Has anyone read Spurrier's book?

jasonvols2.2

I think it is boring. He takes a little shot at Ray Goff, but other than that, it is very plain. It was interesting that he originally wanted to play for Ole Miss, however.

I've read most of it. It becomes a bit slow, but I still love the HBC. He was always nice to me when I was a kid when he was at Duke. He was pretty funny. That doesn't mean I didn't want to kick their ass every chance we got.

That 2001 game in the swamp is definitely one of my top 3 games I've ever watched. Didn't attend. My parents made hotel and airline reservations the next day to LA. Sigh.

I absolutely hated him and Florida as a kid. I still hate Florida, but I learned to love him once he went to South Carolina. Every job he took at Tennessee and all the other schools were true. His manner of speaking and what he says/how he says it is just hilarious to me. Perhaps it wouldn't be as controversial now since gambling is become more "acceptable" to talk about in the media, but I loved how in the week before a game he'd make either an outright or thinly-veiled reference to the spread of the game.

Stuff like this video right here is why I love him. In this press conference, he speaks as if he's a fan of the team, not the head coach.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws5lZCkR6iw[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
a great offensive mind and one of the 3 or 4 best coaches to ever coach in the SEC but he really hurt his legacy quitting on his team at mid season in my book.

a great offensive mind and one of the 3 or 4 best coaches to ever coach in the SEC but he really hurt his legacy quitting on his team at mid season in my book.

He did hurt it a little bit, I agree. A couple of South Carolina buddies of mine were saying before the 2014 season started that they were hearing he was getting tired and debating whether or not to coach that season and were surprised he didn't retire after 2014. When he stepped down during the 2015 season, they weren't surprised at all. Kind of disappointed, but not surprised. He did so much for their program (won the East in 2010, three 11-2 seasons in a row, 6-5 against Clemson, dominated Georgia from 2010-14) I don't really think they care. He really helped raise expectations there. When South Carolina people think they have a pretty good team (like this year) they get pretty excited and think perhaps they can make some noise. They didn't used to think that way.

The most interesting thing about him is that despite him being a college football icon, he only had the one national title, and Bobby Bowden got the better of him during his days at Florida (he went 5-8-1 against Bowden). Even during that year they won the title (1996) he lost to FSU during the regular season but beat them in the Sugar Bowl, which ended up effectively being the national title game that season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Pretty amazing what he was able to do at Duke, UF, and SC. All doormats he resurrected. UF has been able to be successful after he left but aside from UM it shows that it’s not always about the recruits. Good coaching is important

I read Saban's biography, and enjoyed it. Haven't read Spurrier's. I enjoy reading about what made people how they are. Reading Saban's biography is what makes me think Saban will still go to the NFL one day and coach. Granted, I hate their teams, and of course, rooted against them any opportunity possible. But, I am also mature enough to say that I can separate my disdain for a team they coach from the fact that I respect the fact that they are fantastic coaches that changed the game of football. Football would not be the same if it weren't for Steve Spurrier. Like him or not, Spurrier had a huge impact on the game and for what it now is. Very few college coaches can match what Spurrier did. I will always hate Florida, and South Carolina, and Alabama, but....I can at least give credit where it's due.

VN Store

Back