High school football rules discussion

What is the criteria for a player being ejected? I was at this game Friday night and this looks pretty blatant to me.

https://footballscoop.com/news/is-this-another-case-of-a-high-school-player-targeting-a-referee/
I agree it looks blatant. It is 15 yards and disqualification for intentionally contacting a game official.

Question is, the back judge may have saw this and knew it was intentional. At the same time nobody may have saw it to deem it intentional. Who would have necessarily saw it to know it was intentional?

“SECTION 4*ILLEGAL PERSONAL CONTACT

ART. 1*. . . No player or nonplayer shall fight.

ART. 2*. . . No player or nonplayer shall intentionally contact a game official.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Bob Colgate. “2014 NFHS Football Rules Book.” NFHS. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/mhUz0.l

“Arts. 1, 2, 3j) – (S38-47) – 15 yards and disqualification.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Bob Colgate. “2014 NFHS Football Rules Book.” NFHS. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/mhUz0.l

According to the local news the TSSAA is saying the player will not be suspended. They interviewed the official and he said the player came to him on the previous play and said "You're in my way". They are supposed to have a representative from the TSSAA on the 6:00 news to explain the decision. I'm curious to hear why.

According to the local news the TSSAA is saying the player will not be suspended. They interviewed the official and he said the player came to him on the previous play and said "You're in my way". They are supposed to have a representative from the TSSAA on the 6:00 news to explain the decision. I'm curious to hear why.

Would be curious to hear.

The TSSAA is apparently saying it wasn't intentional. It sure looks intentional to me, but ok.

Glencliff High School Student Allowed To Play After Hitting Field Umpire - Story

I don't think the initial contact was intentional - just based on where his eyes were when he started moving to his left. However, he certainly didn't pull up and extended his hands when he made contact.

Looks like one of those instances where he didn't mean to do it, but since he was making contact he figured he would make the most of it and send a message to get out of my way :)

I'm curious why college and the high school doesn't adopt the NFL position and move him behind the offense. Seems like that would be much safer and prevent collisions that impact plays. I played receiver and would use him to get open on some plays. He always set a good pick for me.

Is it legal for a WR to crack back block a DE or OLB in the back given that the DE or OLB has crossed the line of scrimmage and is attempting to turn the play back inside? Many times this crack back block occurs in the back of the DE or OLB.

Is it legal for a WR to crack back block a DE or OLB in the back given that the DE or OLB has crossed the line of scrimmage and is attempting to turn the play back inside? Many times this crack back block occurs in the back of the DE or OLB.

No. The free blocking zone doesn't apply outside of the tackle box.

The only place you hit in the back is in the free blocking zone. The FBZ basically only applies to linemen and is only available while the ball is in the zone.

The only place you hit in the back is in the free blocking zone. The FBZ basically only applies to linemen and is only available while the ball is in the zone.

Some of you refs are crazy about the whole ball leaving thing. If my kid immediately cuts a player on the snap of the ball, and it's a shotgun snap, I'm not convinced that the ball has left before the block takes place. I'm even less convinced that an official can tell the ball is outside of the zone before the block was made.

Well this happened to my team in high school playing against a wing T offense. In this offense I'm pretty sure the ball never leaves the "zone". Mostly this play occurred when the wing T offense ran what we called a "double handoff" which is really a reverse to the wing position player. On the reverse the WR would crack back on our DE or OLB. We were trying to defend this play by keeping contain with our DE or OLB and he would make sure to keep the reverse man contained to the inside.

However the team we played for 4 years did the same thing with the WR crack back and it might have been called once or twice in that time frame and I'm not even sure that was what they were calling on those penalties. I just assumed it was legal since it was never enforced.

Some of you refs are crazy about the whole ball leaving thing. If my kid immediately cuts a player on the snap of the ball, and it's a shotgun snap, I'm not convinced that the ball has left before the block takes place. I'm even less convinced that an official can tell the ball is outside of the zone before the block was made.
Agreed, cut immediately without delay and we're good. Delay and we're not good.

Well this happened to my team in high school playing against a wing T offense. In this offense I'm pretty sure the ball never leaves the "zone". Mostly this play occurred when the wing T offense ran what we called a "double handoff" which is really a reverse to the wing position player. On the reverse the WR would crack back on our DE or OLB. We were trying to defend this play by keeping contain with our DE or OLB and he would make sure to keep the reverse man contained to the inside.

However the team we played for 4 years did the same thing with the WR crack back and it might have been called once or twice in that time frame and I'm not even sure that was what they were calling on those penalties. I just assumed it was legal since it was never enforced.
was the block in the back on the crack-back? If the end turns towards the block at the last second, then it's legal. Also, the wing official may not see it. If the play is a sweep coming towards him, there are lots of other things he may be watching. He is responsible for that block, but has to be looking there to call it. Very often missed. It's easier to catch in a 7 man crew, as he has help from the deep official on his side, but still can be over-looked.

was the block in the back on the crack-back? If the end turns towards the block at the last second, then it's legal. Also, the wing official may not see it. If the play is a sweep coming towards him, there are lots of other things he may be watching. He is responsible for that block, but has to be looking there to call it. Very often missed. It's easier to catch in a 7 man crew, as he has help from the deep official on his side, but still can be over-looked.

No our DE and OLB were coached to face the sideline in other words, our DE would be in a stance facing the play like he was standing on the sideline so that he can turn the reverse back inside. Most of the time the crack back WR would get his helmet on the outside of the shoulder pads enough to let the wing get outside him and off to the races.

Guess I never really got over it never being called as that play broke our back multiple times over my 4 seasons.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back