ETSU thread

Just want to throw in an opinion. Does anyone know how important it is when Randy Sanders and two proven quarterbacks comes rolling in to Knoxville and throws his first year as a head coach offense that is his specialty against Pruitt's first year as a head coach defense? Sanders will do for ETSU football what Steve Forbes did for basketball and both were former Tennessee assistants in the glory years for Tennessee in both sports.
Glory years were the Ernie and Bernie years.......in hoops

So...with UT Football being about as enjoyable as a trip to the Russian Amateur Proctology Clinic these days, I went looking for another team I could watch without getting all bent out of shape if they lost...or sucked. Being a native of East TN, I ended up picking East Tennessee State. Puts checkmarks in a lot of boxes. It's a Tennessee team; East Tennessee; FCS team (they actually have a playoff); Buccaneers is a cool name (not sure how many actual buccaneers made it to Appalachia, but still cool); blue/gold/white is a neat uniform combo; and a UT alum is the head coach. So, Bucs it is.

As luck would have it, the Southern Conference (SOCON) season was postponed until the spring of '21, so the Bucs actually start play on February 20th. They have an 8 game all-conference schedule, and the SOCON has an ESPN contract, so there's a decent chance I'll get to see them play some on TV. Wife and I have even discussed a weekend getaway to Johnson City for a home game. In any event, I have no idea how good they are (or not); no idea how good their roster is (or not); and no idea what to expect. Should be fun. If not, no skin off my nose.

I'm still a Vol fan first and foremost, but now I have the Bucs to fall back on as a team that will just be enjoyable to watch...even if they're not.

So...GO ETSU!!! BUC 'EM UP!!!

:cool:

Last edited:
So...with UT Football being about as enjoyable as a trip to the Russian Amateur Proctology Clinic these days, I went looking for another team I could watch without getting all bent out of shape if they lost...or sucked. Being a native of East TN, I ended up picking East Tennessee State. Puts checkmarks in a lot of boxes. It's a Tennessee team; East Tennessee; FCS team (they actually have a playoff); Buccaneers is a cool name (not sure how many actual buccaneers made it to Appalachia, but still cool); blue/gold/white is a neat uniform combo; and a UT alum is the head coach. So, Bucs it is.

As luck would have it, the Southern Conference (SOCON) season was postponed until the spring of '21, so the Bucs actually start play on February 20th. They have an 8 game all-conference schedule, and the SOCON has an ESPN contract, so there's a decent chance I'll get to see them play some on TV. Wife and I have even discussed a weekend getaway to Johnson City for a home game. In any event, I have no idea how good they are (or not); no idea how good their roster is (or not); and no idea what to expect. Should be fun. If not, no skin off my nose.

I'm still a Vol fan first and foremost, but now I have the Bucs to fall back on as a team that will just be enjoyable to watch...even if they're not.

Live SoCon football is a lot of fun. Really looking forward to tailgating without worrying about when other games are coming on TV.

Live SoCon football is a lot of fun. Really looking forward to tailgating without worrying about when other games are coming on TV.
Are they playing in the spring?

I will watch if I can find it on the (youtube)tv.

ETSU and Kennesaw State need to start playing again in the future.:cool: Kennesaw State owes ETSU a bit of payback for 2016's 20-17 overtime loss in Kennesaw.;)

Did Sanders let the football team kneel like the basketball team? Lots of bad press for bball bucs, whether you agree with it or not you have to know your crowd and that did not play out especially well in Johnson City...

Reactions: Border Vol
Did Sanders let the football team kneel like the basketball team? Lots of bad press for bball bucs, whether you agree with it or not you have to know your crowd and that did not play out especially well in Johnson City...

I don't believe so. I'm sure we would've heard something by now if they did.

I watched the game on TV. Nothing was said by the TV guys

Reactions: Border Vol

I live a few miles from the ETSU campus and I must say I was pretty impressed with their football stadium when I first moved up here (emphasis on quality not capacity). I also agree that ETSU is a very likable school and has pretty decent athletics with MBB and football occasionally in the national spotlight.

Look forward to taking in a game or two this spring.

I live a few miles from the ETSU campus and I must say I was pretty impressed with their football stadium when I first moved up here (emphasis on quality not capacity). I also agree that ETSU is a very likable school and has pretty decent athletics with MBB and football occasionally in the national spotlight.

Look forward to taking in a game or two this spring.

I go to a few games a year. It's a great atmosphere. You'll have a good time

There's was an underground waterway found near ETSU that was called Pirate's Creek. There's a legend that a Pirate named Jean Paul LeBucque somehow found his was from the Atlantic Ocean to Pirate's Creek to store his gold. It's believed the land gave way and he died. And now you know why the name.

Also, I don't know that it was ever official, but we always said "It's time to get Buc'd up"

There's was an underground waterway found near ETSU that was called Pirate's Creek. There's a legend that a Pirate named Jean Paul LeBucque somehow found his was from the Atlantic Ocean to Pirate's Creek to store his gold. It's believed the land gave way and he died. And now you know why the name.

Also, I don't know that it was ever official, but we always said "It's time to get Buc'd up"
we usually just say let's go Bucs.

ETSU @ Wofford postponed. Wofford has dropped below the guideline of available players at a specific position group due to a combination of player COVID opt-outs and injuries.

VN Store

Back