Game Thread Lady Vols Softball NCAA Super REGIONALS

Once again our gals go home in another loss.....It's getting old.

Watched Florida bomb a big home run to win their game in their last at bat....Our team, especially McClain, would have been trying to slap the damn ball and striking out again.

We need some power hitters, not more slappers...Their day is over by the rule change.

Let's see, Holly's too nice and the girls lose....The Weekly's are to mean, and the girls lose....

Just quit crying ladies and tighten up whatever you ladies tighten up....Grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Guess we have to get better to play in the SEC

33 and 1 non SEC
15 and 13 SEC

Everybody is great in the SEC you must have the elite pitchers not the good ones and a top hitting lineup from top to bottom. This season we were very weak 5 through 9 hitting and our pitchers gave up way to many home runs and extra base hits.
Both Pitchers with have to strive to get a lot better in the off season. Hopefully Ashley Rogers is the real deal her high school stats are awesome. Sprang hopefully can find a game she probably has the ability to be a decent pitcher if she can find some control

Next season Morgan needs to advance to a .300 hitter and 10 homer type player. She is excellent defensively. Leach back for her senior year does a tremendous job for this team where would we be without her. SS we'll see a new face could be Huffstetler or incoming recruit Gracie Osborn who has a big arm.
Third base Seggern becomes a leader and key player needs to develop more power and hit for a higher average.

Outfield Holcomb in RF great defensively needs to learn to power slap and how to stay in the box. We need to get away from slappers in the future. Center Field need a strong hitter to take McClains place that could be Madison Pacini. Need a lot of improvement as a hitter from Alaya. Hopefully Brooke Vines returns next season and will probably play outfield and DP. Shipman will make it hard for Lockman to get much playing time next season.

What the lineup could look like:

Leach
Huffstettler
Vines
Seggern
Shipman
Morgan
Ayala
Pacini
Holcomb

Moss Senior
Arnold Junior
Sprang Sophomore
Rogers Freshman

In the end SEC choked on the final day of competition and only two teams made the World Series. The Pac 12 got four to go along with Florida State and Oklahoma.
Amazing we went 4 and o against the Pac 12 and have wins over Oregon and Arizona State that are in the tourney. We got lost after that Hawaii trip lost all three games to SC and never recovered.

The list is quite lengthy over the years. I think they may have mellowed in recent years. The list of transfers used to be quite long but has shortened quite a bit recently. But they aren't easy coaches to play for, for sure. The Abbott years saw many transfers. Some players leave for more playing time, some leave because they want to be closer to home (or a mixture of the two), but some have definitely left because they didn't like how they were coached or treated, including some very good players. WTBS, the list of transfers that have actually been successful after UT is extremely short, and the ones that had a lot of success were walk-ons at UT (i.e. Andi Williamson, Jen Lapicki and Leah Taylor).

But yes, Davin's dad used to complain constantly about the coaches and especially Ralph, and also complained about Davin's position. She was recruited to play the corners but wound up playing mostly OF her last two seasons and played a lot of DP her first year, as Chavanne had 3B locked up and Tarango could only play 1st, pitcher and DP. At one point he said they were thinking of trying her at catcher. It was really more of a testament to her athletic ability and versatility. She was in the mold of a Lexi Overstreet or Scarlet McSwain defensively, but he whined about it. He has some jealousy issues, though. He threw several other players under the bus in private conversations and clearly had an ax to grind, but with him being from California he was getting his information through the lens of his daughter. Davin stayed four years, though, and was very talented. Couldn't have been THAT bad because she could've easily found a roster spot at a good program. I believe he said Davin was on a full scholarship, too, which aren't too common for softball players.

There's two sides to every story, though. Jessica Spigner's dad told me that the Weeklys treated her horribly but according to two other parents from players on that team, including an AA player, nobody else felt that way and they all agreed with her dismissal. That same parent also said you'd rather have Ralph on your rear end than Karen because she's very much the hard ass out of the two. (For the record, he also said Davin's situation was overblown by her father. But he was a very hands off parent and his daughter had thick skin because he didn't pump sunshine up her butt growing up playing ball. IOW, he let the coaches do their jobs.)

There have also been a lot of meddling parents over the years. It's a big problem in baseball and softball. And it seems it's worse with the in-state kids. Shelby Burchell's dad was very meddlesome and Cat Hosfield's mom was a nightmare. I don't think the Weeklys are perfect coaches but it doesn't help when you have parents who think they can do your job better than you can. I do wish Karen would take over pitching coaching duties and we would replace Marty with a real hitting coach.

Any coach who has coached for several years will have instances with parents and some players as you have described .It goes with the job and in my opinion the Weekleys record speaks for itsself....and that is outstanding.Any manager/leader of any organization has /will have similar challenges.If one does not understand that then one has not been a manager/leader or coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

33 and 1 non SEC
15 and 13 SEC

Everybody is great in the SEC you must have the elite pitchers not the good ones and a top hitting lineup from top to bottom. This season we were very weak 5 through 9 hitting and our pitchers gave up way to many home runs and extra base hits.
Both Pitchers with have to strive to get a lot better in the off season. Hopefully Ashley Rogers is the real deal her high school stats are awesome. Sprang hopefully can find a game she probably has the ability to be a decent pitcher if she can find some control

Next season Morgan needs to advance to a .300 hitter and 10 homer type player. She is excellent defensively. Leach back for her senior year does a tremendous job for this team where would we be without her. SS we'll see a new face could be Huffstetler or incoming recruit Gracie Osborn who has a big arm.
Third base Seggern becomes a leader and key player needs to develop more power and hit for a higher average.

