'19 GA OL Wanya Morris (Tennessee signee)

I don't have any doubt that they are better than what we have now. They're still gonna be freshmen playing the most important position of need. We're not gonna beat many SEC teams playing a bunch of freshmen. I live in reality not a dream world. We've got two freshmen starting in our back end right now but they're struggling with SEC offenses. I know you have to start some freshmen when you're building a foundation but that's not a recipe for instant wins.

Oh I see so anyone who disagrees with you lives in a dream world? You said we will be in deep dodo. We are there now! Can't get any deep than where we are now. We get wright along with the other commitments will be an improvement immediately than what we have now. Look at Mays for GA. his a Fr. I am not saying that they want struggle and make mistakes but you said we would be in deep dodo. I am saying we already are. These recruits will be the start of us getting our heads above it.

Keep in mind we’ve got a easier schedule next year too. Even if we do have 2 true freshman tackles it helps a lot we can move Trey back inside. Also if they are better than what we have now then logic tells you that makes us a better team next season. I think people are underlooking our woes on the d line. We won’t have a dominant defense until our D line is improved.

Keep in mind we’ve got a easier schedule next year too. Even if we do have 2 true freshman tackles it helps a lot we can move Trey back inside. Also if they are better than what we have now then logic tells you that makes us a better team next season. I think people are underlooking our woes on the d line. We won’t have a dominant defense until our D line is improved.

No I agree about our DL. To me the OL and DL are our biggest concerns. We do have other concerns but to me those are the biggest.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't have any doubt that they are better than what we have now. They're still gonna be freshmen playing the most important position of need. We're not gonna beat many SEC teams playing a bunch of freshmen. I live in reality not a dream world. We've got two freshmen starting in our back end right now but they're struggling with SEC offenses. I know you have to start some freshmen when you're building a foundation but that's not a recipe for instant wins.
You do realize there are plenty of examples of TOP FLIGHT offensive lineman that have been immediate quality starters in the SEC? Including Trey Smith just last season.

I think the point he's making is that yes, Wanya and Darnell will be upgrades over what we have currently, but even then they're still freshmen, and freshmen are more prone to mistakes. They can be quality starters and still make mistakes, just less than what's being made now. Trey Smith is the exception, not the norm for highly-rated offensive linemen in the SEC as true freshmen. He was a Freshman All-American. I do think Wanya and Darnell would be Day 1 starters, though.

I think the point he's making is that yes, Wanya and Darnell will be upgrades over what we have currently, but even then they're still freshmen, and freshmen are more prone to mistakes. They can be quality starters and still make mistakes, just less than what's being made now. Trey Smith is the exception, not the norm for highly-rated offensive linemen in the SEC as true freshmen. He was a Freshman All-American. I do think Wanya and Darnell would be Day 1 starters, though.
These are a different level of OT’s that we rarely sign. They start at Bama, tOSU, USC because that’s what that level of player does.

Our current oline can grow by next fall. We have the coaches along with the strength and conditioning. They will improve but these new recruits could be special enough to start.

The only thing I was disagreeing with was the "deep dodo" comment. lol Not laughing about him using that just me laughing when I type it. They will make mistakes and have a lot to learn but imo they will be an upgrade say one from what we have now. We will finally start getting out of the deep dodo we are in.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
The only thing I was disagreeing with was the "deep dodo" comment. lol Not laughing about him using that just me laughing when I type it. They will make mistakes and have a lot to learn but imo they will be an upgrade say one from what we have now. We will finally start getting out of the deep dodo we are in.
Lol deep dodo

Trey did it in his freshman season..... all over the front line I might add. We sould be fine, we are literally bringing in a full line on both sides of the ball. Can only get better than what we have now honestly.

So you are expecting any FR to,perform similarly to Trey Smith? Thats alot to ask imo.

I think that's all we got right now BOT. It want be pretty at times but I think they will be more talented than what we got now.

Its possible but expecting them to be automatic starters is a tall order. Remember, guys like Trey Smith are rare. We will probably have to play some true FR next year unless we somehow find some transfers or JUCOs. I think another full year of strength and conditioning will really help the team.

Its possible but expecting them to be automatic starters is a tall order. Remember, guys like Trey Smith are rare. We will probably have to play some true FR next year unless we somehow find some transfers or JUCOs. I think another full year of strength and conditioning will really help the team.

I agree with that. Let's hope that at least Morris and Wright (assuming we get him) work out quickly. Its going to a couple of classes for sure to get us back and I also agree that we need more DL. I am sure CP knows this also. lol

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I still think that even if we get both you keep Trey at LT for a while until they prove themselves. Let them play guard like Trey did for a while and only move them outside once they have proven they can hold up. RT is probably completely up for grabs though.

I still think that even if we get both you keep Trey at LT for a while until they prove themselves. Let them play guard like Trey did for a while and only move them outside once they have proven they can hold up. RT is probably completely up for grabs though.
One of them will man RT...at this point Wright (if we land him), tho I think Wanya’s meaner and I like that element on the right side. I continually defend using Trey at LT because there’s no one that can approximate his competency at that spot. That being said, these are 5 star talents who big time programs play immediately at their projected spots...I see no difference here.

Reactions: volsagain
One of them will man RT...at this point Wright (if we land him), tho I think Wanya’s meaner and I like that element on the right side. I continually defend using Trey at LT because there’s no one that can approximate his competency at that spot. That being said, these are 5 star talents who big time programs play immediately at their projected spots...I see no difference here.
the difference imo is that we have a (good/great)5 star veteran who was also projected to start. not opposed to them getting their time later, I just hope we can work them in naturally, not force them into a start.

with 2 of them it should help our chances that at least 1 is great and ready to start day 1, at RT imo. and the other can work his way up.

I agree with what you are saying. However, the #1 and #2 OTs in this class, should have the talent and should be expected to play early. Of course they will need to get bigger and better. That’s the case of any incoming freshman.
I personally would like to see Trey moved to OG or right tackle.

the difference imo is that we have a (good/great)5 star veteran who was also projected to start. not opposed to them getting their time later, I just hope we can work them in naturally, not force them into a start.

with 2 of them it should help our chances that at least 1 is great and ready to start day 1, at RT imo. and the other can work his way up.
I think he’d excel at OG in comparison to either. It’s dependent on how all options grade out in off-season work, of course.

Reactions: JacketVol
I think we could expect Kennedy to be a staple next year too. Gotta remember the guy hadn’t played football in over a year. I like Ryan Johnson a lot but he can handle top flight d linemen. I think Carvin and Hall will be reliable guys at either guard spot, and think that Carvin will grow into a monster after another year with Fitz. Jahmir as well.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I think we could expect Kennedy to be a staple next year too. Gotta remember the guy hadn’t played football in over a year. I like Ryan Johnson a lot but he can handle top flight d linemen. I think Carvin and Hall will be reliable guys at either guard spot, and think that Carvin will grow into a monster after another year with Fitz. Jahmir as well.
He hadn’t played partly due to injury history. Not confident in him as a year long option...best use pencil.

Reactions: SugarCC
I thought Hall was done after this year. Did he got a medical RS?

VN Store

Back