Game Thread Lady Vols Softball Week 8

What is their OBP and BA?

Welp... that's not the debate going on now. DP12 referenced those 3 hitters as a rebuttal to the team not hitting for power. OBP and BA do not attribute to power hitters. Slugging % does

So what is there Slugging %? Quite frankly, i don't care.

The team is what it is, and just like most teams has holes that can/can't be fixed at this point in the season.

Get to post season, catch lightning in a bottle like OK has the past 2 years, and beat who is in front of you, and move on. All the SEC teams will be there again, so best of luck to the LV's and I hope they win it all.

Reactions: 1 person
Gregg, Vines, Seggern, Lockman, McSwain, and Morgan are all power hitters. There is a total of 31 homers among the six of them.

I disagree. That's like saying Babe Ruth and Pat Collins were power hitters. They had 63 HR between them. But Babe had the 60 and Pat had the 3.

Take Gregg out and now you have 20 for the other 5 players. Seggern has 6 career HR in 98 games. 1 every 16 games. Vines has 5 career HR in 72 games. 1 every 14 games. Lockman has 10 in 127 games. 1 every 13 games. Morgan has 4 in 38 games. 1 every 9 games.

I'll give you McSwain. She has 26 in 200 games. 1 every 8 games. And Morgan may turn into one. The others, not so much.

Edited to add that I missed a year on Vines. She has 7 HR in 130 career games. So 1 every 18 games. Even less than I originally said.

Last edited:
I disagree. That's like saying Babe Ruth and Pat Collins were power hitters. They had 63 HR between them. But Babe had the 60 and Pat had the 3.

Take Gregg out and now you have 20 for the other 5 players. Seggern has 6 career HR in 98 games. 1 every 16 games. Vines has 5 career HR in 72 games. 1 every 14 games. Lockman has 10 in 127 games. 1 every 13 games. Morgan has 4 in 38 games. 1 every 9 games.

I'll give you McSwain. She has 26 in 200 games. 1 every 8 games. And Morgan may turn into one. The others, not so much.

Then you could say no one in the SEC has much in the way of home run hitting since were tied for fourth with 35 in the league.

Only two teams have over forty, then one with 36, and then Tennessee and Miss St.

The team that just squashed us SC has 33.

So saying home run hitting is a major factor is not the answer. Consistent hitting is the major factor and regardless of home runs we have players that can smack the ball or we used to. Even with the latest drought out slugging percentage is .492 which is fifth in the league.

An even bigger factor is that our team era is 2.29 which is 10th in the SEC. I expect the hitting will come around enough to get the job done I have a lot of concern that the pitching will be good enough this season.

An even bigger factor is that our team era is 2.29 which is 10th in the SEC. I expect the hitting will come around enough to get the job done I have a lot of concern that the pitching will be good enough this season.

Looking at SEC Stats only, you are pretty spot on. Top of league in hitting (2nd in HR), but very bottom in pitching (ERA is 5.58 in conference play)

2018 SEC Softball - Conference-Only Statistics

Last edited:
Welp... that's not the debate going on now. DP12 referenced those 3 hitters as a rebuttal to the team not hitting for power. OBP and BA do not attribute to power hitters. Slugging % does

So what is there Slugging %? Quite frankly, i don't care.

The team is what it is, and just like most teams has holes that can/can't be fixed at this point in the season.

Get to post season, catch lightning in a bottle like OK has the past 2 years, and beat who is in front of you, and move on. All the SEC teams will be there again, so best of luck to the LV's and I hope they win it all.

No, you missed the point completely.

I referenced those as the three slappers. As in, those are three that would NOT hit for power with a high slugging percentage. Their success is measured by batting average, on base percentage and runs scored. Leach leads the conference in all three. Holcomb is #2 in the conference in batting average.

The person I was replying to said Tennessee had too many slappers. My point was that Tennessee only has one true slapper and two that can slap or swing away.

Three slappers in a lineup is an average amount among elite college softball teams.

As for the rest of the team, Gregg leads the nation in RBIs, Seggern is #3. Seggern leads the SEC in doubles and is second in triples. They need more production from the bottom of the lineup. But it's not an overall lack of power.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem has been clutch hitting and some player not hitting with consistency. The non-consistent hitters are McSwain, Lockman, and Morgan. I give Morgan a little slack because she is a freshman and she is outhitting the other two.
Gregg has been in a min-slump as has Vines. Seggern has hit the ball hard but right at people. Hopefully Gregg, Vines, and Seggern will rebound because the slappers are on the bases about 50 percent of the time.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back