Outfield Holcomb in RF great defensively needs to learn to power slap and how to stay in the box. We need to get away from slappers in the future. Center Field need a strong hitter to take McClains place that could be Madison Pacini. Need a lot of improvement as a hitter from Alaya. Hopefully Brooke Vines returns next season and will probably play outfield and DP. Shipman will make it hard for Lockman to get much playing time next season.

Leach
Huffstettler
Vines
Seggern
Shipman
Morgan
Ayala
Pacini
Holcomb

Moss Senior
Arnold Junior
Sprang Sophomore
Rogers Freshman

IMO with the enforcement slappers' foot out of the box being called out ,slappers usefulness has become extinct just like the dinosaurs.Stand in there and take a full swing at the ball or simply bunt it.

Also, this is the first time we have failed to make OKC three years in a row since we made our first ever trip in 2005. Lends credence to those who are concerned the Weeklys are past their peak.

IMO with the enforcement slappers' foot out of the box being called out ,slappers usefulness has become extinct just like the dinosaurs.Stand in there and take a full swing at the ball or simply bunt it.

The announcers said we were called out for that violation 25 times this year. One more in yesterday's game made it 26.

On another point, if the slappers are finally illegal and they are, what about the crow hop pitchers and the running to first base clearly on the playing field bunch...if one is illegal then they are all illegal and should be so enforced!

Barnhill crow hops so much she should be called "Little Crow Hopper" I watched her the other day and it was so obvious...She doesn't even attempt to hide it....She lands sometimes out of the circle....Why the other coach takes it, I have no idea.

33 and 1 non SEC
15 and 13 SEC

Leach
Huffstettler
Vines
Seggern
Shipman
Morgan
Ayala
Pacini
Holcomb

Moss Senior
Arnold Junior
Sprang Sophomore
Rogers Freshman

I would think this would be my lineup as well. SH before the redshirt was Leaches backup at 2nd. This may be why she is penciled in at ss. Our fundamentals were a little weak this year not including the slap debacles. Ayala made many baserunning mistakes and seems to not know whether to run or when to stay put. She is a freshman and along with Morgan fit in pretty well and overall did fine. Got to get Gabby going and Ashley needs to step in and get comfortable immediately. It would be nice to think we would hit as many HRs this next year but I don't see it. Lets go ahead and speak of coaching a minute. I think Ralph made more bonehead calls on the mound and while on offense than other years. Some never made since to many on hear as well as myself. Good people and good coaches anyway. Would love for Karen to take over and handle pitchers and find a proven hitting coach with experience in the art of hitting. MS does not fit the bill yet and may never since she has another career. JMHO:)

On another point, if the slappers are finally illegal and they are, what about the crow hop pitchers and the running to first base clearly on the playing field bunch...if one is illegal then they are all illegal and should be so enforced!

You need to learn the rules about basepaths/lines. The runners' lane is only mandatory when there's a throw from the catcher. And it's only a violation if the thrown ball hits the batter-runner. And if said thrown ball hits the batter-runner while outside of the runners' lane, it is interference. If none of those things happen, it's nothing. Completely different rule from hitting the ball outside the batter's box.

Reactions: 2 people

I think it may take 3-5 more years but there is some movement to get rid of the crow hop pitching rule. The Barnhill situation has brought it to the forefront

Barnhill crow hops so much she should be called "Little Crow Hopper" I watched her the other day and it was so obvious...She doesn't even attempt to hide it....She lands sometimes out of the circle....Why the other coach takes it, I have no idea.

She has some type of pass. They let it happen. If I was a coach I would raise all kinds of hell in the game!

Also, this is the first time we have failed to make OKC three years in a row since we made our first ever trip in 2005. Lends credence to those who are concerned the Weeklys are past their peak.

Clear evidence the game has passed the Weeklys by. Yet amazingly 4 of the current WCWS teams - Washington (2014,2015,2016) UCLA (2011,2012,2013,2014) Oklahoma (2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010) and Georgia (2011,2012,2013,2014,2015) all missed the WCWS for 3 years or more in a row and somehow managed to get back again. Under the same washed up brain dead coaches. Maybe there is still hope for us

Clear evidence the game has passed the Weeklys by. Yet amazingly 4 of the current WCWS teams - Washington (2014,2015,2016) UCLA (2011,2012,2013,2014) Oklahoma (2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010) and Georgia (2011,2012,2013,2014,2015) all missed the WCWS for 3 years or more in a row and somehow managed to get back again. Under the same washed up brain dead coaches. Maybe there is still hope for us

Recruit hitters, hire new hitting/pitching coaches.

Brain dead? Winning 3 out of the last 5, I’d hardly call Patty Gasso brain dead. Stupidest remark yet

VN Store

Back