Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Almost 70 great photos of the strip from 50 years ago.

50 years ago this past March, the ever-popular UT student hangout area known as “The Strip” went from being a noun to being a verb….courtesy of a few dozen enthusiastic souls who wanted to take part in the nation-wide streaking craze. Here are images scanned from the negatives of Jack Kirkland, while he was photographing the happenings during that wild weekend. As interesting as the streakers are in the pictures, the mob of people packing Cumberland Ave. & rooftops is what is most fascinating. Can’t believe the “bull” on top of Sam & Andy’s Tennessean survived all that.
(Side note, if a few folks are curious: To some people's relief, and maybe some other people's disappointment, these images needed to be edited to make them "Volnation eligible"....and to protect the identities those participators who might have woke up the next morning with more than a bit of regret, lol)

Reactions: EasternVol
Almost 70 great photos of the strip from 50 years ago.

50 years ago this past March, the ever-popular UT student hangout area known as “The Strip” went from being a noun to being a verb….courtesy of a few dozen enthusiastic souls who wanted to take part in the nation-wide streaking craze. Here are images scanned from the negatives of Jack Kirkland, while he was photographing the happenings during that wild weekend. As interesting as the streakers are in the pictures, the mob of people packing Cumberland Ave. & rooftops is what is most fascinating. Can’t believe the “bull” on top of Sam & Andy’s Tennessean survived all that.
(Side note, if a few folks are curious: To some people's relief, and maybe some other people's disappointment, these images needed to be edited to make them "Volnation eligible"....and to protect the identities those participators who might have woke up the next morning with more than a bit of regret, lol)

[/MEDIA]

Mad, my browser (Firefox) is blocking that Facebook link for anti-tracking purposes, and I bet that is happening to others as well. I don't do Facebook so I can't go look it up. Grr. Would you screen capture a few of those and post them here?

Reactions: TN-POSSUM and MAD
Mad, my browser (Firefox) is blocking that Facebook link for anti-tracking purposes, and I bet that is happening to others as well. I don't do Facebook so I can't go look it up. Grr. Would you screen capture a few of those and post them here?
Sure

There are probably a few of the Gone but not Forgotten gang here who have not been in the old Rich's/Miller's building since it became the UT Conference Center. If so, and you are in the Knoxville area, you should go in and see what has happened there. Other than the exterior, you'd never know you were in the same building. The hallways and elevators are open to the public, so you can go in and show yourself around. The escalators are long gone, and there is no access to the tunnel in the basement. Also, most of the basement ("T") level, and floors 1-3 are badge access for UT employees only. Otherwise, though, you can self-guide. There is a UT security guard on duty at the desk in front of the elevators on 2nd floor. His name is Craig and he's a very friendly guy who is amenable to giving a brief tour if he's not tied up.

The original stairwells are still in place in their original locations. They still have the green tile, same as on the building exterior. Also, the big freight elevator that the department stores used is still in place. The original Rich's elevators, with their mirrored interiors, are still there and being used.

The 4th floor is where the facilities, kitchen, and meeting rooms for UT Conferences is located. It's very attractively furnished and the admin assistant will show you around if you're interested. She knows a bit of the history of the building and can point out where the Laurel Room was located.

There is parking available in the Locust St. Garage on the corner across from the Conference Center.

Go check the Conference Center out! As I said, it's quite different than the way we remember it in the Miller's days.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN-POSSUM and MAD
Here are some pictures I took in the Conference Center in late 2020.

(L-R) Conference Center from the Locust Street Garage, the escalator well, a preconstruction hallway shot down in the "T" level, and a look into the Conference Center main lobby on 4th floor.

The escalator picture is interesting in that you can see the outline of the escalators where the left wall had been painted around them. You can't see it in that picture, but the well is open from the "T" level all the way up to the building roof. The contractors built new floors and all that space is now being utilized.

Attachments

• DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0457.JPG
    DSCN0457.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0466.JPG
    DSCN0466.JPG