Grant Williams rated the No. 11 returning player by Andy Katz

Draymond Green is 6’7” and plays the center in the best lineup in league history. The NBA is a more positionless league than ever before. If he can guard a 5, Grant can be a productive NBA player

Reactions: 1 person
Draymond Green is 6’7” and plays the center in the best lineup in league history. The NBA is a more positionless league than ever before. If he can guard a 5, Grant can be a productive NBA player

Several of the 80's teams or MJ's teams have better lineups then GSW. San Antonio with Robinson and Tim Duncan where better. Philly with Dr. J and Moses where better. GSW could not hope to stop the Bird Celtics bigs and Scottie, Michael and Rodman would have shut them down. GSW best in league history? Funny. Green would not start for most of the great teams from the 80's.

Several of the 80's teams or MJ's teams have better lineups then GSW. San Antonio with Robinson and Tim Duncan where better. Philly with Dr. J and Moses where better. GSW could not hope to stop the Bird Celtics bigs and Scottie, Michael and Rodman would have shut them down. GSW best in league history? Funny. Green would not start for most of the great teams from the 80's.

Analytically speaking, when the warriors go Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant and Green they are historically dominant.

Draymond Green: 33mpg 16.2ppg 10.6rpg 3.8apg 1.5spg 45%fg 39%3fg 72%ft

Grant Williams: 29mpg 15.2ppg 6.0rpg 1.9apg 0.6spg 47%fg 12%3fg 76%ft

And even with those numbers Green still didn’t go in the first round, so Williams definitely has an uphill battle. Draymond showed an ability to handle the ball, pass the ball, and shoot from deep that Williams hasn’t even come close to yet

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

He doesn't start at center. He actually rarely plays center, depends on the opposing teams lineup. Last season they had ZaZa and McGee.

Not what I’ve been told at all...in fact Grant has told staff and his academic counselors he wants to graduate this year so he can pursue his masters next year at UT.
I don't doubt that is Grant's plan. He's a rare breed for sure.

Surprised you to hear it from who? The staff?
Yes, that came from a member of the staff.

This is a poor argument for several reasons. The most obvious ones being the differences in playing style and the differences in the schemes in which they play in. Yes they are similar in size, but Draymond plays more of a point forward role similar to Tyler Smith in Bruce Pearl’s offense. Grant doesn’t handle the ball outside of the paint, he’s not an elite passer and he doesn’t have a proven long range jumper.

I’ll spare you and everyone else the rest of my 13 page narrative.

Reactions: 2 people
This is a poor argument for several reasons. The most obvious ones being the differences in playing style and the differences in the schemes in which they play in. Yes they are similar in size, but Draymond plays more of a point forward role similar to Tyler Smith in Bruce Pearl’s offense. Grant doesn’t handle the ball outside of the paint, he’s not an elite passer and he doesn’t have a proven long range jumper.

Go on.

True. Grant is a good, sometimes great player right now. But, I would be surprised if he played in the NBA. Doesn't mean he can't have a lengthy professional career though

Last edited:

I'd agree on most of this, except for grants passing. He's an exceptional passer imo. I'd say elite

Then you were watching a different player...an elite passer would’ve averaged about 5apg given the attention he drew on the block.

Just because he doesn't get the assist doesn't mean he's not an elite passer.. Actually, I believe I remember a commentator calling him an elite passer last year during a game.

Grant Williams is 6'7". Your image is not accurate because they aren't side by side.

I have stood next to Grant and I am 6'6 and he was slightly taller than me. (Unless his shoes were just much taller than mine)

Team picture shows that Grant is a good bit taller than Admiral, but also a good bit shorter than Fulk.

143483_20170911_MB_TeamPhoto_KZ_002.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Team picture shows that Grant is a good bit taller than Admiral, but also a good bit shorter than Fulk.

143483_20170911_MB_TeamPhoto_KZ_002.jpg

He’s also taller than Pons (6’6). Fulk looks almost as tall as Alexander, I’d guess he’s probably 6’9.5. I genuinely believe Grant is 6’7 or very close to it.

Just because he doesn't get the assist doesn't mean he's not an elite passer.. Actually, I believe I remember a commentator calling him an elite passer last year during a game.

Then that commentator was wrong, like I said an elite passer would handle the double teams much better than he did...passing is one of his weaknesses for sure.

Then that commentator was wrong, like I said an elite passer would handle the double teams much better than he did...passing is one of his weaknesses for sure.

You're in the minority there imo. I ca respect your opinion though. I'd say his handle is his weakness

GSW Green would not start over the Lakers Green from the 80's and 90's. I know today's players are considered "more athletic" but it is night and day regarding the overall quality of teams. This Golden State team had the weakest inside game for an NBA champion I've seen. Yes the won the championship but Cleveland had almost no business being in the finals.

Seems like the NBA just drafts for potential these days. Grant is too short for the 4, not quick enough or not enough of a shot for the 3. Admiral is too short for the 3 and not quick enough for the 2. Alexander might be the player the NBA likes the most, but his shot will hold him back.

Admiral has an NBA ready jumpshot. He needs to continue working on quickness and dribbling to be in serious discussion.

Alexander has the height. I also think he has a soft touch. For me his issues are consistency, toughness and he doesn't get off the ground well enough as an intimidating defender like an Anthony Davis but many don't.

Grant, to me, is a throwback. As I said, if he can just expand his game to hit that 15 to 18 footer consistently then I think he could make bread in the league. He is a go about his business player. And he won SEC POY as a sophomore. There is no reason to believe with his work ethic he won't get better.

GSW Green would not start over the Lakers Green from the 80's and 90's. I know today's players are considered "more athletic" but it is night and day regarding the overall quality of teams. This Golden State team had the weakest inside game for an NBA champion I've seen. Yes the won the championship but Cleveland had almost no business being in the finals.

Who cares about their inside game, the NBA has changed a lot in the past 10 years and the Warriors win games from the perimeter.

Hard to argue with 4 straight conference titles and 3 championships in 4 years. Hate it or love it they are the best team in the league and have been for awhile.

In every era old guys will talk about how teams of years past were better, doesn’t matter the sport.

Here are league averages for 3pt percentage in the 80’s compared to the last 10 years.

There is no better indication of how much the game has changed. I agree that teams in the 80’s were stronger on the low block but they simply wouldn’t be able to hang against the Warriors. Those teams weren’t built for quick possessions and the Warriors would run them out of the gym. Even if they could keep up with the Warriors’ pace they wouldn’t have the 3 point shooting ability to keep it close. Golden State’s starting 5 next year were all ranked in the top 23 players in the league last year by ESPN. I don’t think there has ever been a deeper team.

Top 100 NBA players of 2018: Full rankings | SI.com

Attachments

• 70DEE32C-A158-4C78-A037-8887B4F1EF53.jpg
    70DEE32C-A158-4C78-A037-8887B4F1EF53.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CA4A8538-7666-4BC7-91C2-DEBF8D721B91.jpg
    CA4A8538-7666-4BC7-91C2-DEBF8D721B91.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm not arguing the game has changed and there has been more emphasis on the 3 point shot. For my money, I'm just not sure I would've taken this years Warriors over a number of teams of the past. Houston was probably a better team.

Mark Agguire 6 ft 6 in. small forward but scored inside. 13 seasons NBA
Adrian Dantely 6 ft 5 in. small forward but scored inside. 15 seasons NBA.

You never can tell how much better Williams can get.

And those guys retired 20 years ago. GW and AS have a chance but it will be as role players.

VN Store

Back