FEMA and POTUS ability to text all U.S. cell phones

Overall, I'm surprised it's taken this long to come up with this. I'm not opposed to the idea since I regularly receive NWS (via third parties) warnings as texts and alerts on my phone. And frankly, it saved me from heading into a flooding area once.

I think some are making a mountain out of a molehill. Does anyone honestly think, other than Stew's tongue in cheek reply, that Trump is going to get the urge to text everyone in the nation at the same time?

GTFO with that nonsense...
I really don't give a damn if he texts me. I figure if he does, it's likely a lie anyway. :rolleyes:

Overall, I'm surprised it's taken this long to come up with this. I'm not opposed to the idea since I regularly receive NWS (via third parties) warnings as texts and alerts on my phone. And frankly, it saved me from heading into a flooding area once.

I think some are making a mountain out of a molehill. Does anyone honestly think, other than Stew's tongue in cheek reply, that Trump is going to get the urge to text everyone in the nation at the same time?

GTFO with that nonsense...
It isn't about Trump, it is about future Presidents. Of course he isn't going to text in the middle of the night after watching Fox News and getting a sad.

The point is it is another tool, another way in, under the benevolent guise of the military industrial complex and militarized police. It will be abused eventually and often.
I have a choice to give private companies my information. I have an app for weather related alerts. I don't seem to have a choice in this new system. It is yet another way for the government to gain information. How long before we see government specific ads? Who gets the honor of using it first for political gain? When does it become a propaganda tool?
Like I said earlier, they can kick rocks.

Reactions: davethevol
Absolutely, completely opposed to this in every way, regardless of who is President. Further chance of privacy invasion and spying by the NSA. FEMA and the government can kick rocks and stay out of my texts.
If the government has spied on any of my texts to my wife since we've been married, they're probably thinking I'm a nympho 😆

It isn't about Trump, it is about future Presidents. Of course he isn't going to text in the middle of the night after watching Fox News and getting a sad.

The point is it is another tool, another way in, under the benevolent guise of the military industrial complex and militarized police. It will be abused eventually and often.
I have a choice to give private companies my information. I have an app for weather related alerts. I don't seem to have a choice in this new system. It is yet another way for the government to gain information. How long before we see government specific ads? Who gets the honor of using it first for political gain? When does it become a propaganda tool?

TMuiJgS.jpg

how is the government getting information from this? everything I have seen has been about a one way communication. annoying, yes, breach of privacy?????

the propaganda thing is my main concern, and people arguing about what counts as a national disaster. "Oh so and so president sent out a text when LA got hit by a 5.2 earthquake, but not when Texas got hit by a 5.8" that kind of crap will suck and needlessly divide us.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Not to mention that during a so-called "emergency", our friendly neighborhood FEMA could share our information with our friendly neighborhood militarized police force without our consent or knowledge.
Might as well have ankle bracelets for everyone so Big Brother can keep us "safe" and accounted for.
dafuq? Did someone sensible hijack your account?????

Told my wife about it before she left. The hens she works with will cackle about the alert and be convinced the world is ending.
I am just wondering if it will use a similar tone to the amber alerts, and if we are going to have 20+ going off at once in the office.

I am just wondering if it will use a similar tone to the amber alerts, and if we are going to have 20+ going off at once in the office.
You should send a text from a burner number an hour before the scheduled alert. Make it look all official. Tell recipients to turn off mobile device for 59 minutes as a network sync for FEMA servers.

Hamilton county does this one Wednesday a month and yes it’s the amber alert sound. I was in Target one day when it happened, sounded like the place was melting down.

Been warned at work about a phone scam at the same time. Requires a response. Trump's does not.

VN Store

Back