Dr Who

my goodness. it is an utterly dismal show. Dr. who fans should be embarrassed by that DEI crap. it's laughable. yet another franchise that the culture marxists/disney have destroyed.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
A common theme seems to be people go through some level of radicalization and then they think something they love went woke when it was actually that way all along.

Reactions: BenGrimm
I do love Dr. Who. It’s been awhile since I’ve enjoyed it. The last Matt Smith season was the last I’ve seen in it’s entirety and I enjoyed it. Circumstances have made it difficult for me to watch or keep up with it since. I realize that the interim is many years, is it worth spending the time to catch up? Obviously I ask this of Dr. Who fans.
Entertainment is by it's nature quite subjective. We all know people who can be on completely different sides of loving/hating X show/movie/band/song/etc. Here's what a lot of people, myself included, feel about Who post Capaldi/Moffat.

I'm just going to say it...I hate Chibnall as a writer pretty much full stop. I actually thought the idea of a female lead on Who could open up some fun but it didn't work for me and I'm putting this way more on Chibnall than Whitaker. There is a lot of "woke" going on but let me explain where most people are coming from with that take.

The Dr is a very old being that's been whizzing about the galaxy for a very long time with the breadth of his (and yes that's what I'm going to be using up to Capaldi) travels everywhere (all manner of planets/species/societies) and literally all of time. It would make sense he would have a pretty egalitarian approach. Being kind, understanding and accepting was part of the character. We had gay characters (actually you didn't want to leave Capt Jack alone with your toaster but clearly written as gay) interracial couples and one reference to the Dr saying a horse's preferred gender should be respected. It didn't "feel" forced in the story lines though...or at least not to be and a lot of others apparently. With Chibnall I could pretty much hear the sound of boxes being checked coming right through the speakers. That's pretty damned annoying in and of itself but then there's just the stories themselves. I had just about lost interest by Ep 4 of season 11 (Arachnids in the UK) and actually had by 5. (Tsuranga Conundrum) Then I had the fantastic misfortune of swinging back much later (ep 12/3) and running into Orphan 55 and haven't watched an episode since. I suppose I should be grateful in that saving me from The Timeless Child. By all accounts I've heard nothing that would make me want the least bit interested in the newer fare either. I've got pretty much all the New Who so if I need a fix I'll just revisit some old faves.

Anyway not sure how helpful this really is but yes...it's not the same animal you've been used to through Smith where you stopped. You might be interested in some of the Capaldi stories as the tone is still similar. You might actually like the latest stuff just be aware from Chibnall onward it's different.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
A common theme seems to be people go through some level of radicalization and then they think something they love went woke when it was actually that way all along.

My favorites are the people that claim Star Trek went woke.

I’m like… have you ever watched Star Trek? 😂😂

Edit: That’s exactly what your link describes

Reactions: n_huffhines
They should work out an agreement with Disney, for Disney to animate the missing episode. The BBC have animated some of them but the animation is hard to watch.

my goodness. it is an utterly dismal show. Dr. who fans should be embarrassed by that DEI crap. it's laughable. yet another franchise that the culture marxists/disney have destroyed.
Have you seen anything you like?

VN Store

Back