Help Us Bring Back The Battle For The Beer Barrel!

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Beer Barrel Bowl

Currently, the Beer Barrel trophy is kept in a football equipment cage at the University of Tennessee. This website is an attempt to collect names from fans of Kentucky and Tennessee in support of bringing back the Beer Barrel trophy and the post game celebration. Once we gather enough signatures our plan to take the petition to each university’s athletic director to urge them to consider bringing back the 86-year old tradition.

Reactions: 4 people
They stopped because you can't possibly fit the number of times we have won the game on it anymore, not to mention it is just totally embarassing for UK fans

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yes, maybe Mission of Hope can change their barrels to honory 'beer barrels' for this noble cause. Find something that actually matters to the betterment of the student athlete and get involved with that.

I believe they stopped it because some kids died in a drunk driving incident on the Kentucky side. Thought i heard that, maybe not. Also the talks were that it "promoted" "celebrated" drinking on college campuses. half of the kids on college campuses have under-aged kids on them at all times. It's dumb but that's their issue. Very liberal agenda in my opinion. Liberal in that it may "offend" someone. seems like a radical conservative issue but it's not the "drinking is bad", it's the "it might offend" mentality.

I believe they stopped it because some kids died in a drunk driving incident on the Kentucky side.

Yeah this is why it was ended. I would love to see something take its place if not a beer (or bourbon) barrel. Not a big politically correct type of person, but drinking and driving at any age is intolerable.

You know why they stopped the tradition right? Some kentucky football players were killed in a drunk driving accident.

Grew up in lexington............rough go around for the area. The shooting of the football player was the same time period.

I believe they stopped it because some kids died in a drunk driving incident on the Kentucky side. Thought i heard that, maybe not. Also the talks were that it "promoted" "celebrated" drinking on college campuses. half of the kids on college campuses have under-aged kids on them at all times. It's dumb but that's their issue. Very liberal agenda in my opinion. Liberal in that it may "offend" someone. seems like a radical conservative issue but it's not the "drinking is bad", it's the "it might offend" mentality.

I believe you are correct....although I'm pretty sure it was a player on the KY football team and he passed away the week of the game.

I think they took it away that year because of the obvious connection. I totally agree with the issues with bringing it back....just because kids underage drink doesn't make it ok and really in the grand scheme of things I feel like that is a better message than that of using a barrell as a trophy....who cares?

The Barrel wasn't retired. Kentucky fans just think that because they haven't seen it in 25 years. In reality Tennessee got tired of transporting it to Lexington just to bring it back every other year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
true .. i pulled up that wiki and just threw out those 3 streaks without noting "series info" column

Too bad we lost to vandy in 05, had we not that streak would have been at...have to do the numbers but feel about 30 now

bb-300.jpg

beer-barrel-trophy-kentucky-vs-tennessee2.jpg

Sunday,%20September%2025,%202005%20(53).jpg

VN Store

Back