Film Study: Tennessee vs Auburn

Thanks! I love these films studies when they get posted. I even wish some of the folks that do them would go back and watch some of the classics and do breakdowns of them (like the 85 Sugar Bowl or the Bo Jackson Beat Down).

Reactions: McDad and TrentVol
I'm a big fan of Matt Wyatt. He used to co-host a radio show with Richard Cross in Jackson, MS called Head-to-Head. Richard is an Ole Miss guy and one day he was sharing a story from a recruit about how Dan Mullen was into scientology or maybe it was that he was an atheist. I can't remember the details but the point was that (at the time) he didn't believe in God and Hugh Freeze was using that against him on the recruiting trail. Wyatt got a little worked up and ended up letting Richard know that he shouldn't say stuff like that on the air, especially if he didn't know for a fact that it was true. Tensions got a little high so they went to commercial and not another word was said. I imagine Wyatt let him have it during the break. Wish they were still on the air.

Bump for people who constantly talk about 50/50 balls and JG not making presnap reads.

I'm not a JG hater but he must get better at getting rid of the ball while under pressure. I think he needs to learn to throw out of bounds instead of taking the sack. I believe he calls the right protection most of the time but with a struggling OL it's hard to justify.

Way too much evidence and positive explanation for the NegaVols to handle!! Hehe. JG improved a bunch from year 1 to year 2, unfortunately we didn't have 10 others do the same on offense. He's a seasoned vet now with obvious arm talent and veterans around him to go along with a few well documented deficiencies. We've got to improve running the football and I think we will. I think JG is on track in his development and could have a big season next year vs a weak schedule that will only include 4-5 tough defensive units. I know that we've all been beat up the last few years but even the most negative of all NegaVols has to be encouraged somewhat going into the next 2 seasons.

Next season is critical for JG, the team and Pruitt! If JG improves his play and Vols have success next year (9+ wins) then we could very well be competing for the east championship by year 3 with JG/Pruitt. Insert HB at QB and we'll compete for playoffs year 4-6. I think that's our best case scenario. Worst case scenario is that JG struggles early next year, insert either of our backups who also struggle and Pruitt then would have to put his job on the line with HB starting as a true freshman at QB for CJP in year 3. Bottom line in my opinion is that JG gives us the best shot this next year, the kid loves it in Knoxville, he's working his tail off to get better, his toughness has helped his leadership skills and he's a fighter like CJP. I'm well aware that he could struggle behind a still developing OL and new OC next year, maybe he hasn't fixed all of his deficiencies but I'm betting he's better and much improved next year. If he was from Knoxville he'd be a hero by now based off his toughness alone, but he's from north of the Mason Dixon line and has yet to win over our entire fanbase, many can't get over the fact that they thought he pouted a bit when Dormandy was named starter, I'd probably had pouted as well being benched for Dormandy.

So, who is right? This guy in the video who is breaking down the film calling JG's passes great passes, or the people on here saying JG just threw up 50/50 balls and his receiver made plays? Who is the clock in this scenario?
Both. JG did good in this game even though it has been proven to be a total fluke.

Both. JG did good in this game even though it has been proven to be a total fluke.
Been proven to who? The ones who are too emotional to use logic? QB has 10 guys around him and you can only see 5 or 6 of the others on TV. Tell me what routes the WRs ran and who was open. Not to mention 5 of the ones you can see are probably the worst Tennessee OL I've ever watched.

Been proven to who? The ones who are too emotional to use logic? QB has 10 guys around him and you can only see 5 or 6 of the others on TV. Tell me what routes the WRs ran and who was open. Not to mention 5 of the ones you can see are probably the worst Tennessee OL I've ever watched.
Lol no. Obviously the JG homers dont understand it.

That's not my question. I asked who was right between the guy breaking down the film and the people on here saying JG just threw up 50/50 balls against Auburn.

That's not my question. I asked who was right between the guy breaking down the film and the people on here saying JG just threw up 50/50 balls against Auburn.
You could say both. I personally though JG was excellent that game and his passing was great. However I also felt that if the WR's didn't go above and beyond there could have been plenty of picks. Those back shoulder throws can get messy. That day everything clicked for the offense.

VN Store

Back