Here's the ridiculous contract Tennessee was prepared to give Greg Schiano

With most multi-signature agreements I've seen, it will state that the contract isn't valid until all parties execute it. There is no such language like that in this MOU.

Granted the multiple signature lines make it seem obvious but how would Schiano and Sexton know (from the language of the MOU) that it requires all 3 signatures to be properly executed.

It's seems fishy the same language as been in other MOA's signed by UT coaches but not in this MOA. Why would Currie go out of his way to delete standard contract language in the MOA for Schiano?

Reactions: 3 people
This also showcases part of the reason our program has been hamstrung for the past decade. Haslam likes giving generous buyouts to mediocre coaches. The cynical part of me wonders if this is because he knows the university will have to beg him to pay the buyouts and that's how he maintained his power over the Athletic Department for so long.

Of course, it could just be run-of-the-mill incompetence.

Think it's just incompetence.

Here is something to consider. I would never give the other party a copy of a contract that was not fully executed, ie signed.

I believe this was nothing more than a Good Ol'Boy Network buddy hire.

I suspect that no one else was ever looked at, no one else was ever considered and furthermore, Currie had Schiano in mind all along.

Here is an excerpt regarding Currie's offering of Schiano the HC position:

I have followed Coach SchianoÂ’s accomplishments throughout his career and have been fortunate to get to know him and his family over the last several years. As reported by the media, he was a leading candidate for our position. Among the most respected professional and college football coaches, he is widely regarded as an outstanding leader who develops tough, competitive teams and cares deeply about his student-athletes.
Tennessee releases statement after failed Greg Schiano hire

This was a setup from the get-go. Is it no wonder that Currie didn't want a search committee involved?

And when the SHTF because we rebuked Schiano's hiring, he began behaving crazier than a run over dog?!

The boy knew he'd been had. Thanks in great part to VolNation, which I am proud to be a part of.

Reactions: 6 people
I am wondering, is there another possibility in the gap between these these two scenarios? If not, I am leaning toward the more sinister of the two.

Unless somebody in the know writes a book about it, we will never know just how it started. But the whole thing seems like a long running feud between a few rich men. And even in times they claim to have nothing to do with a situation, you can bet the house they know exactly what was going on, who that works for them really is involved, and the actual reasons everything was done.

And it will probably go on until whoever felt slighted dies, or somebody more powerful than the factions takes their toys away from them. Money makes people crazy.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe this was nothing more than a Good Ol'Boy Network buddy hire.

I suspect that no one else was ever looked at, no one else was ever considered and furthermore, Currie had Schiano in mind all along.

Here is an excerpt regarding Currie's offering of Schiano the HC position:

Tennessee releases statement after failed Greg Schiano hire

This was a setup from the get-go. Is it no wonder that Currie didn't want a search committee involved?

And when the SHTF because we rebuked Schiano's hiring, he began behaving crazier than a run over dog?!

The boy knew he'd been had. Thanks in great part to VolNation, which I am proud to be a part of.

Well, of course he had Schiano in mind all along. Why else would he be piddle assing in the Bahamas on the university's dime before he made the hire? But somebody in the athletics dept. had to see his travels arrangements somehow, and passed that on to whoever leaked the Schiano info a good 24 hours before Currie got there.

No wonder Currie seemed all over the place. He had set up to hire one guy, had his signature on the MOU when all Hell broke loose. Once he was out of Columbus, it was like the welease Woger scene from life of Brian. The whole world was laughing at him as he tried to make hires in complete desperation mode. I really think he tried to hire Leach without authorization in the hopes it wouldn't be sabotaged.

Oh it was a set up, but in more ways than one. 100 years from now if they are still making movies, the next Paul Newman and Robert Redford will be making the Big Orange Sting. That is the only thing I can think of that even comes close to what we saw here.

Reactions: 5 people
Here's the issues (I'm not an attorney but have dealt with enough contracts or employment contracts to be dangerous)

1. We did not have anything resembling reciprocity in this agreement pertaining to the buyouts (If he left UT his buyout was less than 20% of the term of the buyout but if UT fired him, it was 75%)

2. I'm concerned that this could be construed as a valid contract (See 6(d) as well as no language exists that states something similar to "This agreement is not fully valid until all parties listed on the signatory page execute the agreement". If I'm Schiano's side, I'd argue there's no language in the contract that says the MOU needs 3 signatures from UT to be valid)

I deal with contracts through business on the regular. The only way a contract withour all listed parties signature on it becomes valid is if work is performed by the party agreein to go under contract. The contract then becomes what is known as an implied contract...meaning if Schiano did any work for the university then of course it's implied that he expects compensation for this.

Reactions: 2 people
I deal with contracts through business on the regular. The only way a contract withour all listed parties signature on it becomes valid is if work is performed by the party agreein to go under contract. The contract then becomes what is known as an implied contract...meaning if Schiano did any work for the university then of course it's implied that he expects compensation for this.

If he was reaching out to potential assistants....what does that mean?

wonder what kind of hiring authority is stated in Mr. Currie's contract as an AD with UT?

GO VOLS!

Reaching out to assistants does not mean doing work for the university because it can be argued in court that this is done for personal gain or measure on a regular basis by coaches and not done as work for the university. The only case I believe hI'm to have is civil...any personal loss he may claim from the actions of Currie or the University which would be a separate claim fron any money listed in the MOU. Then Tennessee would want to settle out of court to avoid court and the attention it would garner.

If there is a place on the MOU for other signatures other than Curries then that means it is official upon agreement from others approval within the University and not solely dependent on anything Currie agreed to terms on.

The first paragraph states that the MOU is subject to the execution of an Employment Agreement. If an Employment Agreement was never signed then IMO the MOU is unenforceable.

Sure would like to see that MOU, rather than read about it.
Personally I'd rather see the one Gruden signed. Yes, per these legal eagles on VN claiming their law license. He signed one, it was true ... it was damned true ... NOT. What we had were a bunch of VN posters claiming all kinds of stuff lying through their collective teeth pretending they were or knew insiders, they knew Jack Squat like the rest of us.

Reactions: 4 people
Pretty sure it would be on letterhead, would look "Tennessee-ish", and wouldn't look like it came off legal zoom if it were real.

Won't believe anything unless it comes out of the court case.....if there is one.

Very good and logical thought...however there are contracts that to be binding have to be in a certain format including and not limited to being on plain white paper in black writing. For example any real estate contract has to follow this formatting.

Reaching out to assistants does not mean doing work for the university because it can be argued in court that this is done for personal gain or measure on a regular basis by coaches and not done as work for the university. The only case I believe hI'm to have is civil...any personal loss he may claim from the actions of Currie or the University which would be a separate claim fron any money listed in the MOU. Then Tennessee would want to settle out of court to avoid court and the attention it would garner.

UT should make those $$ Currie's responsibility.

Reactions: 2 people
Because the MOU is considered a non-delegated contract, it required Miller's signature to become a binding agreement according to UT's contract policy.

non-delegated_UT.png

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back