybe it just sucked as creeks go.

Everybody always said, “This creek sucks.” And then it was, “Let’s go down to the sucky creek.” And eventually everyone just called it Suck Creek.

I bet the real story isn’t as satisfying.
Probably named after someone who sucked

Reactions: pismonque
Ok.
Fear of afternoon storms kept us close to home. So the search for the mushroom rock will have to wait. Did some research and found out suck creek is named for a place where the creek dumps into the Tennessee river. In heavy rains it created a rapid or “suck” that would destroy and sink boats.
Instead we went to greenway farms in Chattanooga. It’s only a one but still very cool that something like this exists in the middle of the city. Tennessee is a special place.

Ok.
Fear of afternoon storms kept us close to home. So the search for the mushroom rock will have to wait. Did some research and found out suck creek is named for a place where the creek dumps into the Tennessee river. In heavy rains it created a rapid or “suck” that would destroy and sink boats.
Instead we went to greenway farms in Chattanooga. It’s only a one but still very cool that something like this exists in the middle of the city. Tennessee is a special place.

Holy crap! When I read that about Suck Creek I remembered I had looked that up one time back when I used to live in Chatt. Totally forgot about that. My memory sucks like a creek.

The three falls loop trail starting at the Deep Creek campground would be perfect for you I think.

Reactions: VOLNPA
What all did you get to do? I want to go back and do the Mills/black Lake trail, and the Dream/Emerald lake trail someday before I fall completely apart.

What all did you get to do? I want to go back and do the Mills/black Lake trail, and the Dream/Emerald lake trail someday before I fall completely apart.

We did Gem Lake one day. We started out at the Upper Beaver Meadows trailhead and just wandered through some different trails another day. We drove from Estes Park over to Grand Lake and spent a day there.

Then we stayed a couple days in Boulder and found some really nice hikes in that area. My favorite hike of the trip was a little outside of Nederland called Lost Lake. The last day we hiked to the top of Green Mountain just outside of Boulder.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

VN Store

Back