FEMA and POTUS ability to text all U.S. cell phones

Besides being creepy as hell, I don't need my phone to be used as a psa device for 2 entities that would be the last entities I would trust if I had a problem. It is past due that we refer to ourselves as subjects instead of citizens.

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
In coordination with the FCC, The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will test a new text alert system on September 20 which would allow the President to send messages directly to U.S. citizens during a national emergency.

Source

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, but have some reservations about the potential of this being politicized.

What do you guys think?
I like it in premise. I know people who hardly use traditional media delivery systems (tv & radio) and only use phone, tablet or computer.

The reservation is this ability will be politicized, will "cry wolf" creating apathy, and be used for non emergency reasons.

Do you think that was an Obama thing?
I think it was an Obama thing after it was a Bush thing. Bush was the worst president in my lifetime. The untold damage he did to civil liberties and the death and destruction he wrought across the globe was truly criminal. Obama was the one that was supposed to reverse this but he instead he held pat. He continued Bush the Lessors unconstitutional wars and attacks on civil liberties and started a few new conflicts as well. Obama, while not as bad as Bush, was the biggest phony elected in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Meh I don’t think they will ask for my opinion , besides we are already being tracked, traced, watched and listened to six ways to Sunday . Try living off a major naval base where your kids and friends are serving and ask them if you “ accidentally get caught up in sweeps” .

Yes. As it has been with the rest of our govt. Are you saying it's ok for Obama to do it as long as he's not alone?

No, I am saying that singling out Obama on this issue is just one more attempt to blame him for everything. This isn't a one president issue. We have been sacrificing civil liberties since day 1.

Absolutely, completely opposed to this in every way, regardless of who is President. Further chance of privacy invasion and spying by the NSA. FEMA and the government can kick rocks and stay out of my texts.
Zeppelin, aren't you a liberal?

In coordination with the FCC, The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will test a new text alert system on September 20 which would allow the President to send messages directly to U.S. citizens during a national emergency.

Source

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, but have some reservations about the potential of this being politicized.

What do you guys think?

no.gif

Zeppelin, aren't you a liberal?
Not sure why I'm engaging, but yes, that is the simplest way to define my politics. And no, I'm not a Democrat, or a Marxist. I'm very progressive when it comes to social and civil issues, and fairly centrist on economic and foreign policy issues. I've been called a Social Libertarian by others, but I'm not sure that fits.
I don't see this as a left vs. right political issue. The encroachment of government into our civil liberties and privacy, beginning under Bush with the Patriot Act, continuing through Obama with his abject failure to get rid of it, and currently with Trump using the same policies as his predecessors is one of the gravest threats to everyone's privacy and personal liberty. I don't want the Feds snooping in my business. I don't even want them snooping in yours, happyvol. This texting system seems nice on the surface, but it is yet another tool of the military industrial complex and the Feds to violate civil rights.

Reactions: midnight orange
Not sure why I'm engaging, but yes, that is the simplest way to define my politics. And no, I'm not a Democrat, or a Marxist. I'm very progressive when it comes to social and civil issues, and fairly centrist on economic and foreign policy issues. I've been called a Social Libertarian by others, but I'm not sure that fits.
I don't see this as a left vs. right political issue. The encroachment of government into our civil liberties and privacy, beginning under Bush with the Patriot Act, continuing through Obama with his abject failure to get rid of it, and currently with Trump using the same policies as his predecessors is one of the gravest threats to everyone's privacy and personal liberty. I don't want the Feds snooping in my business. I don't even want them snooping in yours, happyvol. This texting system seems nice on the surface, but it is yet another tool of the military industrial complex and the Feds to violate civil rights.
I would agree that Bush's homeland was a pandoras box, because a guy like Obama would completely abuse it. Sorry, you cant be socially liberal and fiscally not. Those two ideas cant work together.

I already know he's taking pictures of us eating dinner through my microwave. Why can't he just communicate there? This seems redundant.

I already know he's taking pictures of us eating dinner through my microwave. Why can't he just communicate there? This seems redundant.
You eat dinner "through" your microwave. Open the microwave door and get the food out next time. It will go much smoother.

I would agree that Bush's homeland was a pandoras box, because a guy like Obama would completely abuse it. Sorry, you cant be socially liberal and fiscally not. Those two ideas cant work together.
I know it is hard to grasp when a person unequivocally spouts the party line of Fox News, Breitbart, and Lord Red Hat. But you can actually have varying viewpoints on a variety of issues. I know that is tough to wrap the brain around, but alas, it can and usually does happen.

What do you guys think?

I'm still trying to figure out how we got on the tangent of "muh PRIVACY!"

I know it is hard to grasp when a person unequivocally spouts the party line of Fox News, Breitbart, and Lord Red Hat. But you can actually have varying viewpoints on a variety of issues. I know that is tough to wrap the brain around, but alas, it can and usually does happen.
Lol, I guess you can, even though they aren't consistent but are contradictory and whacko. I want to go fantasy land too

Ha, I dunno.. But if Trump bathroom texts me at 3 am, you will hear me complain.

Overall, I'm surprised it's taken this long to come up with this. I'm not opposed to the idea since I regularly receive NWS (via third parties) warnings as texts and alerts on my phone. And frankly, it saved me from heading into a flooding area once.

I think some are making a mountain out of a molehill. Does anyone honestly think, other than Stew's tongue in cheek reply, that Trump is going to get the urge to text everyone in the nation at the same time?

GTFO with that nonsense...

Overall, I'm surprised it's taken this long to come up with this. I'm not opposed to the idea since I regularly receive NWS (via third parties) warnings as texts and alerts on my phone. And frankly, it saved me from heading into a flooding area once.

I think some are making a mountain out of a molehill. Does anyone honestly think, other than Stew's tongue in cheek reply, that Trump is going to get the urge to text everyone in the nation at the same time?

GTFO with that nonsense...

I suppose if embedded protocols, apps, or whatever makes these things work are strickly limited to one-way notifications, there couldn't be much harm.

The potential for abuse is there, but I honestly don't think it will be an issue.

Hell, we already have to hear about his stupid stream of consciousness tweets all the time. No way I want him having a direct line to my personal cell. There had better be an opt out.
I'm guessing it will work much like an Amber Alert.

VN Store

Back